Uncle Shannon stating what's become the obvious...

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah no doubt about it. They don't command big NIL (no bigger than they were already getting under the table) until they are established.

Just freaking close the portal to stuff like this. Make them sit out a year again. It's not that difficult. It was OK during the COVID fallout, which is still going on. But going forward, seems like it should end.

I know the portal has helped MSU, but long-term, there will be no 'developmental' programs. We will just trade our stars for the best in G5 and the benchwarmers off the blue bloods. While it wasn't the exact same year, a good example is us getting Justin Robinson but giving up RaRa.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
No salary cap. Need this to happen more to get this under control

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Which is why we spent so much to keep players.
Yeah. I guess you have to choose between the portal helping us, and us having to spend a bunch of money because of the portal. We are just trying to keep our heads above water until they get this under control.

But I still don't see it getting under control. I wish they'd just modify it slightly, allow maybe a program to 'release' a player to the portal, but don't allow the player to just go to the portal, without sitting out a year. That way guys can go find PT elsewhere, but your stars don't leave to get more money. But nobody would ever allow that. Maybe if a player plays under a certain number of plays (like 4 game redshirt or something), a school MUST release him if he asks.

Wow, that may be the solution. Glad I'm such a deep thinker.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The portal has been the problem. And it’s the issue with the simplest solution that doesn’t involve Congress, scotus, complex labor laws, etc.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Yeah. I guess you have to choose between the portal helping us, and us having to spend a bunch of money because of the portal. We are just trying to keep our heads above water until they get this under control.

But I still don't see it getting under control. I wish they'd just modify it slightly, allow maybe a program to 'release' a player to the portal, but don't allow the player to just go to the portal, without sitting out a year. That way guys can go find PT elsewhere, but your stars don't leave to get more money. But nobody would ever allow that. Maybe if a player plays under a certain number of plays (like 4 game redshirt or something), a school MUST release him if he asks.

Wow, that may be the solution. Glad I'm such a deep thinker.
Never happen. High $ teams need talent from lesser programs. ESPN loves the high $ teams.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login