Update on the Hump

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
I did get confirmation today that a main structural beam was damaged. Scaffolding is holding up part of the building. (This is from the school). There have been attempts to see if they can use the Bancorp south arena for home games. No deal has been made as of yet. The damage to the structure isn’t know. They are bringing in an independent engineering firm to asses damages but that hasn’t happened yet. This is all that’s knows currently, this basketball season could be interesting!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I did get confirmation today that a main structural beam was damaged. Scaffolding is holding up part of the building. (This is from the school). There have been attempts to see if they can use the Bancorp south arena for home games. No deal has been made as of yet. The damage to the structure isn’t know. They are bringing in an independent engineering firm to asses damages but that hasn’t happened yet. This is all that’s knows currently, this basketball season could be interesting!
Fire Cohen…

hopefully they will play a few games in Jackson too. I doubt much is going on at the coliseum

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Was this damage caused by the construction company or existing damage they discovered during the renovation? How long does this push the completion date back?

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Oh boy

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Not good, and first game is 3 weeks from tonight, better get that firm there tomorrow.

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
Not good, and first game is 3 weeks from tonight, better get that firm there tomorrow.
It doesn’t matter if they show up tonight. I knew months ago there would not be a game played there this season even without the structural damage. I’m going back tomorrow. I’ll see if I can take pictures of the concourse. 500 men 24/7 couldn’t get that place in playing shape.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Just go ahead and tear it down. You’ve gotten it this far… Hell it sounds like all you need is a stiff breeze to do the job.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Thank you very much for this info Capt. But to me it sounds like the SUCK instead of Interesting. So The Hump is inoperable for the ENTIRE season?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Just tear it down and start over.

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
Wow. Please keep us updated.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Rochester, NY has a nice arena for basketball (Blue Cross Arena). I'm sure Buffalo has one as well.

Last edited:

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
homer simpson belle GIF

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Dumb question maybe, but where are we practicing? I assume the practice facility is off limits too? I really haven’t paid much attention when I’ve been on campus
Or is that whole mize pavilion area separate?

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Play some in Tupelo, some Memphis, some in Jackson, some on the coast
Maybe that’s what’s coming but that’s a fiasco. Between men’s and women’s I’m guessing you’re looking at 35+ dates. All arranged on short notice. Most venues will be a hard no for a lot of the dates you need.

Also there’s the loss of all season ticket, parking and concession revenue. Not to mention the damage to the Starkville economy.

I have to believe they’ll grind whatever gris the mill requires to salvage the SEC season. But the silence from MSU on this issue is deafening.

Last edited:

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
That's why you choose lowest AND best on state contracts. Not just lowest. Cohen will definitely feel some fallout from this. This is going to be a huge deal for scheduling, revenue, morale, and probably will affect recruiting for both teams because of the CF that it's going to cause the season to be

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Do you know if the beam is concrete or steel? I am leaning towards it being a concrete beam based on the uncertainty of the project. Concrete demolition / renovation of major structural systems can be tricky from a contractor and engineering stand point. The whole industry is kind of walking on eggshells right now when it comes to structural concrete damage after the pedestrian bridge collapse down in FL a few years ago.

There could be a long legal battle before any work picks back up. I have a feeling they are fighting on who is going to pay for the consequences of the damage and there is some form of a performance bond on the completion date.

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
Reminder: if we tear down the hump, it would probably extend these crazy scenarios by another 2 years minimum. How could a sub 17 up a beam that badly? This sounds like an operator problem, not a contractor problem. Maybe Shmuley is getting a call.

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
Do you know if the beam is concrete or steel? I am leaning towards it being a concrete beam based on the uncertainty of the project. Concrete demolition / renovation of major structural systems can be tricky from a contractor and engineering stand point. The whole industry is kind of walking on eggshells right now when it comes to structural concrete damage after the pedestrian bridge collapse down in FL a few years ago.

There could be a long legal battle before any work picks back up. I have a feeling they are fighting on who is going to pay for the consequences of the damage and there is some form of a performance bond on the completion date.
I believe steel, but I’m not sure. Work is still going on, which kind of surprised me.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
It doesn’t matter if they show up tonight. I knew months ago there would not be a game played there this season even without the structural damage. I’m going back tomorrow. I’ll see if I can take pictures of the concourse. 500 men 24/7 couldn’t get that place in playing shape.
Sounds like a complete mess, I don’t envy anyone involved with trying to mitigate this. AD will have to announce something soon if that’s the case,, hell as of today you can still go on Ticket website and select season tickets.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
I believe steel, but I’m not sure. Work is still going on, which kind of surprised me.
That does not concern me as much if it is steel. A concrete beam is much harder to repair than a steel one. They are just trying to figure out the fastest way to either repair or replace the damaged member.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
How does a construction team working on improving things 17 up so badly the building is one good fart against a load bearing wall from being condemned? That's like a farmer loading his tanks with round up instead of fertilizer to spray his field with.

Well, I think that has happened at least once. Crop duster in Greenville around 2000ish hooked up I think defoliant on accident early in the season and killed a bunch of fields? This is going off a bar conversation from 20ish years ago, so I'm sure I've got a lot of details wrong, but apparently the crop dusting company's owner's son came in and hooked up the wrong stuff. I think the guy said there was some sort of insurance to pay the farmers and come close to making them whole but that the crop duster operation wouldn't be able to get insurance any more and the son had probably killed his dad's business and ensured that his dad would have to work for somebody that could get insurance. Same conversation talked about a high school or maybe college guy working for a catfish farmer that killed like $100k worth of catfish because he turned the aerator (? or whatever oxygenates the ponds?) off. Not sure if that was Greenville or not but somewhere in the Delta.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Two things:
1. Bankcorp South Arena is now Cadence Bank Arena, I just found that out when I searched for their Nov/Dec schedule which leads me to item 2.
2. Here's a link to that schedule. The arena has a lot of "Public Ice Skating" dates throughout the holidays starting in November from 1:00-9:00 and running through mid January which means the ice floor will be down and not a basketball court. I know they put courts over ice on occasion but having to do that every couple days and then take it off every time for skating plus the rent on the building for basketball isn't going to make that feasible I wouldn't think. You can't play basketball when you've got ice skating scheduled unless you want to compensate them for those lost revenues and that makes it worse.

Arena Schedule

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Two things:
1. Bankcorp South Arena is now Cadence Bank Arena, I just found that out when I searched for their Nov/Dec schedule which leads me to item 2.
2. Here's a link to that schedule. The arena has a lot of "Public Ice Skating" dates throughout the holidays starting in November from 1:00-9:00 and running through mid January which means the ice floor will be down and not a basketball court. I know they put courts over ice on occasion but having to do that every couple days and then take it off every time for skating Arena Schedule
I’m gonna say they will upset the 10-20 ice skaters for a shot at full arenas for basketball.

they would probably want a cut of the gate and concessions. And that would be hundreds of times greater that ice skating. And MSU will obviously get that money back from the liable party.

A big question is what they do about the season ticket holders.

Reactions: The Maroon Pug

patdog

May 28, 2007

From what you say, this could be an epic disaster. We may be looking at playing home games away from Starkville not only this year, but also next year and maybe even in 2024-2025. The engineer's assessment will be crucial. It could be something relatively easy to fix. Or it could quickly devolve into a protracted struggle involving the bonding company, the construction company either suspending work or being kicked off site (and possibly going bankrupt and/or ceasing operations), and lawyers, a lot of lawyers.

As for the blame Cohen or not comments, the key is the qualifications of the construction company. If they have a history of successfully completing projects of similar scope and size, then of course he's not to blame. But if they awarded the contract for a $50M renovation to a company that has never done a project over $5M, then anyone at MSU who signed off on the contract should be fired. I'm not saying that's what happened (I have no idea), just throwing it out as an extreme example.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I’m gonna say they will upset the 10-20 ice skaters for a shot at full arenas for basketball.

they would probably want a cut of the gate and concessions. And that would be hundreds of times greater that ice skating. And MSU will obviously get that money back from the liable party.

A big question is what they do about the season ticket holders.
"Full arena for basketball"???
John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Two things:
2. Here's a link to that schedule. The arena has a lot of "Public Ice Skating" dates throughout the holidays starting in November from 1:00-9:00 and running through mid January which means the ice floor will be down and not a basketball court. I know they put courts over ice on occasion but having to do that every couple days and then take it off every time for skating plus the rent on the building for basketball isn't going to make that feasible I wouldn't think. You can't play basketball when you've got ice skating scheduled unless you want to compensate them for those lost revenues and that makes it worse.

Arena Schedule
If the Hump is a washout this season, I would make the Mississippi Coliseum the main home venue for the season, or as long as needed. Before catvet and company come out in full force with reasons not to do this, I'll lay the pro argument out:
  1. Jackson has the largest alumni base and is centrally located, which is key especially on weeknights. I like Tupelo, Southaven, Biloxi and they all have venues that would work for a few games, but for crowd purposes on average we'd be better off having the games in Jackson.
  2. There's almost certainly fewer previously scheduled events in Jackson right now. And the Trade Mart and other venues are right next door, plus the convention center nearby so a lot of the minor shows, etc. can be there and not the main arena.
  3. It would help Jackson (and the state, MDAC) if some money was flowing into and around the coliseum consistently for a change - it would be a good reason and opportunity to clean up some of the infrastructure. Need better traffic flow? Now's your chance. Need more concession stands? Do it now. Those of us who know that Jackson needs to be improved should want that to happen. You could ask some public entities to throw in for it. City/JRA/HCEDA, etc. The 1% committee might see it as an investment with a return.
  4. Before the "crime" trope gets thrown out as the main reason not to do this: (a) the area around the coliseum is NOT where most crime in Jackson happens - that's further west, starting on the other side of downtown; (b) the fairgrounds are completely fenced and can easily be secured; and (c) The state fair just ended with one of the largest attended and most crime-free seasons ever. So it can be done.
Fire away.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login