Update on the Hump

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Sounds like a complete mess, I don’t envy anyone involved with trying to mitigate this. AD will have to announce something soon if that’s the case,, hell as of today you can still go on Ticket website and select season tickets.
The fact that I can order season tickets right now is what makes me think that much of this is just rumors. Can’t imagine the athletic department would want to continue to add layers of complications to this.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That does not concern me as much if it is steel. A concrete beam is much harder to repair than a steel one. They are just trying to figure out the fastest way to either repair or replace the damaged member.
Biggest question would be safety after that. Would you feel comfortable the structure is sound to put 8k people in

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
If the Hump is a washout this season, I would make the Mississippi Coliseum the main home venue for the season, or as long as needed. Before catvet and company come out in full force with reasons not to do this, I'll lay the pro argument out:
  1. Jackson has the largest alumni base and is centrally located, which is key especially on weeknights. I like Tupelo, Southaven, Biloxi and they all have venues that would work for a few games, but for crowd purposes on average we'd be better off having the games in Jackson.
  2. There's almost certainly fewer previously scheduled events in Jackson right now. And the Trade Mart and other venues are right next door, plus the convention center nearby so a lot of the minor shows, etc. can be there and not the main arena.
  3. It would help Jackson (and the state, MDAC) if some money was flowing into and around the coliseum consistently for a change - it would be a good reason and opportunity to clean up some of the infrastructure. Need better traffic flow? Now's your chance. Need more concession stands? Do it now. Those of us who know that Jackson needs to be improved should want that to happen. You could ask some public entities to throw in for it. City/JRA/HCEDA, etc. The 1% committee might see it as an investment with a return.
  4. Before the "crime" trope gets thrown out as the main reason not to do this: (a) the area around the coliseum is NOT where most crime in Jackson happens - that's further west, starting on the other side of downtown; (b) the fairgrounds are completely fenced and can easily be secured; and (c) The state fair just ended with one of the largest attended and most crime-free seasons ever. So it can be done.
Fire away.

We can be 100 percent certain that there will be no more water problems for the season?

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
But if they awarded the contract for a $50M renovation to a company that has never done a project over $5M
Projects like these bid from a list of invited GC's. Meaning if you don't have the chops you weren't in the room when they were opened.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
I just talked to someone who would know and they said you’re full of ****.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If the Hump being out is correct, this is probably the right approach. I think we should use Tupelo, South Memphis (whichever of those places has the arena that the G-League plays (or used to play) at, and the Coast when we can, and have Jackson as the default essentially. I would assume between all those places, we could piece together an entire "home" schedule. Wonder whether it gives any of our opponents an opportunity to cancel on us though.

Will suck for the players to not have a true home court advantage where they are comfortable, but by spreading it out over all those players they can make sure that we maximize crowds and also ensure we have somewhere for each game.

The other terrible alternative to contemplate is trading out a lot of OOC home games for away games with an agreement that we get a return trip in the future. Not sure about the economis of that and would involve us playing in some ****** venues probably but would take some of the logistics headaches off our side to just turn a home game into an away game rather than try to set up lots of "home" games in venues we don't control.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If the Hump is a washout this season, I would make the Mississippi Coliseum the main home venue for the season, or as long as needed. Before catvet and company come out in full force with reasons not to do this, I'll lay the pro argument out:
  1. Jackson has the largest alumni base and is centrally located, which is key especially on weeknights. I like Tupelo, Southaven, Biloxi and they all have venues that would work for a few games, but for crowd purposes on average we'd be better off having the games in Jackson.
  2. There's almost certainly fewer previously scheduled events in Jackson right now. And the Trade Mart and other venues are right next door, plus the convention center nearby so a lot of the minor shows, etc. can be there and not the main arena.
  3. It would help Jackson (and the state, MDAC) if some money was flowing into and around the coliseum consistently for a change - it would be a good reason and opportunity to clean up some of the infrastructure. Need better traffic flow? Now's your chance. Need more concession stands? Do it now. Those of us who know that Jackson needs to be improved should want that to happen. You could ask some public entities to throw in for it. City/JRA/HCEDA, etc. The 1% committee might see it as an investment with a return.
  4. Before the "crime" trope gets thrown out as the main reason not to do this: (a) the area around the coliseum is NOT where most crime in Jackson happens - that's further west, starting on the other side of downtown; (b) the fairgrounds are completely fenced and can easily be secured; and (c) The state fair just ended with one of the largest attended and most crime-free seasons ever. So it can be done.
Fire away.
Too far from Starkville. Tupelo is a better option for team travel and the hope of having local season ticket holders show up. I have zero confidence in item 3. The idea that the funds would be appropriated as appropriate is an inappropriate take. Sorry about that last sentence, I couldn't help myself.

Finally, the City is back in a pissing match with the State about the water plant control/hiring/etc. They basically don't like being cut out of the loop due to incompetence, and due to that same incompetence, are arguing against the help they are getting. No doubt Tater is poking baby Chok along the way as he offers his help with barbs and such. Long story short, there is a real possibility that at some point during the season the place would have somewhere between non-potable to no water.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgg

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
I, for one, am glad we have this Hump crisis to take our minds off football.
Yea. Auburn at least has basketball. We have a renovated big ole building on the hill that perfectly sums up the MSU athletic department. Something good happens.. and then some ******** happens out of left field to negate it.

Oct 14, 2021
I did get confirmation today that a main structural beam was damaged. Scaffolding is holding up part of the building. (This is from the school). There have been attempts to see if they can use the Bancorp south arena for home games. No deal has been made as of yet. The damage to the structure isn’t know. They are bringing in an independent engineering firm to asses damages but that hasn’t happened yet. This is all that’s knows currently, this basketball season could be interesting!
Tad Pad is available. Bring your buckets.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I’m gonna say they will upset the 10-20 ice skaters for a shot at full arenas for basketball.

they would probably want a cut of the gate and concessions. And that would be hundreds of times greater that ice skating. And MSU will obviously get that money back from the liable party.

A big question is what they do about the season ticket holders.
The times I've taken my kids skating they probably have 50 - 100 people there. So over an 8 hour period I'd guess they could have 500 - 1000 people skating. At $15 a person, that's bringing in ~$10,000 each day. I know the head guy said a few years ago it was profitable considering they already had the ice down for a Disney event. Not near as much as concerts but not bad during a slow time of the year.

I really can't imagine our basketball games being played in Tupelo averaging more than 1000 people (women's & men's combined, in & out of conference).

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
I did get confirmation today that a main structural beam was damaged. Scaffolding is holding up part of the building. (This is from the school). There have been attempts to see if they can use the Bancorp south arena for home games. No deal has been made as of yet. The damage to the structure isn’t know. They are bringing in an independent engineering firm to asses damages but that hasn’t happened yet. This is all that’s knows currently, this basketball season could be interesting!

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Exactly what someone trying to cover up critical structural damage would say.
When you say "absolutely no truth to it at all", that's pretty definitive. Sounds like someone seriously misunderstood something they were told/saw, and it's completely false. Very strange

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

Also on the plan set viewable on the msstate website, it shows that the planned completion date for the new concourse is August 2023. The concourse being gutted right now doesn’t mean anything, work was meant to take place throughout this season and work around game days. Have no idea if there are delays, but original intent was to finish in time for the 2023-2024 season.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
When you say "absolutely no truth to it at all", that's pretty definitive. Sounds like someone seriously misunderstood something they were told/saw, and it's completely false. Very strange
Dont Get It Fran Healy GIF by Travis

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Too far from Starkville. Tupelo is a better option for team travel and the hope of having local season ticket holders show up. I have zero confidence in item 3. The idea that the funds would be appropriated as appropriate is an inappropriate take. Sorry about that last sentence, I couldn't help myself.

Finally, the City is back in a pissing match with the State about the water plant control/hiring/etc. They basically don't like being cut out of the loop due to incompetence, and due to that same incompetence, are arguing against the help they are getting. No doubt Tater is poking baby Chok along the way as he offers his help with barbs and such. Long story short, there is a real possibility that at some point during the season the place would have somewhere between non-potable to no water.
I’m not going to defend the city of Jackson because the leadership sucks… however, the AG commissioner had a well dug at the coliseum sometime last year I think. So, the coliseum does not need Jackson water. I believe during the water situation, residents of Jackson were able to fill up water jugs from the coliseum’s well.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
My information came from someone within the school that is very much in the know on any project going on, on campus. Take that for what you will. Maybe was misinformed but I strongly doubt it.
Sounds like you were misinformed. The tweet that Rhett put out would be very hard to walk back.

Reactions: ArcherSPS

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
My information came from someone within the school that is very much in the know on any project going on, on campus. Take that for what you will. Maybe was misinformed but I strongly doubt it.
Ha okay sure swing a huge miss, Captain.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Well, I think that has happened at least once. Crop duster in Greenville around 2000ish hooked up I think defoliant on accident early in the season and killed a bunch of fields? This is going off a bar conversation from 20ish years ago, so I'm sure I've got a lot of details wrong, but apparently the crop dusting company's owner's son came in and hooked up the wrong stuff. I think the guy said there was some sort of insurance to pay the farmers and come close to making them whole but that the crop duster operation wouldn't be able to get insurance any more and the son had probably killed his dad's business and ensured that his dad would have to work for somebody that could get insurance. Same conversation talked about a high school or maybe college guy working for a catfish farmer that killed like $100k worth of catfish because he turned the aerator (? or whatever oxygenates the ponds?) off. Not sure if that was Greenville or not but somewhere in the Delta.
A golf course in Birmingham just recently sprayed their greens with roundup instead of fertilizer.

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022
Fire away.
All true. Coliseum is old but has new seats and the new adjoining trade mart is nice.
And Jackson is alive and well with great places to eat downtown. Ask someone that works in the area. You can't go by the shootings in the rough areas in less than stellar circumstances. The water issue is certainly a political circus but the fairgrounds has it's own well after water disrupted an event last year. Com of Ag used the whole "fool me once" mentality.

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
Ha okay sure swing a huge miss, Captain.
Man you don’t have to believe me. I have no reason to lie. We will see if the university comes out and says anything but I doubt they do regardless of outcome. They board asked questions about it and I just so happened to know information. It’s that simple. My information isn’t gospel. It’s just what I’ve heard from someone close to the project.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I’m not going to defend the city of Jackson because the leadership sucks… however, the AG commissioner had a well dug at the coliseum sometime last year I think. So, the coliseum does not need Jackson water. I believe during the water situation, residents of Jackson were able to fill up water jugs from the coliseum’s well.
Was not aware. Good point.

llmsudawg

Mar 3, 2008
Fire away.
Won't work. MS Coliseum isn't going to give up 'The Dixie National' in February for MSU basketball.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login