Update on the Hump

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I did get confirmation today that a main structural beam was damaged. Scaffolding is holding up part of the building. (This is from the school). There have been attempts to see if they can use the Bancorp south arena for home games. No deal has been made as of yet. The damage to the structure isn’t know. They are bringing in an independent engineering firm to asses damages but that hasn’t happened yet. This is all that’s knows currently, this basketball season could be interesting!
Rhett Hobart debunked this rumor on twitter!

Goulla

Oct 18, 2022
Won't work. MS Coliseum isn't going to give up 'The Dixie National' in February for MSU basketball.
If Nascar can run Bristol Motor Speedway covered in dirt, basketball can be played on dirt. A 3 pointer flinging cow poo would put a new spin on things.

Reactions: MeridianDog

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
College Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA March Madness

this is the only "structural damage" happening at the Hump this season, courtesy of one Mr. Tolu Smith.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
I really can't imagine our basketball games being played in Tupelo averaging more than 1000 people (women's & men's combined, in & out of conference).

We have played a 4 games in Tupelo at the Bancorp Area. The games in the Stansbury era were sold out. The last game in the Rick Ray era (2013) against SE LA was probably about 75-80% full.

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Man you don’t have to believe me. I have no reason to lie. We will see if the university comes out and says anything but I doubt they do regardless of outcome. They board asked questions about it and I just so happened to know information. It’s that simple. My information isn’t gospel. It’s just what I’ve heard from someone close to the project.
So one of the top people in the AD saying it was BS isn’t good enough for you lol. You read that rumor on 247 and ran with it. You honestly believed that they were just going to keep selling season tickets if it wasn’t going to be anywhere but Starkville? Hell I actually asked someone who would know this morning at breakfast and they said this thread was BS.

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
So one of the top people in the AD saying it was BS isn’t good enough for you lol. You read that rumor on 247 and ran with it. You honestly believed that they were just going to keep selling season tickets if it wasn’t going to be anywhere but Starkville? Hell I actually asked someone who would know this morning at breakfast and they said this thread was BS.
Never forget Tents4Tickets

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Rhett Hobart debunked this rumor on twitter!
Also season tics still available online w/less than 3 weeks until initial tip off and a new flex season tickets pass is now available.

Bo mentioned it as a rumor this morning on his show & had Steve on but Steve would not speculate on the status of the Hump or the start of MSU baseball season there fwiw.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
I’m not going to defend the city of Jackson because the leadership sucks… however, the AG commissioner had a well dug at the coliseum sometime last year I think. So, the coliseum does not need Jackson water. I believe during the water situation, residents of Jackson were able to fill up water jugs from the coliseum’s well.
Wonder who is in charge of treating water taken from the well from the Coliseum…

Sep 15, 2009
That's why you choose lowest AND best on state contracts. Not just lowest. Cohen will definitely feel some fallout from this. This is going to be a huge deal for scheduling, revenue, morale, and probably will affect recruiting for both teams because of the CF that it's going to cause the season to be
Yes, but unfortunately when political subdivisions or entities of the state (cities, universities, counties) are using state dollars, the state entity (MDOT, IHL, etc.) will insist that you go with the lowest, and if you don't they will pull their matching funding. MDOT does it all the time. We have contractors that we know are awful, and have literally begged MDOT not to force us to use them, to no avail. Last project that we begged them not make us use the lowest bidder, it cost us over 8 months of time to complete, the road had to be completely dug up and repaved because the underlying work was collapsing, and this was before the job was even done. It's done now, looks like crap, and is literally falling apart. This was just a regular 4 lane road, that we added a median, did some water and sewer upgrades underneath, and added sidewalks because it cuts right through a busy business district. The work is 3 years old, and its dreadful. If STATE is using its own money, you are absolutely correct. They should have gone with the best and lowest; not just the lowest.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm not saying anything is or isn't BS, but I totally believe the school would continue to sell season tickets even with a threat looming that there would be no actual games played at the Hump.

I think it's a lot more likely that the school would sell the tickets then do some kind of 'make right' for the season ticket holders if the Hump is closed this season than to simply stop selling them.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Won't work. MS Coliseum isn't going to give up 'The Dixie National' in February for MSU basketball.
Dammit... and early February is just about the time we get our hopes up just before the inevitable disappointment that late February and early March bring.

We can't have our hopes dashed in the CrossRoads Arena in Corinth or at Pohl Gym in Columbus! We need them dashed on a big stage!

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'm not saying anything is or isn't BS, but I totally believe the school would continue to sell season tickets even with a threat looming that there would be no actual games played at the Hump.

I think it's a lot more likely that the school would sell the tickets then do some kind of 'make right' for the season ticket holders if the Hump is closed this season than to simply stop selling them.
Absolutely - it would be just like 2020 tickets. You could get a refund, apply credit to next season, or donate all of it to BDC for extra lifetime points.

Reactions: Dawgg

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
The fact that I can order season tickets right now is what makes me think that much of this is just rumors. Can’t imagine the athletic department would want to continue to add layers of complications to this.
In this day and age, everyone's asking for forgiveness instead of permission. Wouldn't surprise me one bit for the Athletic Dept to take your money now only to "work it out" with you (and others) later.

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." -- J. W. Wimpy

patdog

May 28, 2007

No doubt. As long as there’s any chance at all of playing this is exactly what they’d do. And someone in the athletic dept would say the rumor is categorically false.

Reactions: HotMop and Dawgg

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
I was actually looking forward to a full season inside the belly of an ancient volcano.

Caveman>Injuns
Adds to the excitement of the game. Someone farts off a Krystal Hamburger and the crowd goes into emergency evacuation mode

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I hope they can play some home games on the MS coast and Jackson. That would give us South Mississippi bulldogs a little easier of a drive. I would love to see us play 2-3 SEC games on the coast. We would fill that place up.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
There are MSU staff that have seen the damage and think there is no way we will play in 3 weeks. Same people said that leadership keeps telling them it will be ready to go.

I think you are right. They (leadership) are planning to play in the Hump even though several people, including someone I know personally, doesn’t think the damages can get fixed in time.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
If the Hump is a washout this season, I would make the Mississippi Coliseum the main home venue for the season, or as long as needed. Before catvet and company come out in full force with reasons not to do this, I'll lay the pro argument out:
  1. Jackson has the largest alumni base and is centrally located, which is key especially on weeknights. I like Tupelo, Southaven, Biloxi and they all have venues that would work for a few games, but for crowd purposes on average we'd be better off having the games in Jackson.
  2. There's almost certainly fewer previously scheduled events in Jackson right now. And the Trade Mart and other venues are right next door, plus the convention center nearby so a lot of the minor shows, etc. can be there and not the main arena.
  3. It would help Jackson (and the state, MDAC) if some money was flowing into and around the coliseum consistently for a change - it would be a good reason and opportunity to clean up some of the infrastructure. Need better traffic flow? Now's your chance. Need more concession stands? Do it now. Those of us who know that Jackson needs to be improved should want that to happen. You could ask some public entities to throw in for it. City/JRA/HCEDA, etc. The 1% committee might see it as an investment with a return.
  4. Before the "crime" trope gets thrown out as the main reason not to do this: (a) the area around the coliseum is NOT where most crime in Jackson happens - that's further west, starting on the other side of downtown; (b) the fairgrounds are completely fenced and can easily be secured; and (c) The state fair just ended with one of the largest attended and most crime-free seasons ever. So it can be done.
Fire away.
This makes a lot of sense even though there are no sure fire easy solutions because all are gonna suck to some degree because we can't play in a revovated Hump. One of my biggest concerns is travel time / distance for our players so my favorite spot, on the coast just seems to far from Vegas. Tough decisions are when all all options have a degree of suck to them so IMO we need to take the one that sucks less. My mom is still kicking in Jacktown and I know a lot of you have a bad legit opinion of our capital but I like the idea of some bidness $ flowing into that area of Our STATE. BTW, what are the downsides to Tupelo? Wouldn't that be the closest? Don't know enough about the capacity of their facility.

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
Man you don’t have to believe me. I have no reason to lie. We will see if the university comes out and says anything but I doubt they do regardless of outcome. They board asked questions about it and I just so happened to know information. It’s that simple. My information isn’t gospel. It’s just what I’ve heard from someone close to the project.
I believe you
292274D1-2B33-4E4B-A5B2-17EDCDD3C708.gif

• Haha
Reactions: SteelCurtain74

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Those A holes are trying to double charge me for Men’s basketball this year. Paid in full a couple on months again when I ordered them and now just got a new bill. Someone is gonna get an *** chewing.
I hope it’s that wimp loafers wanna be Hemphill. He is weak as water.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login