USA basketball...

patdog

May 28, 2007
It wouldn’t matter which era or rules they used 2012 would dominate. If you’re saying the dream team was the better team in regards to the players on it at that time and in that era against the competition they played then you have a great argument. But if you took the 2012 team and put them on the same court as the 92 dream team and they played the 2012 team would win by 30. The 2012 team has 10 Jordan’s on it as far as athleticism goes. Basketball has grown so much internationally since then the 2012 team played much better competition as well.
Seriously? 10 Jordan’s?

Reactions: Dawgg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It wouldn’t matter which era or rules they used 2012 would dominate. If you’re saying the dream team was the better team in regards to the players on it at that time and in that era against the competition they played then you have a great argument. But if you took the 2012 team and put them on the same court as the 92 dream team and they played the 2012 team would win by 30. The 2012 team has 10 Jordan’s on it as far as athleticism goes. Basketball has grown so much internationally since then the 2012 team played much better competition as well.
R.I.P. your mentions.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Interesting topic on how Kobe started that game. Kinda like a pitcher intentionally popping a batter but not aiming for the head or intentionally targeting but not a gruesome hit. Was an ejection warranted on Kobe? The play makes my patriotic juices pump and I bet Kobe's were too. "Sorry Man but You're on the Wrong Damn Team Today. That's Just an Early Example of How Bad Your Azz is Fixin' to Get Kicked All Day". Representing His Country was important to him as opposed to today's athletes' attitudes.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
They have a pretty tough game out of the gate with Serbia tomorrow at 10:00 am. Also the flu is going around the team which is not ideal.

Four of their starting five are currently playing in the NBA headlined by The Joker Nikola Jokic.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Note to self: RopeDawg does NOT know ball.

“10 Jordans” LOL they probably got 10 pairs of his shoes.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I’ll just disagree and move on.
Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

RopeDawg

Feb 24, 2023
Note to self: RopeDawg does NOT know ball.

“10 Jordans” LOL they probably got 10 pairs of his shoes.
I know ball.

92 Jordan? Better overall basketball player but not the same guy athletically as 85-90. But let’s say 10 is excessive. Definitely 5 though. LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Prime KD, Prime Westbrook were all Freaks. Remember, Jordan was playing against the Kevin McHales and Bill Lambiers in his day. Not exactly the peak of athletic ability in the NBA. Hell, Larry Bird could barely stand up when he was on the Dream Team. You think Ewing could guard anyone up full court for 25+ minutes with the pace of play today? Think Malone/Bird/Ewing/Barkley could step out on the perimeter and guard LeBron/KD/ANT/Westbrook/Wade/Kobe off the dribble? 92 Magic would have trouble defending. Stockton wouldn’t make a roster in today’s NBA.

… and I absolutely love all those guys and did when I was a kid it’s just the reality.

Jordan, Robinson and Pippen are only 92’ players that could matchup defensively with today’s players.

this is a reply for dorndog and desoto too.

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
You’re right, 10 is excessive. It’s 5. LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Prime KD, Prime Westbrook were all Freaks. Remember, Jordan was playing against the Kevin McHales and Bill Lambiers in his day. Hell, Larry Bird could barely stand up when he was on the Dream Team. You think Ewing could guard anyone full court for 30+ minutes? Get real
1722356586930.jpeg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I know ball.

92 Jordan? Better overall basketball player but not the same guy athletically as 85-90. But let’s say 10 is excessive. Definitely 5 though. LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Prime KD, Prime Westbrook were all Freaks. Remember, Jordan was playing against the Kevin McHales and Bill Lambiers in his day. Not exactly the peak of athletic ability in the NBA. Hell, Larry Bird could barely stand up when he was on the Dream Team. You think Ewing could guard anyone up full court for 25+ minutes with the pace of play today? Think Malone/Bird/Magic/Barkley could step out on the perimeter and guard LeBron/KD/ANT/Westbrook/Wade/Kobe off the dribble? Stockton wouldn’t be in the NBA today.

Call me crazy but Jordan, David Robinson and maybe Pippen for his rebounding and defense would be the only players on that team that would make it in today’s NBA with their skill set.

I don’t disagree with you. It’s a different game today.

Reactions: Cbassreb

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
I know ball.

92 Jordan? Better overall basketball player but not the same guy athletically as 85-90. But let’s say 10 is excessive. Definitely 5 though. LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Prime KD, Prime Westbrook were all Freaks. Remember, Jordan was playing against the Kevin McHales and Bill Lambiers in his day. Not exactly the peak of athletic ability in the NBA. Hell, Larry Bird could barely stand up when he was on the Dream Team. You think Ewing could guard anyone up full court for 25+ minutes with the pace of play today? Think Malone/Bird/Ewing/Barkley could step out on the perimeter and guard LeBron/KD/ANT/Westbrook/Wade/Kobe off the dribble? 92 Magic would have trouble defending. Stockton wouldn’t make a roster in today’s NBA.

… and I absolutely love all those guys and did when I was a kid it’s just the reality.

Jordan, Robinson and Pippen are only 92’ players that could matchup defensively with today’s players.

Are we trying to win? Because when it comes to winning, there is only one Jordan. All these other people you mention aren't in his class at winning. Stats and measure-ables? Have at it with these guys. Impressive players. Maybe even on the Mt. Rushmore of basketball. But ultimately it's about winning. Jordan won in a way no one has approached since.

And I'll just go ahead and address the Bill Russell argument while we're here. I like him more than the other historic big men for the same reason. I understand all the arguments about era and how the game changed but what gets lost in that conversation is that modern players enjoy tons of performance enhancing benefits that the older players didn't. Maybe the competition was lesser, but so was the recuperation and health care. I've already typed more than I intended, but I can't imagine how dominant Jordan (or Russell) would be with personal assistants and health gurus to help lengthen their careers.

TLDR: Winning matters.

Reactions: dorndawg

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I know ball.

Okay. I'll jump back in.

On the 12 team, much like players today, nearly every offensive player does the same thing: the player spots up somewhere on the 3-point line, and, when he gets the ball, he either bombs up a 3 or drives all the way to the basket.

I'd play defense against the 12 team like this:

1) Put 92 team center (Ewing, Robinson) right in front of the goal to guard anybody playing down low, to discourage any drive to the basket, and to rebound.

2) Everybody else guards perimeter players spotting up at the 3-point line. Generally, these defensive players would start the game by just trying to get a hand in the shooter's face. If any particular shooter hits his first 3, then we might play tighter on him and force him to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket.

3) The other defensive perimeter players will help out on any offensive player driving to the basket. Two exceptions to that policy: the players guarding Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant will always stay with those guys, because I don't want them to get hot.

4) To change things up, I'd occassionally switch to a 2-3 zone. Also, when in a man defense, I might double-team the ball whenever it's passed into the corner and try to force a turnover.

5) I'd let Love, Westbrook, Williams, Kobe, Lebron, Griffin and Iguodala take all the 3s they want. Just get a hand in their face, but let the take the shot and get ready to rebound.

Reactions: Cbassreb

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

There have been some dumb things posted on this board... and I mean... some really REALLY 17ing dumb things posted on this board, but this is by far, the dumbest thing I have ever read on this board. Ever. Not only is it the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board, it's up there with one of the dumbest things I've ever read in my entire life and that's really saying something. May God have mercy on your soul for posting something so mind-boggling egregious.