USA v. Wales

patdog

May 28, 2007
Checking live stats from time to time. 3/4 of the way to a big win. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a 2nd goal though.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

patdog

May 28, 2007
We went into the Stansbury stall too early.
A 1-goal lead is never safe. Bale may be nearing the end of his career and has been stealing money from his club teams for years, but he's a world-class talent and he's always motivated to play for the national team.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Am I the only one who had no idea until today that Wales plays soccer separately from England or even the rest of the UK?

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Am I the only one who had no idea until today that Wales plays soccer separately from England or even the rest of the UK?
If you're a casual fan, it's not a big deal. But it's a big reason that the UK team does not field an Olympic team most years (2012 was an exception). They basically get to field 4 teams for each country (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales). They don't want a UK soccer team because they might lose their separate teams.

patdog

May 28, 2007
All four UK nations play soccer separately. But they have to combine for the Olympics (not too big a deal for the men since the Olympics is a minor, mostly U-23 tournament). Scotland and Ireland have their own domestic leagues too, but Wales plays in the England domestic leagues. Cardiff and Swansea have spent a couple of years in the Premier League in recent years.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
If you're a casual fan, it's not a big deal. But it's a big reason that the UK team does not field an Olympic team most years (2012 was an exception). They basically get to field 4 teams for each country (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales). They don't want a UK soccer team because they might lose their separate teams.
I legit had no idea until I heard on sports radio this morning that Wales has their own soccer team and we're playing them today.

I see we tied them.. sounds like the US needs to get their NIL fund up and hit the portal.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
I suppose we should be glad to be back at the World Cup after having missed 2018 but this team does not fill me with a lot of optimism. There's very little dynamism in this squad. I'm not sure how we're going to score goals.

Also, Deandre Yedlin is not good. The fact that he not only made the team but made the field does not speak highly about the player pool at right back.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, now the Iran game is a must-win for us to have a 50/50 chance to advance. Wouldn't hurt to luck into a point vs England either.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The officiating has been awful
The first half was pretty good. The way they played the second half just pretty much took away any interest I have in America playing in the World Cup.

We played like we were scared of losing. You can't do that in the World Cup so we will probably get destroyed the rest of the way. There's no way in hell I would've taken the foot off the gas pedal as we did in the second half.

I wouldn't say the refereeing was extremely terrible as much as it was way too inconsistent. They really don't care about us playing in the tournament or they wouldn't have had some rookie who looks like he was lost calling our first televised game. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere else, but on the pitch.

At least I already know that I won't have to worry about the US playing after the opening round.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
The USMNT will continue their streak of keeping soccer irrelevant for the majority of American sports fans

kired

Aug 22, 2008
My son asked me to explain the difference between UK, England, Wales, etc. this morning. Told him I had no clue and he'll just have to google it

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
My son asked me to explain the difference between UK, England, Wales, etc. this morning. Told him I had no clue and he'll just have to google it
Russell Westbrook Reaction GIF by NBA

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The USMNT will continue their streak of keeping soccer irrelevant for the majority of American sports fans
Soccer will keep being irrelevant in the US until at least the lower middle class can afford to play on elite teams. Elite level soccer is crazy expensive in the US. Until that happens we won’t win big, and the US fans only get behind winners.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Soccer will keep being irrelevant in the US until at least the lower middle class can afford to play on elite teams. Elite level soccer is crazy expensive in the US. Until that happens we won’t win big, and the US fans only get behind winners.
Travel baseball is a huge expenditure, too. Along with AAU basketball. The scholarship situation for college baseball is abhorrent, but finding a school that funds mens soccer at all is even worse.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Travel baseball is a huge expenditure, too. Along with AAU basketball. The scholarship situation for college baseball is abhorrent, but finding a school that funds mens soccer at all is even worse.
True.

MLS would prefer to have players go through their academies but there are late bloomers like Matt Turner who got notice thanks to NCAA soccer (he went to Fairfield).

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
This is a tired, uninformed, and over-used argument that doesn't take into account just how popular the sport is in America. We tied a team we should have beat, but we still have plenty of time to advance out of this group. We are also hosting the world cup in 4 years. If this young team underperforms expectations in this World Cup, it has little bearing on how far the sport has come in the past 20 years. It helps no doubt, but it's a used up and shallow argument. The problems with US soccer go way way deeper than this team underperforming.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Again, where are you finding that US soccer is "irrelevant"? Facts say that it's more popular than it has ever been. Volleyball and cricket are irrelevant sports in america, not soccer. This is the same used up argument from people who have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to soccer.

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Again, where are you finding that US soccer is "irrelevant"? Facts say that it's more popular than it has ever been. Volleyball and cricket are irrelevant sports in america, not soccer. This is the same used up argument from people who have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to soccer.

Maybe irrelevant is a bit harsh, but it's down the list in terms of sports relevance in this country.

Our best athletes certainly choose football, basketball and baseball in seriously greater numbers than soccer. I doubt that's the case in the vast majority of other countries.

Hard to see us being remotely competitive on the global stage anytime soon.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Hard to see us being remotely competitive on the global stage anytime soon.
Wow. You do realize we’re ranked in the top 20 in FIFA rankings (which you can criticize all you want and I would agree), and if we make it out of the group we will be in a 16 team playoff for the best in the world. We’re not world beaters by any means, but we are highly competitive on the world stage.
Even if we finish third in the group, it’s pretty much like finishing in the top 24 teams in the world.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
By irrelevant, I meant it doesn’t have anywhere near the support of MLB or NHL, which are way behind basketball and football.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login