USA v. Wales

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Wow. You do realize we’re ranked in the top 20 in FIFA rankings (which you can criticize all you want and I would agree), and if we make it out of the group we will be in a 16 team playoff for the best in the world. We’re not world beaters by any means, but we are highly competitive on the world stage.
Even if we finish third in the group, it’s pretty much like finishing in the top 24 teams in the world.

Show me a sport where the United States considers it acceptable to maybe be Top 24 in the world, and I'll show you a sport that is not very relevant to people in the United States.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You REALLY aren’t paying attention.

I paid enough attention to know we completely missed the last World Cup and just tied the weakest team in our 4 team group in this one.

School me on our possibilities I guess.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I paid enough attention to know we completely missed the last World Cup and just tied the weakest team in our 4 team group in this one.

Youngest team in the World Cup with a lot of good young players making their mark in the top 4 leagues in the world. The MLS academies are starting to produce good young players who can be sold to the big European teams. We’re not winning a World Cup in the next 20 years. But we will be a lot more competitive.

Reactions: She Mate Me

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Am I the only one who had no idea until today that Wales plays soccer separately from England or even the rest of the UK?
No.

I never knew that Wales (or Scotland, or Northern Ireland) had a national soccer team . . . until today.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009

Well, we could draw with England and beat Iran (as we should) and easily advance with 5 points. Or we could lose to England (likely) and beat Iran (as we should) and hope that we have the goal differential to advance. Both would put us at a top 16 finish at the worst, in a group of 211 soccer playing nations. Not advancing would be a huge disappointment for sure, but finishing in the top 16 of a sport we just really started caring about in the 90's is not bad.

I get that you don't give a **** about soccer, that's all well and good, but it's more relevant to people in the United States than you think.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
No.

I never knew that Wales (or Scotland, or Northern Ireland) had a national soccer team . . . until today.
Thank god they split them up. England is good enough. I fully expect them to pound us on Friday but we usually play well in the underdog (nothing to lose) role. I can remember playing them to a draw a few World Cup's ago.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I guess we will play Yorkshire next after England since we played West England in game 1

I mean, if you like watching 160 pound men jogging around and faking injuries for 2 hours.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Well, we could draw with England and beat Iran (as we should) and easily advance with 5 points. Or we could lose to England (likely) and beat Iran (as we should) and hope that we have the goal differential to advance. Both would put us at a top 16 finish at the worst, in a group of 211 soccer playing nations. Not advancing would be a huge disappointment for sure, but finishing in the top 16 of a sport we just really started caring about in the 90's is not bad.

I get that you don't give a **** about soccer, that's all well and good, but it's more relevant to people in the United States than you think.

You're actually a bit mistaken. I didn't go to high school in Mississippi (moved just before) and had a lot of friends who were soccer players. I've seen a lot of soccer and understand the game better than most Americans. One of my buddies played at Indiana when they were among the best college teams.

That said, I'm not a huge fan and I'm a realist. I'm definitely pulling for the US and would love to see them advance.

I think it's great that we're in a group with England. They're close allies globally and they absolutely love soccer.

The game will tell us a lot about where we are.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
A coworker told me one of our best players sat on the bench the whole game. I don’t know who he is, but he plays for Barcelona. What’s up with that?

patdog

May 28, 2007
A coworker told me one of our best players sat on the bench the whole game. I don’t know who he is, but he plays for Barcelona. What’s up with that?
Probably talking about Gio Reyna who starts for Borussia Dortmund in the German league. Probably the 2nd biggest club in Germany & usually in the Champions Lesgue. He’s had a lot of muscle pulls the last year of so big has been playing a lot of minutes for Dortmund lately. Coach said it’s precautionary but Reyna says he’s fine. Just another stupid decision by Berhalter. He subbed in a mediocre MLS player late in a critical game & left one of our best on the bench.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Probably talking about Gio Reyna who starts for Borussia Dortmund in the German league. Probably the 2nd biggest club in Germany & usually in the Champions Lesgue. He’s had a lot of muscle pulls the last year of so big has been playing a lot of minutes for Dortmund lately. Coach said it’s precautionary but Reyna says he’s fine. Just another stupid decision by Berhalter. He subbed in a mediocre MLS player late in a critical game & left one of our best on the bench.
Jordan Morris shouldn't even be on the team. You go for the win against Wales by scoring again and Reyna was needed to break down that defense. I thought the starting lineup was good and I was expecting Reyna and Aaronson could come in around the 60th minute with fresh legs to go at Wales. Now we have to have a result against England, one of the favorites, to have any chance of advancing. Berhalter is a mediocre coach that no other national team would want.

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login