USM is 18-4

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
They beat Vandy which Ole Miss couldnt do. Do they have anyone on their roster we might interested in?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The Sun Belt isn’t a good league so they probably have to win their conference tourney regardless. But yeah they’re much improved, they had been absolutely terrible since Donnie Tyndall (who was blatantly breaking a bunch of NCAA rules) left for his brief stint at Tennessee.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I would think Ladner was coaching for his job entering the season. They might win more games this year than his first 3 years combined.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
At least Southern Miss made sure they had to trademark it when considering their fracas with Iowa.
Aye, but the litigious Iowa attorneys even go after high school programs and are considered by some insiders in the industry to be egregious and overly ambitious about infringement. One might even say "holier than thou"

https://www.thegazette.com/k/university-of-iowa-challenging-schools-logos/

Given Iowa's less than stellar offense production in football, maybe their football team could pick up a few pointers about being 'offensive'

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
So I guess if they played ”somebody” they would have a more meager 3-7 conference record?🤔
I imagine if they played Tennessee twice in Alabama and a few others they would be embarrassed off the court worse than we were and that's really saying something. With a worse record

wpmusm

Dec 1, 2014
They play no damn body at all
You'll have to pry that Vanderbilt win from our cold, dead hands. Don't sleep on Liberty either. That's a Q1 win.

We'd have one of the highest NETs of the one-bid conference champions and would have a Q1 win. We will still need to win our tourney, but if we do, we're set up well to get a decent seed (probably 12, maybe 13).

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
You'll have to pry that Vanderbilt win from our cold, dead hands. Don't sleep on Liberty either. That's a Q1 win.

We'd have one of the highest NETs of the one-bid conference champions and would have a Q1 win. We will still need to win our tourney, but if we do, we're set up well to get a decent seed (probably 12, maybe 13).
LOL ...Like I said.
No damn body, Anytime, Anywhere
I do hope we both make the tourney though.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I've seem them play in person 3 times this year. These guys are good and they play play well together. They share the ball, shoot well, and they have two hispanic dudes in particular who can really play. Haase is from Chile and Alfonzo (or something like that) from Puerto Rico. I'm telling you it's a tournament team they have this year. They are probably going to have to win their conference tournament to get in the dance, but that's part of it.

I'm a State fan and I've seen more USM games this season than most USM fans have seen in 10 years. It's really pathetic that they still can't sell that place out with such a good team. USM fans should be in Reed Green supporting this team.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The Sun Belt isn’t a good league so they probably have to win their conference tourney regardless. But yeah they’re much improved, they had been absolutely terrible since Donnie Tyndall (who was blatantly breaking a bunch of NCAA rules) left for his brief stint at Tennessee.
Lunardi currently has only the Sun Belt AQ in the tourney and doesn't currently have USM on the radar right now. He's got ULL as the projected Sun Belt AQ at the moment. ULL beat USM during the first meeting, but they play again on Thursday, so they have a chance to make a little noise at least.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Aye, but the litigious Iowa attorneys even go after high school programs and are considered by some insiders in the industry to be egregious and overly ambitious about infringement. One might even say "holier than thou"

https://www.thegazette.com/k/university-of-iowa-challenging-schools-logos/

Given Iowa's less than stellar offense production in football, maybe their football team could pick up a few pointers about being 'offensive'
Sounds like how Texas did Kossuth.

I always loved explaining how a team called the "Aggies" have a Longhorn logo to people here. I tell them "I mean... to us, one Texas team was as good as another one." People would seem incredulous at that. Then I would hit them with "Yeah, despite popular belief, Texas teams just aren't terribly important outside of Texas."

It was nice to turn the tables for once. Can't tell you how many people would talk trash to me when I first moved to Dallas-Fort Worth about how badly OK State and Texas Tech were gonna whoop "my team" in the Cotton Bowl...

Last edited:

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Sounds like how Texas did Kossuth.

I always loved explaining how a team called the "Aggies" have a Longhorn logo to people here. I tell them "I mean... to us, one Texas team was as good as another one." People would seem incredulous at that. Then I would hit them with "Yeah, despite popular belief, Texas teams just aren't terribly important outside of Texas."

It was nice to turn the tables for once. Can't tell you how many people would talk trash to me when I first moved to Dallas-Fort Worth about how badly OK State and Texas Tech were gonna whoop "my team" in the Cotton Bowl...
1675714884070.png

Reactions: Ghostman

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
Their AD has done an incredible job. He’s done more with less than any AD in Mississippi in recent memory. I hope Selmon is so successful that he’s the next Greg Byrne but the USM AD is someone we should keep our eye on as our next AD candidate if he can keep it going at USM.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
At least Southern Miss made sure they had to trademark it when considering their fracas with Iowa.
I thought the Iowa lawsuit was ridiculous at first. But then I walked into a restaurant/sports bar and saw a basketball game on TV, seeing the logo on the floor I thought oh USM is playing, checked closer and realized it was Iowa. I knew the two logos and still got them confused. Iowa was right.

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
I've seem them play in person 3 times this year. These guys are good and they play play well together. They share the ball, shoot well, and they have two hispanic dudes in particular who can really play. Haase is from Chile and Alfonzo (or something like that) from Puerto Rico. I'm telling you it's a tournament team they have this year. They are probably going to have to win their conference tournament to get in the dance, but that's part of it.

I'm a State fan and I've seen more USM games this season than most USM fans have seen in 10 years. It's really pathetic that they still can't sell that place out with such a good team. USM fans should be in Reed Green supporting this team.
I agree. I've been to a few this season and am going to their "BIG" game Thurs night with a USM friend. He says that it's a Whiteout game and that it could possibly be a sellout. USM has some good players and they are actually fun to watch.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
If we both come up short of the Dance, that's likely a first round NIT game.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Their AD has done an incredible job. He’s done more with less than any AD in Mississippi in recent memory. I hope Selmon is so successful that he’s the next Greg Byrne but the USM AD is someone we should keep our eye on as our next AD candidate if he can keep it going at USM.
I've heard Selmon say (paraphrasing) that "he's looking forward to moving the Bulldog mission forward and having some fun."

To contrast, UT's AD, Danny White said (paraphrasing)........that "he wants UT to not only win games and championships in the top line sports, but to DOMINATE their opponents in doing so."

I too hope that Selmon realizes what he's up against in the SEC now that he is managing a small market SEC program. The other programs are all cut throat against us. We'll have to fight fire with fire.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I've heard Selmon say (paraphrasing) that "he's looking forward to moving the Bulldog mission forward and having some fun."

To contrast, UT's AD, Danny White said (paraphrasing)........that "he wants UT to not only win games and championships in the top line sports, but to DOMINATE their opponents in doing so."

I too hope that Selmon realizes what he's up against in the SEC now that he is managing a small market SEC program. The other programs are all cut throat against us. We'll have to fight fire with fire.
Don’t know enough about our guy yet to pass judgement but it sounds like the ole playing checkers vs playing chess. I hope that’s wrong. Doing business in the SEC is no different than doing business in Corporate America. Got to bring your A game every single day.

patdog

May 28, 2007

I think you're reading way too much into those quotes. Selmon played football for Wake Forest. He knows what it's like to be at a small school in a big conference.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login