USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
On El Salvador's goal, the US defense reminded of Daria's volleyball team

• Haha
Reactions: Connorpozlee

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Last night was a prime example, I think, of the problem of playing a goalkeeper who has not made a start in months. Horvath was caught positionally sleeping. I cannot blame Reggie Cannon for that.

Vehemently disliked it when Weah was taken off for Arriola, and it had nothing to do with the red card Arriola was shown later.

I would like to see CCV on the WC roster over the likes of Mark McKenzie (and I say that as a Philly Union fan).

If Musah, who is still a teenager, can just develop a final ball/finishing touch, he's going to eventually be purchased by a very big-time club.

While I do not think Jordan Morris brings enough to the table to warrant a WC roster spot (barring injuries), he is apparently is an assassin when it comes to the CNL and deserves to be called up for every USMNT Nations League squad for the foreseeable future. :LOL:

Missed an opportunity this window to try another starter at taking corner kicks.

Overall, however, there was not much you can take from a game like that other than seeing who shows grit, heart, and perseverance.

Reactions: Pride and Toadvine

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
@Erial_Lion, this is a very nice analysis of 2026 locations

Really sounds promising for both Philly and Baltimore, which would be great. Looking forward to the announcement, though I'm sure I'll just record it while watching golf (especially since it's a FIFA production and they usually find a way to fit 5 minutes of action into an hour long show).

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Last night was a prime example, I think, of the problem of playing a goalkeeper who has not made a start in months. Horvath was caught positionally sleeping. I cannot blame Reggie Cannon for that.

Vehemently disliked it when Weah was taken off for Arriola, and it had nothing to do with the red card Arriola was shown later.

I would like to see CCV on the WC roster over the likes of Mark McKenzie (and I say that as a Philly Union fan).

If Musah, who is still a teenager, can just develop a final ball/finishing touch, he's going to eventually be purchased by a very big-time club.

While I do not think Jordan Morris brings enough to the table to warrant a WC roster spot (barring injuries), he is apparently is an assassin when it comes to the CNL and deserves to be called up for every USMNT Nations League squad for the foreseeable future. :LOL:

Missed an opportunity this window to try another starter at taking corner kicks.

Overall, however, there was not much you can take from a game like that other than seeing who shows grit, heart, and perseverance.
I don't really know what to take from last night's game, but I have some general impressions overall:

I'm worried about keeper. Horvath, Steffen and Turner are all going to be backups next year. We don't have a GK1 who will be starting games in the run-up to the World Cup.

I'm worried that Berhalter thinks Aaron Long is the heir presumptive with Walker Zimmerman. Objectively, he's awful at distribution and average at ball-winning. He's neither fast nor dominant in the air. I don't see a clear best option, but I have CCV ahead of him, but doubt that Berhalter does.

One player who seems to be getting better over every 6 month period is Yunus Musah.

Brendan Aaronson is better against better teams. He's a European style guy. Throw him into a brawl and he's not very effective. His passing range in the middle isn't great and he's not going to win duels in games where physical strength matters more than anything else.

Luca Delatorre had the best overall window of anyone in the pool. It's not a coincidence it was his cross for the winner. He's the best passer in the pool (barring perhaps Reyna) and he makes a positive difference everytime he plays.

Wes looked like his old self last night. We need that. Overall he didn't do much this window.

Morris is not fast anymore and he's never been skilled. But he is strong, and as anyone who's played in enough of them knows, physical strength carries the day on a muddy field (I don't know why, it just does). Nice cameo from him last night, although I think he also benefitted from DLT coming on. Otherwise pretty bad window for him, but I promise last night was enough for Berhalter to keep him around.

Haji should feel hard done by. He didn't get much of a chance this window. He wasn't terrible last night -- the problem was a lack of progressive passing.

Which brings me to Tyler Adams who, honestly, is a little bit of a problem right now. Defensively he's fine, but he just doesn't do anything with the ball. There were several times last night when the game was calling for a switch of fields, or a long diagonal, and the ball was at Adams' feet, and instead he recycled it. He's also not getting enough game time at Leipzig. If I was picking an ideal middle three right now I'd go Musah, Wes, and DLT. Controversial take, I know.

Right back is a big problem without Dest, or behind Dest. Cannon got a big look this window and he hovered between replacement level and awful. When I'm missing Yedlin, something has gone wrong. I guess Scalley had a knock or something, or maybe he was just so bad against Morocco and Uruguay? anyway, behind Robinson and Dest it gets pretty dire, pretty quickly. Hell, we have questions at one CB spot (although I think Richards or CCV can do ok there), questions at keeper (it's a big deal that our top 3 are bench guys), and almost no effective depth at outside back.

Antonee Robinson isn't giving us anything going forward right now, but his physicality, attitude and athleticism are still big value adds. He needs a vacation.

Yunus Musah is going to be the best player to ever put on a US jersey in 3 or 4 years, barring injury. He's fast, strong, confident, and you can see him finding his shot. Was pretty unlucky not to have a couple of goals last night and you can see him pick up and carry the team through rough moments. So much ******* talent. When he finds his passing range, and he will, watch the **** out.

Pulisic isn't what he was pre-injury, but when he stays in his space and doesn't try to hero ball, he's also the biggest match winner in the side. You can see him get frustrated when the game around him isn't working, and that's when he drifts into other people's spaces. Last night in the first half, when the Aaronson at CM experiment was failing, CP started dropping way too deep -- which pushed BA higher, and made the gap in the middle worse because CP does NOT defend.

Tim Weah is consistently solid and produces big chances playing like a traditional winger. He's not world class and probably won't be, but he's big, fast and confident. Automatic starter for me.

Arriola will be on the plane I guess, and he's generally got some value because of his work rate, but he's such a technical liability. The link-up passing fell apart when he came in for Weah, even before he got the red card (some arguments on whether it was deserved, but the tackle looked pretty bad and he'd lost his head after not getting the call a few seconds earlier -- veterans cannot do that ****). I'm not a fan. If I'm making my list of first choice wide players it's Pulisic, Weah, Reyna (assuming he ever gets back), Aaronson (he can play in the middle, I'm not sure he should) and then about 2 levels down is Arriola, and a level below him is Morris.

Scalley probably isn't going to the World Cup. Shaq Moore probably is, and he might have had the best camp of anyone by not being in camp because his team was still playing.

George Bello just seems like a JAG.

I'm relieved Busio wasn't in this camp. I don't have room for him. Maybe he makes a leap eventually, but his limited athleticism gives him a lower ceiling.

Ferreira is our best striker right now, but he's not great by any means. He's not fast and he's not going to win headers. Limited utility as a field stretcher or a hold up guy. Not a great finisher either. But he is technical and he does generally keep the ball moving.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
some arguments on whether it was deserved, but the tackle looked pretty bad

agreed. in real time, the play looked worse than it did on replay. And his reckless play was almost predictable after he didn't get the previous call.

I'm not surprised that a red was shown, but if I'm the ref evaluator I'm probably going to indicate that a yellow seemed to be the more appropriate call.

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
agreed. in real time, the play looked worse than it did on replay. And his reckless play was almost predictable after he didn't get the previous call.

I'm not surprised that a red was shown, but if I'm the ref evaluator I'm probably going to indicate that a yellow seemed to be the more appropriate call.
I could see it either way. By the book, if you show your studs on a slide and you are more than foot high, it’s an automatic red most places. I didn’t have any issue with it being given. Arriola was on tilt, he mad a rash challenge, it ended with his studs showing shin high.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I could see it either way. By the book, if you show your studs on a slide and you are more than foot high, it’s an automatic red most places. I didn’t have any issue with it being given. Arriola was on tilt, he mad a rash challenge, it ended with his studs showing shin high.

yeah, the studs showing, and at that height, meets the reckless criteria. But a lot of refs will reserve the red for actual contact with the studs, and issue a hard yellow (show a yellow and verbally warn the player that any additional questionable infraction will be a 2nd yellow). As you said, a good case can be made for either card being shown by the ref.

Pride

Oct 12, 2021
I don't really know what to take from last night's game, but I have some general impressions overall:

I'm worried about keeper. Horvath, Steffen and Turner are all going to be backups next year. We don't have a GK1 who will be starting games in the run-up to the World Cup.

I'm worried that Berhalter thinks Aaron Long is the heir presumptive with Walker Zimmerman. Objectively, he's awful at distribution and average at ball-winning. He's neither fast nor dominant in the air. I don't see a clear best option, but I have CCV ahead of him, but doubt that Berhalter does.

One player who seems to be getting better over every 6 month period is Yunus Musah.

Brendan Aaronson is better against better teams. He's a European style guy. Throw him into a brawl and he's not very effective. His passing range in the middle isn't great and he's not going to win duels in games where physical strength matters more than anything else.

Luca Delatorre had the best overall window of anyone in the pool. It's not a coincidence it was his cross for the winner. He's the best passer in the pool (barring perhaps Reyna) and he makes a positive difference everytime he plays.

Wes looked like his old self last night. We need that. Overall he didn't do much this window.

Morris is not fast anymore and he's never been skilled. But he is strong, and as anyone who's played in enough of them knows, physical strength carries the day on a muddy field (I don't know why, it just does). Nice cameo from him last night, although I think he also benefitted from DLT coming on. Otherwise pretty bad window for him, but I promise last night was enough for Berhalter to keep him around.

Haji should feel hard done by. He didn't get much of a chance this window. He wasn't terrible last night -- the problem was a lack of progressive passing.

Which brings me to Tyler Adams who, honestly, is a little bit of a problem right now. Defensively he's fine, but he just doesn't do anything with the ball. There were several times last night when the game was calling for a switch of fields, or a long diagonal, and the ball was at Adams' feet, and instead he recycled it. He's also not getting enough game time at Leipzig. If I was picking an ideal middle three right now I'd go Musah, Wes, and DLT. Controversial take, I know.

Right back is a big problem without Dest, or behind Dest. Cannon got a big look this window and he hovered between replacement level and awful. When I'm missing Yedlin, something has gone wrong. I guess Scalley had a knock or something, or maybe he was just so bad against Morocco and Uruguay? anyway, behind Robinson and Dest it gets pretty dire, pretty quickly. Hell, we have questions at one CB spot (although I think Richards or CCV can do ok there), questions at keeper (it's a big deal that our top 3 are bench guys), and almost no effective depth at outside back.

Antonee Robinson isn't giving us anything going forward right now, but his physicality, attitude and athleticism are still big value adds. He needs a vacation.

Yunus Musah is going to be the best player to ever put on a US jersey in 3 or 4 years, barring injury. He's fast, strong, confident, and you can see him finding his shot. Was pretty unlucky not to have a couple of goals last night and you can see him pick up and carry the team through rough moments. So much ******* talent. When he finds his passing range, and he will, watch the **** out.

Pulisic isn't what he was pre-injury, but when he stays in his space and doesn't try to hero ball, he's also the biggest match winner in the side. You can see him get frustrated when the game around him isn't working, and that's when he drifts into other people's spaces. Last night in the first half, when the Aaronson at CM experiment was failing, CP started dropping way too deep -- which pushed BA higher, and made the gap in the middle worse because CP does NOT defend.

Tim Weah is consistently solid and produces big chances playing like a traditional winger. He's not world class and probably won't be, but he's big, fast and confident. Automatic starter for me.

Arriola will be on the plane I guess, and he's generally got some value because of his work rate, but he's such a technical liability. The link-up passing fell apart when he came in for Weah, even before he got the red card (some arguments on whether it was deserved, but the tackle looked pretty bad and he'd lost his head after not getting the call a few seconds earlier -- veterans cannot do that ****). I'm not a fan. If I'm making my list of first choice wide players it's Pulisic, Weah, Reyna (assuming he ever gets back), Aaronson (he can play in the middle, I'm not sure he should) and then about 2 levels down is Arriola, and a level below him is Morris.

Scalley probably isn't going to the World Cup. Shaq Moore probably is, and he might have had the best camp of anyone by not being in camp because his team was still playing.

I'm relieved Busio wasn't in this camp. I don't have room for him. Maybe he makes a leap eventually, but his limited athleticism gives him a lower ceiling.

Ferreira is our best striker right now, but he's not great by any means. He's not fast and he's not going to win headers. Limited utility as a field stretcher or a hold up guy. Not a great finisher either. But he is technical and he does generally keep the ball moving.
So who would be your two deep for every position on the World Cup squad today?

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
So who would be your two deep for every position on the World Cup squad today?
GK: Turner, Johnson, Horvath (that's right folks, I've no use for Steffen)

RB: Dest, Yedlin

CB: Zimmerman, CCV, Long, Richards

LB: Robinson, Moore ( I know, he's a RB technically, but he's played some LB too)

6: Adams, Acosta

8: Wes, Musah, DLT, 1/2 Aaronson

Wide players: Pulisic, Weah, Reyna, the other half of Aaronson, Arriola

9: Ferreira, Pepi

My extra 3: depends on form, but in my dream scenario (the dream being Hoppe gets minutes and tears it up, Reynolds gets minutes and tears it up, Wright keeps scoring) its Hoppe, Reynolds, and Wright. Reynolds will be on loan again in Belgium, with a recently promoted side, so he ought to get a lot of playing time. He's still just 20 and he's really physically gifted -- I think he can be a better Reggie Cannon as the right back who slides inside and anchors the middle while Robinson marauds. Hoppe is, to me, the most gifted of the attackers in his cohort, he just had **** luck at Mallorca with muscular injuries and then a relegation battle. He's got a real kamikaze style and a nose for goal, while also being high energy like Arriola -- to me he's a great "throw an insane runner on for the last 20 minutes" guy, but unlike Paul he has goals in him.

Last edited:

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021

Musah is so good progressing the ball all by himself. It’s why we need him as one of our 8’s. I saw a rumor that his new club manager, Gattuso, may want to see him as a 6. Hope that is simply not true.

Ferreira is our best option at striker at the moment mainly because he, more than anyone else in the pool, consistently gets into space at the right time for final passes to find him, which then create chances. His problem is obviously what he does with those chances, but I think you have to go with the guy who at least increases your team’s XG (expected goals stat) more than anyone else, given everything else being relatively equal.

When on the pitch, Luca de la Torre should be taking all corner kick responsibilities.

Because of the technical deficiencies in Arriola and Morris, I think serious consideration should be given to Sargent as depth on the roster for the wing. He’s more technically proficient, has a reputation for working hard (just like Arriola), and had a decent amount of experience playing out wide in the Prem this past season. I know it’s a bit of a controversial take, but why not.

Reactions: Toadvine

Toadvine

Aug 22, 2013
Musah is so good progressing the ball all by himself. It’s why we need him as one of our 8’s. I saw a rumor that his new club manager, Gattuso, may want to see him as a 6. Hope that is simply not true.

Ferreira is our best option at striker at the moment mainly because he, more than anyone else in the pool, consistently gets into space at the right time for final passes to find him, which then create chances. His problem is obviously what he does with those chances, but I think you have to go with the guy who at least increases your team’s XG (expected goals stat) more than anyone else, given everything else being relatively equal.

When on the pitch, Luca de la Torre should be taking all corner kick responsibilities.

Because of the technical deficiencies in Arriola and Morris, I think serious consideration should be given to Sargent as depth on the roster for the wing. He’s more technically proficient, has a reputation for working hard (just like Arriola), and had a decent amount of experience playing out wide in the Prem this past season. I know it’s a bit of a controversial take, but why not.
I think Sargent will get another shot. I just don’t see how it will be this cycle. I mean, it’s possible he or Duke could light it up in the championship next season, but I don’t know if that’s enough.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
TV Alert for the really hard core fans…our u20s play Canada at 8:30pm in the Concacaf u20 championship. It’s on TUDN in Spanish (channel 464 for those with Directv).

We hammered St Kitts in the opener 10-0, but Canada should be a better test (though they did drop their opener 1-0 to Cuba). Again, this tournament is doubly important as it’s both the qualifier for next year’s u20 World Cup, and the 2024 Olympics.

Bonus for the Union fans is that Philly has 4 guys on the squad.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
The u20s just beat Nicaragua 5-0 (probably about the right result based on the flow of the game, though we didn’t score the first one until first half injury time) to advance to the CONCACAF quarters. We now play Costa Rica on Tuesday night, with the winner claiming a spot in next year’s u20 World Cup. Win that, and we’ve likely got a matchup with Honduras (in Honduras) in the semi with a spot in the 2024 Olympics at stake.

The Union players on the squad are playing very well. Sullivan followed up his hat trick last time out with a brace tonight (plus he drew a penalty that we converted). And I think that Aaronson has been the best player on the team. Beyond the Union, really like Cowell (he’s been capped already for the full national team), and Diego Luna (he just joined MLS from the USL earlier this month, though he does also have Mexican eligibility).

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
TV Alert: u20s against Costa Rica tonight at 7pm on FS2…winner goes to next year’s U-20 World Cup. Plus, winner will play on Friday night in the semifinals, with the winner of that game qualifying for the 2024 Olympics.

Reactions: Shoresy

Connorpozlee

Oct 29, 2021
On El Salvador's goal, the US defense reminded of Daria's volleyball team
That reminds me of my daughter’s old travel volleyball team. One time I was sitting by the other parents with headphones in listening to music to block out all the whistles and parents saying, “That’s OK!” As serve after serve fell harmlessly to the court with nobody moving to touch it. After about the fifth in a row I unintentionally let out a “For **** sake, somebody at least move towards the ball” which got quite a few looks from the parents. I apologized, but I wasn’t wrong.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Really nice day for our guys...Pefok scored in his Bundesliga debut, Aaronson all but scored (he was initially credited with the goal, but it officially went down as an own goal against the defender) and Adams played solid in a big Leeds win, and Antonee Robinson and Tim Ream had a great game keeping the Liverpool attack relatively in check. Unfortunately, Sargent only came off the bench in Norwich's first game back in the Championship. He started their first game, but he'll really have to show something in the Championship to get back into the mix (and maybe it's time for me to admit that this ship has sailed for this year).

Reactions: Shoresy

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021

Hot garbage if this is for real. The long sleeve version of the white shirt looks like a nice sweater...for USA Hockey. The other one is a blue oceanography bathymetry map. US Soccer is aware of what their most passionate fans like the most and they just do not care. Something akin to the Waldos would be very successful, but Nike... I cannot see these, designed by professionals, marketing as well as some of the concepts amateurs have posted online in recent months.

There's other evidence on Twitter to suggest that these may be legit leaks (you can find them—I don't feel like filling this post with more tweets), but I am still holding out hope that it is not the case.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Hot garbage if this is for real. The long sleeve version of the white shirt looks like a nice sweater...for USA Hockey. The other one is a blue oceanography bathymetry map. US Soccer is aware of what their most passionate fans like the most and they just do not care. Something akin to the Waldos would be very successful, but Nike... I cannot see these, designed by professionals, marketing as well as some of the concepts amateurs have posted online in recent months.

There's other evidence on Twitter to suggest that these may be legit leaks (you can find them—I don't feel like filling this post with more tweets), but I am still holding out hope that it is not the case.

Thumbs Down Emoji Sticker - Thumbs Down Emoji Not Approve ...

Latest posts