USWNT with a big game tonight

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
For me, the reason I haven’t gotten all warm and fuzzy with the women’s team is because they operated as a political organization that played sports. Whether it was Rapinoe kneeling for the national anthem to the gay pride stuff to the equal pay controversy which was basically a war against the men’s team, it really gets on my nerves. Also, idiots in the media would be like “The women’s team is better than the men’s team, and deserve lots more money.” When the truth is the reason they are dominant is because women in most countries are oppressed and don’t have the rights women here do to play soccer at a high level. But most of the old guard who I couldn’t stand has either retired or is about to. Rapinoe is retiring at the end of the season and she probably won’t play much in this tournament. The moment she is gone, I’ll start liking the women’s team a whole lot more.
Oh 17n get over yourself. Political messages have been a part of sports literally for the entire history of organized play. Just because you find this particular messages do not align with your bigot opinions doesn't mean it is any different today than it was in 1936.

1. Jesse Owens.
2. Mohammad Ali
3. Every nationalism display whether that be saluting our men and women in the armed forces, fly overs, national anthem, etc.
4. Our own MSU basketball team travelling to play an integrated basketball game.

Those are the big ones. There are literally 1000s of micro-incidents that happen at almost every game with a camera and fans present.

Your reasoning for the women's team is correct, but not the true deciding factor. The women do not deserve a lot more money because they don't generate the funds the men's team does. Simple as that. If the women pulled in more advertisers and sold more merch, they would be paid better. Just like the WNBA. Men didn't fail the WNBA and WNT, women have.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
There was one other post last night that got locked wanting the US team to lose. Not trying to ruin this thread, but what is the deal with that?
All political, as someone else described. But as I said in the OP, politics be damned, I want the US to win at everything.

I disagree with some of the stuff Rapinoe says and the way I see it, her teammates are kinda stuck either going against her or kneeling beside their friend and teammate, so I get why they joined in. But whatever - none of that petty stuff is going to make me pull for another country over THE United States of America. 17 that.

Another reason it's stupid - does anyone pulling for the US to lose know how all the Netherlands players voted in their last election? Me either.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
The U.S. dominated the second half and really should have scored another goal. The Netherlands are more skilled on the ball but that didn't really lead to more chances for them. They had possession, like Mexico used to do against the men, which made them look so much better in the first half. Nothing wrong with letting other teams kick the ball around leading to nothing. Horan going after her Dutch friend after a hard tackle and then scoring the header was great. Good to see some toughness from the gals. We had only one sub and could have used some fresh legs because the Dutch were tiring. It's starting to look like the women's game has more than a couple of teams good enough to win a world cup. I like Europe and European football. I also like watching U.S. national teams beat European teams in soccer.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
The U.S. dominated the second half and really should have scored another goal. The Netherlands are more skilled on the ball but that didn't really lead to more chances for them. They had possession, like Mexico used to do against the men, which made them look so much better in the first half. Nothing wrong with letting other teams kick the ball around leading to nothing. Horan going after her Dutch friend after a hard tackle and then scoring the header was great. Good to see some toughness from the gals. We had only one sub and could have used some fresh legs because the Dutch were tiring. It's starting to look like the women's game has more than a couple of teams good enough to win a world cup. I like Europe and European football. I also like watching U.S. national teams beat European teams in soccer.

Absolutely, I loved Horan getting fired up then scoring immediately after. That woke the team up. Need that fire from the start in every match from here on out.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I didn't stay up for last night's game (0-0 tie with Portugal), but I watched some highlights and read some recaps. Unfortunately, I think the US is in trouble and are lucky to even be going to the round of 16.

Sweden is going to be tough.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I didn't stay up for last night's game (0-0 tie with Portugal), but I watched some highlights and read some recaps. Unfortunately, I think the US is in trouble and are lucky to even be going to the round of 16.

Sweden is going to be tough.
I knew this would be a tough game. Portugal played England to a 0-0 draw a few months ago and only lost to Netherlands 1-0 in group stage. Sweden is going to kill this team. US has been lazy developing talent and has let NWSL become a 2nd rate league. Payday is coming Sunday morning. The coach will be the scapegoat, but the problems go a lot deeper than the head coach.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I knew this would be a tough game. Portugal played England to a 0-0 draw a few months ago and only lost to Netherlands 1-0 in group stage. Sweden is going to kill this team. US has been lazy developing talent and has let NWSL become a 2nd rate league. Payday is coming Sunday morning. The coach will be the scapegoat, but the problems go a lot deeper than the head coach.
The reality is that the US women will never win another World Cup, ever. Anyone that disagrees hasn’t been paying attention.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The reality is that the US women will never win another World Cup, ever. Anyone that disagrees hasn’t been paying attention.
Only way they'll have a chance is if their they adopt the Brazil men's approach. All of their players play in Europe. Of course, Brazil men haven't won a World Cup in 21 years themselves (or even finished in the top 3).

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I stayed up to watch the game, and I wasted my time. I have been a fan since Brandi Chastain ripped off her shirt in 1999. It's too bad they know how to make commercials, but don't know how to play with each other on the field. Not even the Nike Superhero Megan Rapinoe could save them last night. Nike's commercial was so cringe. Their play was simply awful. Something significant may be attributed to their shoes being worse than just crappy. They fell many times last night and they looked like they were running on ice instead of grass. You would have thought they would have tested those shoes on the surfaces they would be playing on in Australia.

They will get trounced by Sweden. The Younger players are not performing at all. I can't believe this is supposed to be on the same level as the national team I watched play in the previous World Cups. I think I was equal pay has put them in a position where they are trying too hard to prove something instead of just playing their usual game.

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
No real leadership. I think it was you who said it last week - we seem to be missing a generation between the youngsters (Smith, Rodman) and the oldsters (Alex, Ertz, Blue hair).

Alex should be the leader given age, experience, etc., but that's not her personality at all, and she's not clever enough with the ball to be a leader by example any longer. Ertz is vocal but is stuck back in defense. Horan wants to be it, and probably is leader by default now, but she's a heavy midfielder and doesn't impact the game as much as others. The one who could be that leader is/was probably Lavelle, but now she's out for the next game. I think the run is over.

Reactions: Dawgg and patdog

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Read an article recently that the talent is here, but if you are not politically/socially aligned you have a very small shot of making the cut.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Coming into this, I was rooting for two teams: US and Colombia (because of Catalina Perez being GK at State)...

If you told me one of those teams was going to win their group and easily cruise into the round of 16 and the other one would be lucky to squeeze through in second place, I would have believed you. I just wouldn't have believed which one.

Yes, I know technically Colombia hasn't made it through or won their group yet, but they have to royally screw up against Morocco to miss out and they've looked a helluva lot better than the USWNT.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Read an article recently that the talent is here, but if you are not politically/socially aligned you have a very small shot of making the cut.
The talent isn't there. The women's youth development is a shambles. Last 2 U20 World Cup teams didn't even make it out of group stage.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Too much money not to mention coaches jobs on the line to let political views get in the way. I call shenanigans

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We're just no longer more talented than everyone else. For years, because the U.S. stressed girls and women's sports and provided quite a bit of financial support, we were way ahead of others. Soccer was still an expensive and luxury sport which is why those early WC winning teams were chock full of middle and upper-middle class white gals (soccer moms were important). There wasn't much diversity. Now that more gals are playing, we have talented non-white players, some of whom are better than ones who started on world cup winners. But, the western world and rich Asian world also invests in women's sports. It's not that the rest of the world has caught up. It hasn't. But the wealthier countries in the world, places where women have for the most part similar rights as men, now have good women's teams. But, unlike in men's soccer, some of the poorer parts of the world still have crap teams. Men's soccer has guys from the barrio. Gals from the barrio are still getting knocked up early in life so places with lots of barrios don't have good women's teams.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We're just no longer more talented than everyone else. For years, because the U.S. stressed girls and women's sports and provided quite a bit of financial support, we were way ahead of others. Soccer was still an expensive and luxury sport which is why those early WC winning teams were chock full of middle and upper-middle class white gals (soccer moms were important). There wasn't much diversity. Now that more gals are playing, we have talented non-white players, some of whom are better than ones who started on world cup winners. But, the western world and rich Asian world also invests in women's sports. It's not that the rest of the world has caught up. It hasn't. But the wealthier countries in the world, places where women have for the most part similar rights as men, now have good women's teams. But, unlike in men's soccer, some of the poorer parts of the world still have crap teams. Men's soccer has guys from the barrio. Gals from the barrio are still getting knocked up early in life so places with lots of barrios don't have good women's teams.
That might be the most confusing explanation I've ever heard in my life for why our soccer team has gotten worse. our problems with class and race are the reasons why other countries have more talent in soccer.

SMH

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
There was one other post last night that got locked wanting the US team to lose. Not trying to ruin this thread, but what is the deal with that?
I don't know about the current composition of this team, but prior teams had some pretty unlikeable, pretty vocal players. Rapinoe (sp?) was probably responsible for the vast majority of it. Just whiny and entitled and bitter. Not sure anybody else would have even registered as unlikeable if the whole team image hadn't sort of been tainted by her among "fans" that only have a passing familiarity with the team. To a lesser extent, the complaining about equal pay when it was reported that they were paid a higher percentage of revenues than the men and also got additional perks like guaranteed pay and healthcare that the men didn't get also probably annoyed some people, but I'm not sure many people pay attention enough to even be aware of that.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
That might be the most confusing explanation I've ever heard in my life for why our soccer team has gotten worse. our problems with class and race are the reasons why other countries have more talent in soccer.

SMH
"our problems with class and race are the reasons why other countries have more talent in soccer." I didn't even remotely say that. I actually implied the opposite of that. I said richer countries invest in women's sports now, and have been for a while, so they've caught up and in some cases have surpassed us. We were ahead of everyone else not long ago. Even though we actually have a larger pool of players available, non-whites in particular although they're still largely from better off families, it doesn't matter. Those men's teams from S. America have poor boys playing soccer at an early age. S. American men's teams are good. Those S. American women's teams, with the exception of a couple of them, aren't all that impressive. I didn't say our soccer team has gotten worse either and I actually wrote that some players are better. Other countries, well rich democracies in particular, have just decided to support women's sports more. Women's soccer is a lot more competitive now but it's still behind the degree of competition you see in the men's game because poverty isn't as big of an issue for men. Race and class are actually bigger problems in other countries. The countries with the highest emigration rates where life sucks for people, especially poor, non-white women, aren't the ones doing well in women's soccer. Only Brazil and Columbia rank in the top 25 in women's soccer.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
"our problems with class and race are the reasons why other countries have more talent in soccer." I didn't even remotely say that. I actually implied the opposite of that. I said richer countries invest in women's sports now, and have been for a while, so they've caught up and in some cases have surpassed us. We were ahead of everyone else not long ago. Even though we actually have a larger pool of players available, non-whites in particular although they're still largely from better off families, it doesn't matter. Those men's teams from S. America have poor boys playing soccer at an early age. S. American men's teams are good. Those S. American women's teams, with the exception of a couple of them, aren't all that impressive. I didn't say our soccer team has gotten worse either and I actually wrote that some players are better. Other countries, well rich democracies in particular, have just decided to support women's sports more. Women's soccer is a lot more competitive now but it's still behind the degree of competition you see in the men's game because poverty isn't as big of an issue for men. Race and class are actually bigger problems in other countries. The countries with the highest emigration rates where life sucks for people, especially poor, non-white women, aren't the ones doing well in women's soccer.
I read it differently. I see that now through my sleepy eyes. It still confuses me that they supposed to be one of the more talented teams, but they aren't playing like they are. They are getting shown up by other teams that are supposedly much less talented than they are. In the first half last night it looked like they had never played with the other before the opening whistle of that game.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
On the bright side, now men who identify as women can choose to become equally as pregnant as those in the barrios that really do get knocked uphave the same excuses, and yet still be a man!!!

“Whaaaat a couuuuntry!!” #YakovSmirnoff

I digress, but we were the first country to even consider investing in women’s soccer due to Title IX. We won it all a couple of years, while other countries with more support and better coaching woke up. Now, we’ll probably never win it again….

During all of this, Ron Cholk was typing pointed letters to the NCAA while we had 2 of the best college baseball teams ever assembled not win one 17ing natty….

Reactions: patdog

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
I think we'll win it again. Few teams repeat at WC champs. It's just gonna be harder now. And we're letting this coach off lightly. He hasn't impressed and should have used a couple of subs against the Netherlands when their defenders had tired legs.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
Wat?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
DS, I think you'd save a lot of threads from turning political if there was a dislike button.

It would allow people (like me) in certain instances to just hit the thumbs down and move on with their lives without starting another circle jerk.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Too much money not to mention coaches jobs on the line to let political views get in the way. I call shenanigans
You have to follow the trail all the way down to the ground level and to ODP camps. I have seen coaches advise players not to even attend anymore due to the bs that goes on. Visit a regional ODP camp and watch when the top 20 cut happens and you'll ask yourself how in the Hell did so and so make it. Some states/clubs have a lot of pull which leaves a great deal of talent out or switching to other sports.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If anybody is up early, US vs Sweden is still tied 0-0 and has gone into extra time on your local Fox station… or on Peacock if you prefer Spanish. US has looked good, but just can’t get it in the net.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
0-0 after extra time. About to start penalty kicks.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Wow. Sweden wins on a VR overturned penalty kick. The US goalkeeper appeared to make the save then swatted it out of the air. Initially called a save then overturned.

US could have ended it before that though. It shouldn’t have come down to that kick. Rapinoe, Sophia Smith, and Kelly O’Hara all missed their PK’s.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Andonovski should never coach another game. Horrible decision maker. Rodman was the biggest threat early in the game and he subbed her. Smith first touch was bad and prevented her from being a threat at all most of the evening. Rapino had no business being on this team much less on the pitch. He played politics, and at this level and he got burned in the end.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Glad I did not get up at 4 o'clock. I turned on just in time to see them give the game to Sweden.

Over 230 minutes without scoring a goal.

They got their commercial money.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Glad I did not get up at 4 o'clock. I turned on just in time to see them give the game to Sweden.

Over 230 minutes without scoring a goal.

They got their commercial money.
To be fair, that Swedish GK had the game of her life. She was easily the player of the game. This was the best game the US played all tournament, but she shut them down.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You might be right. I didn't see the game. The women are not gonna let the men outdo them. Now the US women's team is as bad as the US men's team has been. #USWNT

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login