Wait, the MS House wants to get rid of building codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

In the disaster ridden state of MS??

and we have Tucker Carlson pushing Putins agenda

What happened to the Republican Party????
Each city already adopts which code they want. Literally every city in the entire State has their own adopted code. Hell, Hernando is still under IBC 2012. Most is on 2016 or 2020.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
How much enforcement is there? In rural counties very little. I've sold properties in Rankin that I've done major renovations on, no permits, inspections, nothing, no one had ever said anything about it at closing. Now the State will go in deep and dry over a treatment plant.

Reactions: paindonthurt

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The last quote in the article kinda nails it for some of the thought behind it and it’s pretty true.

“I'm telling you, it is very difficult in some counties to find licensed contractors to do things that you want done now,” Bailey said. “If you want to build a lot of development in the small counties, then the law he is trying to change, it (allows) that. It has nothing to do with getting rid of building codes.”

The bill will now be considered by a Senate committee before possibly going to the floor for a vote.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
I've built two houses in my life. One in rural Carroll county and one in Oktibbeha county. In both instances there was zero inspection. For the one in Oktibbeha county which requested a draw the bank did send somebody out to verify the house was built to the % completion I told them it was.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The last quote in the article kinda nails it for some of the thought behind it and it’s pretty true.

“I'm telling you, it is very difficult in some counties to find licensed contractors to do things that you want done now,” Bailey said. “If you want to build a lot of development in the small counties, then the law he is trying to change, it (allows) that. It has nothing to do with getting rid of building codes.”

The bill will now be considered by a Senate committee before possibly going to the floor for a vote.
Is there a lot of demand for development in rural counties?

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Land is so cheap in Mississippi, eventually the Chinese companies will buy it out******

dawgenstein

Mar 3, 2008

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpeg
    IMG_1210.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 20

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
is the insurance cheaper on a house built to code

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
As a person who administers this stuff for a living in GA - What in the actual 17 are y'all thinking??? I'm all for local control of zoning and understand some communities go overboard in regulations - but intentionally setting yourselves up to have homes and commercial building as deathtraps is not a good way to govern.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
It has become much less educated. Sometimes the chickens take the long way when coming home to roost.
View attachment 525754
Big difference between "Educated" and knowledge or intelligence. Elites and close minded people believe in "Educated" as a stamp of validity; the problem is what are you getting "Educated" about?

I have plenty of "Education" and pieces of paper but I don't equate that automatically to knowledge or intelligence. Useful idiots are incapable of thinking for themselves.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008

In the disaster ridden state of MS??

and we have Tucker Carlson pushing Putins agenda

And we have democrats pushing and funding Ukraine’s agenda

What happened to the Democratic Party????

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
I love how Russia is the boogie man, but China is the one buying up American soil. They are buying mostly farmland, and combine that with the greenies our people will be starving and/or eating fricking bugs. Our country needs to wake up and realize what we have is the best thing going since ever, so let's not post it away!!

Reactions: fang and WilCoDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
<dumb political meme>
I heard an ex-Republican Congressman called him a traitor. Is that what you are referring to?

I don't view Carlson as a traitor for interviewing Putin. Heck, multiple reporters countered Carlson's absolute lie when he claimed nobody else had tried to interview Putin, and I also wouldn't consider any of them traitors if they interviewed Putin.

Like most political memes, yours misrepresents and sucks.

Last edited:

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
No but if you want to build something in a rural county it can be pretty difficult to find someone.
Codes have nothing to do with that. The Secretary of states office has requirements for licensed contractors. The state board of contractors has its rules for contractor.

this is the problem with old people in government that has never had a “real” job. Their terminology is all messed up.
Local ordinances is not a building code. Having qualified professionals in rural areas has nothing to do with a single code or ordinance written in the entire state. People should not be having a building built anywhere in the state, that will have people in it, that isn’t built by a licensed contractor subject to the Board of Contractors rules and regulations.

if someone is not willing to meet the professional requirements set forth in their profession, that is precisely why people get 17ed left and right by so called “contractors”.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I can't find an electrician in Olive Branch right now. I had one based in Collierville and they could not pull a permit because they are not licensed in MS and all the reciprocal agreements have been removed just recently. I can't get an MS electrician to show up. And all I want is to get an 100 amp electric service to an outbuilding with a box and one outlet.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
And when the City finally started to implement regulations, people freaked out because a coffee sign childishly refused to adapt.
The city has some rules that not everyone is on board with, including the sidewalk requirements, the signage requirements, and the arbitrary upgrade requirements when you exceed 50% renovation value of the assessed value of the property and the extremely cost prohibitive requirements of updating your entire site to the site plan, parking, planting requirements.
BUT, this is what it takes for the city to not look like crap. Sure it sucks for people that want to update their building but not spend 100-200k doing useless site upgrades.
I would add, if the city required sidewalks, then they should pay for them to be installed everywhere at once in an area as opposed to making businesses and private landowners to do it.
The signage issue, well that is expensive as hell on people running businesses. The sideways sign is childish and just reflects poorly on the business. I commend the Mayor and the board not caving to the public pressure over it. BUT, I do understand where the owner is coming from on the random requirement to change their sign.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We absolutely should be handing Ukraine what they need to fight the Russia. It is far cheaper and way more beneficial to us for Ukraine to fight and hold their territory.
YES. If Ukraine loses this war it will be an unmitigated disaster for us, and not just vs Russia. They don't have to win it, they just can't lose it.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
YES. If Ukraine loses this war it will be an unmitigated disaster for us, and not just vs Russia. They don't have to win it, they just can't lose it.
how would that possibly be a disaster for us, other than stopping hundreds of billions from being stolen and laundered from the treasury ?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
As a person who administers this stuff for a living in GA - What in the actual 17 are y'all thinking??? I'm all for local control of zoning and understand some communities go overboard in regulations - but intentionally setting yourselves up to have homes and commercial building as deathtraps is not a good way to govern.
How many counties or cities do you think will do that?

I don’t know anything about this bill other than what’s in the link and have no clue if it’s a good idea or not, but there are plenty of incentives to build decent quality. And I’m not sure how much code enforcement really does. I’ve seen plenty of new construction houses that were subject to codes and city inspections that I wouldn’t touch because of ****** build quality. I’d like to think they would stop the most dangerous fire traps or cutting corners on structural issues, but not really sure that they do.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Reactions: fang and WilCoDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

But da codes!!!

Reactions: WilCoDawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Each city already adopts which code they want. Literally every city in the entire State has their own adopted code. Hell, Hernando is still under IBC 2012. Most is on 2016 or 2020.
This. The idea of "State" building codes is the dumbest 17ing thing on earth... "Hey Bob, I am out here at the Iuka site waiting on the STATE inspector to make sure I have the rebar chairs spaced properly before we pour the concrete.... He's driving up from Jackson.

What in the actual 17 are we even talking about with a state building code? Who the 17 is or could enforce that dìpshittery?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
how would that possibly be a disaster for us, other than stopping hundreds of billions from being stolen and laundered from the treasury ?
So you see no danger from Putin, as he has made it absolutely clear in his own writings, taking the first step to recreating the Russian Empire? I suggest you take a look at the territorial extent of that old Empire. Putin is a Russian Imperialist. He has made his aims crystal clear. You remind me of the idiot isolationists prior to WWII that refused to take Hitler at his word in Mein Kampf. There are EXTENSIVE territories of the old Soviet/Russian Empire that Putin has explicitly stated that belong to Russia that he wants, and we are committed by the NATO treaty to defend. Personally, I'd rather give the Ukrainians the material to fight the fight that they WANT to fight than commit our own blood to do it. You obviously want to see our own sons die rather than give Ukraine the material. You value our money over our son's lives. Make no mistake we WILL pay the money. The only question is who dies. You absolutely DISGUST me.

Last edited:

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
I can't find an electrician in Olive Branch right now. I had one based in Collierville and they could not pull a permit because they are not licensed in MS and all the reciprocal agreements have been removed just recently. I can't get an MS electrician to show up. And all I want is to get an 100 amp electric service to an outbuilding with a box and one outlet.
Bruce send me a pm. My step son can do it for you. We are in the Bridgetown area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login