War of the Worlds

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
And in Something for Joey, why did they tell Mr. Cappelletti that John won the Hesiman before the awards ceremony?

Last edited:

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
And how did he fit into that little hole!
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
And in “Back to the Future,” why wouldn’t George and Lorraine recognize that that their son Marty looks exactly like Calvin Klein from their high school days?
Now Jim, we've talked about this....:cool:
How well are you really going to remember someone you knew for a week 30 years prior?
That girl you met at the Jersey Shore as a sophomore in high school and spent the week holding hands with on the Boardwalk....could you pick her out of a lineup 30 years later?
Since that anecdote is actually a personal one, I can admit...probably not.
You remember what your high school friends look like because you spent years with them. But think about a kid you met at summer camp for 2 weeks....do you really remember exactly what he looks like or do you just have vague memories and could you honestly say 30 years later that someone looks EXACTLY like that person?

Now the REAL flaw in back to the Future is that the clock tower is NOT digital. There was no way of knowing lightning struck at 10:04:00....could have been 10:04:15 or 10:04:32 or 10:04:59

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
How well are you really going to remember someone you knew for a week 30 years prior?
That girl you met at the Jersey Shore as a sophomore in high school and spent the week holding hands with on the Boardwalk....could you pick her out of a lineup 30 years later?
You remember what your high school friends look like because you spent years with them. But think about a kid you met at summer camp for 2 weeks....do you really remember exactly what he looks like or do you just have vague memories and could you honestly say 30 years later that someone looks EXACTLY like that person?

Now the REAL flaw in back to the Future is that the clock tower is NOT digital. There was no way of knowing lightning struck at 10:04:00....could have been 10:04:15 or 10:04:32 or 10:04:59
No - the Real problem is they they thought a Delorean could get to 88 miles per hour.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

So that was you! After I posted this I remembered someone giving me that same lecture about the same subject. No flies on you.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU87

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

True. The way the screenwriters got around this is they had the Save the Clock Tower flyer state that the lightning strike happened at exactly 10:04.

Last edited:

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
True. The way the screenwriters got around this is they had the Save the Clock Tower flyer state that the lightning strike happened at exactly 10:04.
Sure...but "exactly" 10:04 on a clock without a second hand lasts for a full minute....

Reactions: LionJim

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
In those days the winner was announced before the ceremony.
Correct. It wasn’t a big surprise at the event held each year at the Downtown Athletic Club in NYC.

btw, the Downtown Athletic Club was a true bucket list visit for me after Cappy. Unfortunately it closed not long after 9/11.

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

CVLion

Oct 13, 2021
Sure...but "exactly" 10:04 on a clock without a second hand lasts for a full minute....
Presumably there were internal gears that operated on a more granular level than once a minute… someone could have examined where those froze and determined the timing of the lightning strike more closely.

Reactions: WestSideLion

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Presumably there were internal gears that operated on a more granular level than once a minute… someone could have examined where those froze and determined the timing of the lightning strike more closely.
It wasn’t a sweep minute hand, it was one of those clocks where the minute hand moved six degrees all at once, every minute.

Reactions: CVLion

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Someone most certainly could have, but the 1955 Dr. Brown would not have had that information, and something tells me Marty McFly wouldn't either

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

Did the clock tower have a second hand?

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

You’re welcome. Reddit discussion.

CVLion

Oct 13, 2021
It wasn’t a sweep minute hand, it was one of those clocks where the minute hand moved six degrees all at once, every minute.
Understood, but I would think that the internals wouldn’t all have been sitting there unmoving for an entire minute at a time. Then again I’m not an engineer or a clockmaker — just taking a stab in the dark to try and give the writers an “out” on this. :)

CVLion

Oct 13, 2021
Someone most certainly could have, but the 1955 Dr. Brown would not have had that information, and something tells me Marty McFly wouldn't either
I’m trying to remember if Marty himself had seen that Save The Clock Tower flyer… this information could have strengthened the accuracy of the “exactly” wording on the flyer. Even if Marty himself didn’t know the full background, he would have lucked out by hearing about the lightning strike having happened “exactly at 10:04.”

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
I’m trying to remember if Marty himself had seen that Save The Clock Tower flyer… this information could have strengthened the accuracy of the “exactly” wording on the flyer. Even if Marty himself didn’t know the full background, he would have lucked out by hearing about the lightning strike having happened “exactly at 10:04.”
Marty had the flyer because Jennifer wrote her grandmother's phone number on it.

But I stick with, on a non digital, non second hand clock, there is no way you could time a freaking lightning strike, traveling at one foot per NANOSECOND. If Doc Browns cable was 500 feet long, the whole freakin' event was over in .0000005 seconds. You are not timing that with a mechanical clock and a flyer.

CVLion

Oct 13, 2021
Marty had the flyer because Jennifer wrote her grandmother's phone number on it.

But I stick with, on a non digital, non second hand clock, there is no way you could time a freaking lightning strike, traveling at one foot per NANOSECOND. If Doc Browns cable was 500 feet long, the whole freakin' event was over in .0000005 seconds. You are not timing that with a mechanical clock and a flyer.
100%. You’re also not traveling successfully through time, period, but I guess there’s room enough remaining for the whole timing thing on my suspension of disbelief train once everything else has been accepted on board :)

All fun stuff to play devil’s advocate with for sure.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
100%. You’re also not traveling successfully through time, period, but I guess there’s room enough remaining for the whole timing thing on my suspension of disbelief train once everything else has been accepted on board :)

All fun stuff to play devil’s advocate with for sure.
Are you sure?
I posted that tomorrow :ROFLMAO: