Was a STATE Hoops Pic Warranted in this Sports News Article?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Cantdoitsal

I know, not that big a deal. But it would have been a little better had the pic come with words saying who our player was.​

You dont know who that is?
Genuine question- did you just start following sports once you retired? I dont think I have seen anyone so green to not just MSU sports, but sports in general.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know, not that big a deal. But it would have been a little better had the pic come with words saying who our player was.

The article certainly seems to strongly imply that at one of the players in the pic is actually a man. And the framing of the picture would make it seem like it's the Mississippi state player, although it's not obvious that she is the main object of the picture. Just a weird picture to use unless one of them has some connection to the story that I'm missing?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You dont know who that is?
Genuine question- did you just start following sports once you retired? I dont think I have seen anyone so green to not just MSU sports, but sports in general.
You think a general sports fan is going to know who that is? I don't know who it is and I'm a MSU fan, although granted not such a die hard that I watch women's basketball although I sort of keep up with it through sixpack.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You think a general sports fan is going to know who that is? I don't know who it is and I'm a MSU fan, although granted not such a die hard that I watch women's basketball although I sort of keep up with it through sixpack.
You don’t know who Victoria Vivians is? Some players I get, but she’s pretty prominent in terms of sports alumni.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Transgender folks identifying as the opposite sex is one thing but...
Identifying as a BULLDOG?? oh, the humanity...
on the other hand,
CAN SHE DUNK?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You don’t know who Victoria Vivians is? Some players I get, but she’s pretty prominent in terms of sports alumni.
I know who she is and remember what she looks like enough that I knew that could be her (I actually was giving them too much credit and thinking they wouldn't use a picture that is what, 6 years old?). But I wouldn't have had any confidence guessing it was her. I would assume there is probably somebody on the team right now that you could have showed a picture to me and I couldn't have ruled out that it was her.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I know who she is and remember what she looks like enough that I knew that could be her (I actually was giving them too much credit and thinking they wouldn't use a picture that is what, 6 years old?). But I wouldn't have had any confidence guessing it was her. I would assume there is probably somebody on the team right now that you could have showed a picture to me and I couldn't have ruled out that it was her.
Fair enough. There are players on the team now that I wouldn't necessarily be able to readily point out. Vivians was an odd choice for this picture all around because, as you stated, this picture is at least 5 years old and probably older, Vivians is not transgender, and this article takes place in Australia.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I criticized him for sports in general because he consistently asks questions that someone with even a slight background in team sports would know.

As for that picture, I am surprised an MSU sports fan who is to the level of board posting, doesnt recognize a recent player who is the 2nd all time leading scorer in team history, was a 1st team AP All-American, and led the program to back to back national championship appearances.
It's not like that is some 9th rotation player from the 05-06 team.

Seeing that others also have no idea who that is, it appears my expectations are too high.

Reactions: Ranchdawg and Dawgg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I criticized him for sports in general because he consistently asks questions that someone with even a slight background in team sports would know.

As for that picture, I am surprised an MSU sports fan who is to the level of board posting, doesnt recognize a recent player who is the 2nd all time leading scorer in team history, was a 1st team AP All-American, and led the program to back to back national championship appearances.
It's not like that is some 9th rotation player from the 05-06 team.

Seeing that others also have no idea who that is, it appears my expectations are too high.
I think you'd be shocked at how few athletes would be recognized by our fans. So many are mainly fans of football players and outside of heavily promoted players, pretty serious fans still don't see a lot of our players that much. I would have trouble describing Bear or Fred Ross to anybody. I would at least recognize them in a picture. I don't think I'd recognize Fred Brown or Robert Johnson or Joe Morrow, even though I was familiar with them at the time. I'm not sure I can come up with a mental image of Gabe Jackson, Preston Smith, or Denico Autry. I can Chris Jones and Fletcher Cox. I don't know that I'm that much worse than the average season ticket holder.

Basketball is a little different. But there are a lot of MSU fans that don't pay attention to men's basketball and a lot more that don't pay attention to women's basketball.

Reactions: mstateglfr

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I think you'd be shocked at how few athletes would be recognized by our fans. So many are mainly fans of football players and outside of heavily promoted players, pretty serious fans still don't see a lot of our players that much. I would have trouble describing Bear or Fred Ross to anybody. I would at least recognize them in a picture. I don't think I'd recognize Fred Brown or Robert Johnson or Joe Morrow, even though I was familiar with them at the time. I'm not sure I can come up with a mental image of Gabe Jackson, Preston Smith, or Denico Autry. I can Chris Jones and Fletcher Cox. I don't know that I'm that much worse than the average season ticket holder.

Basketball is a little different. But there are a lot of MSU fans that don't pay attention to men's basketball and a lot more that don't pay attention to women's basketball.
Yeah, cant disagree with any of this.

I read long ago that NFL players, on average, have fewer endorsements compared to athletes in other sports because they arent nearly as recognizable. When you are covered by pads, helmet, and sometimes even a visor for an entire game- its tough to make your image valuable.
Not sure if thats true or not, but I can definitely see it being correct.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login