We all, me included, just need to chill.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We had a perfect storm of “Mississippi State” happen to get us here.

Terrible AD loses the best football coach we’ve had in 60+ years, and replaces him with a cheap, “cerebral” hire. This coach takes the best team we’ve had in years and does nothing with them, and is fired within 2 years.

Normally, this would be seen as suicidal. But, we replace him with a “legendary” sitting P5 coach so all is forgiven. This coach runs a system we all know will never be run when anybody else takes over, so you’re guaranteed a complete rebuild when the next guy comes in.

Legendary coach passed away right before the season in which his best team yet takes the field. We mistakenly commit to hiring a staffer, instead of tagging him as interim HC.

This HC takes the best team we’ve had in 5+ years and barely wins 5 games. He’s fired after one season, instead of gracefully having the interim tag removed so a real coach could take over. And, we are left with the impossible task of a new AD hiring a new HC while we look like psychos. At the *** end of a talent cycle. In the NIL era.

Name one other school that could get themselves into this ********. I’ll hang up and listen.
This is pretty much it.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
The real damage to the program is done when you stick with something you know isn't the answer. IDGAF what other people think about the program.
Which is why we only gave Arnett one season. Lebby >>> Arnett

Leach/Arnett left the cupboard bare as far as the O-Line and D-Line are concerned. It’s hard to run any offense when the opponent’s D-Line is in your backfield within 2 seconds of the snap on every play. Likewise, it’s impossible to stop the run when your opponents O-Line is double teaming your LB’s because you D-Line is like a wet paper bag.

Lebby gets time to rebuild the roster, then we can make a fair assessment.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Lebby gets three years. If he doesn't, we are screwed for at least two to three DECADES. A program like MSU can NOT get a reputation for a quick trigger, unless y'all want to hire the Mantachie Jr High coach next time.
The problem isn't that we're firing coaches too quickly. The problem is that we keep hiring sh*tty coaches.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The problem isn't that we're firing coaches too quickly. The problem is that we keep hiring sh*tty coaches.
^^ THIS

Cant really help the leach situation.

Lebby looks awful. But whats the play. If we dont give Lebby 3 years. We are looking at what 4 coaches in a 5 year stretch. No School is going to survive that.

Reactions: Maroon13

patdog

May 28, 2007
^^ THIS

Cant really help the leach situation.

Lebby looks awful. But whats the play. If we dont give Lebby 3 years. We are looking at what 4 coaches in a 5 year stretch. No School is going to survive that.
If Lebby is as bad as he looks right now, no school can survive more than 1 year of that.

Reactions: 85Bears

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Which is why we only gave Arnett one season. Lebby >>> Arnett

Leach/Arnett left the cupboard bare as far as the O-Line and D-Line are concerned. It’s hard to run any offense when the opponent’s D-Line is in your backfield within 2 seconds of the snap on every play. Likewise, it’s impossible to stop the run when your opponents O-Line is double teaming your LB’s because you D-Line is like a wet paper bag.

Lebby gets time to rebuild the roster, then we can make a fair assessment.
Toledo probably didn't have a guy that would start here talent-wise.

Sure, our recruiting has sucked and we're reaping the rewards of that now. But none of that changes the fact that we were run off the field by TOLEDO. Good coaches can beat you with his guys, and can beat you with your guys. We don't have that. And in true Mississippi State fashion, you're advocating for the approach we seem to take time and time again - let's hire a guy to learn on the job and hopefully he eventually figures it out. We don't have time for that anymore.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018

Sure, our recruiting has sucked and we're reaping the rewards of that now. But none of that changes the fact that we were run off the field by TOLEDO. Good coaches can beat you with his guys, and can beat you with your guys. We don't have that. And in true Mississippi State fashion, you're advocating for the approach we seem to take time and time again - let's hire a guy to learn on the job and hopefully he eventually figures it out. We don't have time for that anymore.
agree with the entire bottom paragraph.

I disagree simply with the top because they SHOULDNT have a guy that would start here talent wise. My issue i dont see a guy we have in our starting 22 that would start anywhere else in the SEC.... and that is squarely on Lebby.

Saturday was inexcusable. My other big issues is it seems like Lebby didnt even realize how bad it was in his post-game presser. That was downright embarrassing and not acceptable.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
agree with the entire bottom paragraph.

I disagree simply with the top because they SHOULDNT have a guy that would start here talent wise. My issue i dont see a guy we have in our starting 22 that would start anywhere else in the SEC.... and that is squarely on Lebby.

Saturday was inexcusable. My other big issues is it seems like Lebby didnt even realize how bad it was in his post-game presser. That was downright embarrassing and not acceptable.
We don't have many that would start elsewhere in the SEC, that's for sure. Maybe one or two receivers. Maybe Shapen. But my comparison was Toledo. We inarguably have more talent than Toledo and they dominated us at every position. That's not a "recruiting has sucked" issue. That's a coaching issue.

I fully expected us to take lumps in the SEC this year. But I also expected us to be competitive and scrappy and push for a 6-6 record. The team I saw Saturday isn't winning another game.

Reactions: 85Bears

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
"Toledo probably didn't have a guy that would start here talent-wise."

Your point about good coaching is spot on, but from what I watched: "talent-wise," they were much stronger and more efficient on the DL and OL than the boys wearing maroon.

And at this point, all we got is time. Hopefully, these coaches can do something with it, before we start all over again with another suspect hire.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Because, the truth is: Lane Kiffin is not coming to coach at MSU and neither is any other successful HC.

They will most certainly being pulling Napiers and holding out for better pay at a more established program.

We're getting rehabs, retreads, or hopeful up and comers.

COLD HARD FACTS

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We don't have many that would start elsewhere in the SEC, that's for sure. Maybe one or two receivers. Maybe Shapen. But my comparison was Toledo. We inarguably have more talent than Toledo and they dominated us at every position. That's not a "recruiting has sucked" issue. That's a coaching issue.

I fully expected us to take lumps in the SEC this year. But I also expected us to be competitive and scrappy and push for a 6-6 record. The team I saw Saturday isn't winning another game.
The team that played Saturday.. didnt believe in their coaches, plan, or anything. They had no heart, no guts, no anything.

Its easily worst product we've put on the field in 20 years. if not longer.

Reactions: Maroon13

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
"Toledo probably didn't have a guy that would start here talent-wise."

Your point about good coaching is spot on, but from what I watched: "talent-wise," they were much stronger and more efficient on the DL and OL than the boys wearing maroon.

And at this point, all we got is time. Hopefully, these coaches can do something with it, before we start all over again with another suspect hire.
Toledo replaced their entire O-Line this season. All 5 starters graduated. If they have more O-Line talent than our D-Line. Then thats a recruiting issue that can be blamed on Lebby. Its not like Toledo had a stable full of Offensive Line talent sitting in the 2nd string... whatever issues they had, they fixed in 1 recruiting cycle... Lebby should have done the same

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
True. And the real problem won't be solved by either firing or keeping a bad coach. The real problem is the AD, President, and major donors.
It's the donors. The others do what they are told when it comes to athletics.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If Lebby is as bad as he looks right now, no school can survive more than 1 year of that.
I don't think the fanbase quite understands how bad 1-11 or 2-10 is going to be. You can't do that shlt anymore like it's 1988, or even 2008. Price of upgraded expectations I suppose.

Now that said.......I would be surprised if we don't make SOME improvement this year, and he sticks around. If I squint, I can say hey Dillingham is a year ahead of us, and Toledo is a seasoned team of veterans. But we're going to need to clip somebody and that seems impossible right now. And the Texas, Georgia, Tennessee and Ole Miss beatings are going to Egg Bowl 2008 level.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
We really screwed up not hiring Barry Odom last year.

Everyone said the program was a **** show after Arnette. It was a rebuild. You don't hire a young inexperienced guy to clean up that mess.

Oh well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's far more intellectual than the shlt you're posting.
You still think the perceptions that others have of us don't matter when hiring coaches, and in recruiting. That is really intellectual. *****

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009

And has been said many times before, if you run Lebby off after 1 year, no one worth a crap will even consider the position. We’d end up hiring a FCS, DII, or High School coach to meet your requirement of “someone with HC experience”.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
And has been said many times before, if you run Lebby off after 1 year, no one worth a crap will even consider the position. We’d end up hiring a FCS, DII, or High School coach to meet your requirement of “someone with HC experience”.
And has been said many times before, this is loser logic.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
its not so much that you cant hire someone else. Its $$ and its $$ that we probably dont have to actually fire one staff and replace another.

Already having to pay out Leach assistants that were fired. Arnett and his staff. If we fire Lebby after year, thats another huge check to write.. on TOP of $$ spent for a new staff and coach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login