We are picked last in the west for baseball by the coaches...

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
LSU did exactly what they had to do to fix their issues. Year 1 of new coach purge the clowns and improve gradually by setting a lineup and rotation and sticking with it. Year 2: BUY a whole new team!

if Ole Miss tanks this year like State die last year, I will be hugely surprised. Injuries hurt us last year because our Pitcher recruiting sucked the previous two years and we had nobody good enough to step in. Get better or get the hell out! We are a Beisbol skool!

Aug 24, 2012
I just don't see a legitimate excuse for this happening to Mississippi State baseball. Those accountable need to go...who ever they are.
How much did you give to the NIL collective Bulldog Initiative earmarked for baseball?
Before you get on your soap box to ***** about coaches, especially those who brought you your first National Championship, the game is totally different.
LSU allocation for baseball is over 4 million per year,
Ours is less than 250k. You want to find those responsible?
Look in the ******* mirror

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but our pitching staff really went through the a lot last year between injuries, and just not having anybody we could depend upon out of the bullpen. We had some spotty offense but nobody who was really scary down through our batting order. if I was picking this conference based on last year, I would've picked us in last place too.

I am looking forward to what we're going to do because Mississippi State almost always reloads with good players. They may take a year or two to develop, but they usually do. We just started with the NIL and have the portal to get players. I seem to remember we grabbed a player or two that way.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I feel good about our season. The only thing that really troubles me is our conference schedule is really tough.

@ Kentucky
Vandy
South Carolina
@ Alabama
Ole Miss
@Auburn
@Tennesse
Arkansas
@LSU
Texas A&M

It's always gonna be tough in the SEC West, but Ouch!
You’re definitely not wrong about the injuries, but the problem I have is that injuries don’t explain why guys like Fristoe, Tepper, Tullar, Walling, Walker, and even Stinnett at times were a complete disaster. And let’s not act like it was a case of being overworked and eventually running out of gas towards the end of the year. Most of the ones I mentioned above struggled from day one or didn’t really even play in Walling’s case.

People can sneer at this word all they want, but last year was unacceptable on a level that goes beyond injuries. We need to see improvement this season, and I mean substantial improvement, or else there better be some staff changes heading into ‘24.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Lem can kiss his *** good-bye if he comes in last again
I'm pretty sure I was ridiculed for complaining about how he used his pitchers because he won a natty.

But anyway, I kinda expected a dropoff last year, and I expect a rebound this year. We will have some pitchers take a step forward, and we are going to be really good with the bats.

That said, I never bought the Foxhall hype and I think others are starting to come around to that now. If we don't develop some pitching this year, you gotta wonder what's going on there. We've had guys go backwards, if anything.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You’re definitely not wrong about the injuries, but the problem I have is that injuries don’t explain why guys like Fristoe, Tepper, Tullar, Walling, Walker, and even Stinnett at times were a complete disaster. And let’s not act like it was a case of being overworked and eventually running out of gas towards the end of the year. Most of the ones I mentioned above struggled from day one or didn’t really even play in Walling’s case.

People can sneer at this word all they want, but last year was unacceptable on a level that goes beyond injuries. We need to see improvement this season, and I mean substantial improvement, or else there better be some staff changes heading into ‘24.
It's only unacceptable if it happens again.

And you're right on the pitching improvement, I think most everyone is in agreement there that something is amiss. We made a coaching change from 2015 to 2016 too if I remember correctly, though we kinda got lucky, rather than actively firing a guy.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Pretty damn good. As were we after 2015.

You have no argument here, so stop.
No. We’re talking about LSU baseball. They’ve made 3 CWS in the 13 years since winning that title in ‘09. 3 in 13 years where state has made 4 in that same time frame. That’s not LSU baseball standards.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No. We’re talking about LSU baseball. They’ve made 3 CWS in the 13 years since winning that title in ‘09. 3 in 13 years where state has made 4 in that same time frame. That’s not LSU baseball standards.
3 Omaha trips in 6 years following 2011. The last one they finished national runner-up. We were comparing what they did directly after the bad year, to us. So I'm not really worried about what happens to MSU in 2029 and beyond right now. More like 2023, and one year after the LSU bad year, they were 47-18 and finished in a Super. I think you'd take that right? Of course you would.

You're being dumb here. I've advised you to step away.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Where do our facilities rank and does that matter? If we brag about our stadium and our tradition does that improve our pitching and the preseason ranking? NIL is what's gonna matter going forward. We can sell the facilities and atmosphere, but the top players, like most other people, are likely to sign with the school that pays them the most unless they grew up fans. The facilities and stadiums at other SEC schools are good enough if the money is right. Scouts are everywhere and so are attractive young women. It's good to a young, athletic male and have money to spend on young, attractive college gals. I've taken money to work in places I didn't think I'd want to live in. I went to State because that's who gave me the most money.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
LSU did exactly what they had to do to fix their issues. Year 1 of new coach purge the clowns and improve gradually by setting a lineup and rotation and sticking with it. Year 2: BUY a whole new team!

if Ole Miss tanks this year like State die last year, I will be hugely surprised. Injuries hurt us last year because our Pitcher recruiting sucked the previous two years and we had nobody good enough to step in. Get better or get the hell out! We are a Beisbol skool!
Our injuries would have hurt anybody. Basically nobody can survive the injuries we had without having a significant dropoff.

But you are correct that it wasn't just injuries. We had too many pitchers not contribute anything. Some of that is going to happen. I'm not sure a guy like Cerantola (I know that's not last year, but using it as an example) was ever likely to figure things out before the minors. But we probably had too many non-contributors to not put some of the blame at Foxhall's feet. Biggest miss was probably Fristoe. Maybe he was just a basketcase and that's not on Foxhall, but Fristoe seemed fine to start off with. If Fristoe reaches anywhere near his potential last year, that significantly changes how our team looks.

We should have gone from a good team to a weak seed. Not a good team to a **** show.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
LSU didn't make a regional in 2011, after winning the natty 2 years before it.

We did this same thing in 2015.

Ya'll need to chill with this fatalistic crap. Any rational minded person knows why our season tanked last year. PITCHING INJURIES. More than normal amount.
People are stupid and emotional.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
3 Omaha trips in 6 years following 2011. The last one they finished national runner-up. We were comparing what they did directly after the bad year, to us. So I'm not really worried about what happens to MSU in 2029 and beyond right now. More like 2023, and one year after the LSU bad year, they were 47-18 and finished in a Super. I think you'd take that right? Of course you would.

You're being dumb here. I've advised you to step away.
I’m only worried about spring 2028 and beyond when my boys would be playing college ball - that’s when my funds shift

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

People can sneer at this word all they want, but last year was unacceptable on a level that goes beyond injuries. We need to see improvement this season, and I mean substantial improvement, or else there better be some staff changes heading into ‘24

and just not having anybody we could depend upon out of the bullpen.

I mentioned that using the bullpen was like spraying the fire with kerosene. I wasn't excusing the bullpen performance. It was just that our primary pitchers went to the injury list. I hope we retooled the entire staff but primarily the bullpen. It surprised me after our bullpen had been somewhat dependable in previous years.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
but the problem I have is that injuries don’t explain why guys like Fristoe, Tepper, Tullar, Walling, Walker, and even Stinnett at times were a complete disaster. And let’s not act like it was a case of being overworked and eventually running out of gas towards the end of the year. Most of the ones I mentioned above struggled from day one or didn’t really even play in Walling’s case

I think all of those are explainable. Literally 50% of pitchers don’t pan out….like at all.

Fristoe was just the latest iteration of Evan Mitchell / Eric Cerantola and every other million dollar arm with a 10 cent head pitcher that we’ve had. Everybody wanted him badly.

Tullar was a JUCO dart throw that didn’t pan out. Was a neccessity to at least give him a shot due to roster gaps left by Cann and guys we lost in the draft.

Stinnett was the same as Tullar but had success initially. It seems in retrospect that he might not have been fully healthy.

Walker was a highly regarded recruit with offers from everyone that was a bust, can’t really blame the coaches on that one.

Walling was the most laughably overhyped prospect we’ve ever brought in. Never did anything at Oregon State….went on to walk about 4 batters per 9 innings in freaking JUCO ball. Never understood what anyone saw there. Just another Fristoe.

None of those guys were even in our Top 8 arms going into the spring last year, and none should have ever been counted on for a single meaningful inning last season. It was very much injuries that forced us to use all of them way more that Lemonis wanted.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
How We Roll Sigh GIF by CBS

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
We also lost two games in softball already. Looks like both coaching positions will be open by mid march

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login