We needed this loss

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
We've played terrible the past three games and almost lost to a pathetic Nicholls team. We needed this come to Jesus game before SEC season.

Those dudes outplayed us. We missed too many close shots, we turned the ball over at critical times, we let Drake get too many offensive rebounds and second chance shots, and our offense looked lost at times. They just had us on our heels all night and we're not used to playing that way.

Last edited:

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We didn't need it but yes we can benefit from taking the pressure off of now

Reactions: was21

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
We've played terrible the past three games and almost lost to a pathetic Nicholls team. We needed this come to Jesus game before SEC season.

Those dudes outplayed us. We missed too many close shots, we turned the ball over at critical times, we let Drake get too many offensive rebounds and second chance shots, and our offense looked lost at times. They just had us on our heels all night and we're not used to playing that way.
You think being this inept on offense is going to help that by getting beat by a not good Drake team?
You’ve lost your mind!
We aren’t real good either, defense is good enough to help us win some games if we ever do find some offense.
If we stay within 20 of Bama and UT I’ll be shocked.

Reactions: Joe Schmedlap

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I'm worried about our offence for sure. We don't have a shooter, Tolu needs to get more involved and stronger around the basket, we can't shoot, we miss WAY too many close shots, we can't shoot well with ANY consistency, nobody can hit from behind the arc, we pick up the dribble too early, our free throwing is pathetic, we turn the ball over at the worst times, and we cannot shoot. They remind me of the old Les Miles LSU teams of the past.

Reactions: 60sdog

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Moore will be back next week and he and DJ play good perimeter defense.

And Bama is losing to Jackson State right now lol

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
As punishment, you must serve the rest of the year on “Joe Lunardi’s First Four Out” again.

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
You think being this inept on offense is going to help that by getting beat by a not good Drake team?
You’ve lost your mind!
We aren’t real good either, defense is good enough to help us win some games if we ever do find some offense.
If we stay within 20 of Bama and UT I’ll be shocked

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
everyone’s freaking out about a 11-1 basketball team ranked in the top 25 going into SEC play. Have we ever gone undefeated in non conference in recent history? Even 2004s team had 1 loss. Let’s embraces this team, they will be fine
I've never been more worried about our ability to score entering SEC play. Never

Reactions: 60sdog

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
You’ve lost your mind!
If we stay within 20 of Bama and UT I’ll be shocked
Wrong we will be in both of those games easy. I’d say we split on those two games. Doubt this team gets beats by 20 all season

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

The “missing close shots” piece is what is so alarming. There’s no way our defense can keep teams to 55 and under consistently in the SEC. Gotta finish close to the rim.

Most of our players have never run any kind of system at State, offensively or defensively. It’s not gonna all come together all at once. I don’t get our offensive ineptitude, but I’m sure hoping there’s a plan there.

We’ve been living dangerously the past few games…. And, while this is a damaging loss, it pales in comparison to having lost to Nicholls or Jackson State.

On the bright side, maybe I’ll get cheaper tickets for the game next week!***

Reactions: GhostOfJackie

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You’re right. This was a magnificent loss. Just proves what we should have done weeks ago. Farh Janzzz….

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I never think you “need” a loss but we are still 11-1 and it’s not the end of the world.

I do think we have more coming but we have a ridiculously tough opening schedule in SEC play. Be prepared for a tough January, but February and March are structured in a way to where we can bounce back and still end up in the NCAAT.

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
everyone’s freaking out about a 11-1 basketball team ranked in the top 25 going into SEC play. Have we ever gone undefeated in non conference in recent history? Even 2004s team had 1 loss. Let’s embraces this team, they will be fine

2004 team didn’t lose in the nonconference. But I agree….no need to freak out.

Reactions: She Mate Me

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I like our team this year. I think we have had a few moments that show what they can achieve.

Thank God we have a few wimps online in here whining about ugly wins and focusing on the greener grass in a few sec teams. That means we are making big progress. 2004 team had plenty of ugly road wins. I can remember at least 5. This is the toughest team since then.

Our two leaders had some key turnovers tonight and some breakdowns on rebounding. It happens. Can't win without getting after it. We aren't that good and we aren't a finesse team. We are rugby on hardwood.

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
As much as I like our team defense we must start to figure out how to score. I wonder if, other than Tolu, there is any player who will be a consistent scorer. Tolu will be seeing lots of double teams and intense defensive pressure. Unless someone steps up it may be a long, frustrating season for Tolu. Shak Moore is one I hope gets healthy and figures things out offensively. He is a decent defender. Turnovers of 20 a game will not win for us. Jans will prove to be a very good coach for us, but this season will be a huge challenge. I predict we make the tourney…barely. Isn’t that the Mississippi State way?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It has a We Believe type feel to it. They’re going to have to be much more consistent on the offensive end. The D will only carry them so far.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
We already knew we sucked on offense. Didn't need a loss to verify that.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
The “missing close shots” piece is what is so alarming. There’s no way our defense can keep teams to 55 and under consistently in the SEC. Gotta finish close to the rim.

Most of our players have never run any kind of system at State, offensively or defensively. It’s not gonna all come together all at once. I don’t get our offensive ineptitude, but I’m sure hoping there’s a plan there.

We’ve been living dangerously the past few games…. And, while this is a damaging loss, it pales in comparison to having lost to Nicholls or Jackson State.

On the bright side, maybe I’ll get cheaper tickets for the game next week!***
What is beginning to bother me is that Jans may be a poor recruiter. He didn’t bring in any good offensive players in his first year.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I'm worried about our offence for sure. We don't have a shooter, Tolu needs to get more involved and stronger around the basket, we can't shoot, we miss WAY too many close shots, we can't shoot well with ANY consistency, nobody can hit from behind the arc, we pick up the dribble too early, our free throwing is pathetic, we turn the ball over at the worst times, and we cannot shoot. They remind me of the old Les Miles LSU teams of the past.
No college teams can shoot anymore. I watched the Memphis v Ole Miss game awhile back and watched one 6-8 guy miss a 4 foot shot 3 times in a row and he was not getting hit.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Go look at the **** Tolu puts on his media page. Ain’t no leadership on this team. This kids have NO IDEA what a business trip means… just acting a damn fool in the hotel and at the team meal.
So remember when ya start to bet on this team in SEC play… they are still just kids with no real leadership. Nothing like the 1996 or 2004 teams that knew how to win and what it took. You have been warned.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Go look at the **** Tolu puts on his media page. Ain’t no leadership on this team. This kids have NO IDEA what a business trip means… just acting a damn fool in the hotel and at the team meal.
So remember when ya start to bet on this team in SEC play… they are still just kids with no real leadership. Nothing like the 1996 or 2004 teams that knew how to win and what it took. You have been warned.

If you knew what key members of the 1996 team were doing (smoking?) in a hotel room the night before the UConn game, you might conclude how 20 year olds act outside of games (like 20 year olds) doesn't affect how they bring it on the court.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login