Weather nerds........Milton

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We also need to stop building such fragile structures in risky areas and having the insurance risk subsidized via increased costs (higher premiums in less risky areas, taxes, etc) to others. I'm fine with the development - just don't spread the risk to others who don't choose to live there.

Infrastructure improvements in already developed areas are necessary as well. I'm more comfortable with shared costs on that as it will better protect general industry and port activities that need to be in riskier locations. That's a benefit to all.
FEMA and some states have property buyout programs, that happened after Sandy, that prevent anyone from rebuilding in some areas. Good luck along the coast if rich people or businesses want to put up pricey homes and condos and spread the insurance risk around. Then there are areas of extended drought, areas with water issues.... That's gonna be expensive but likely less expensive than what we spent in Afghanistan.

Last edited:

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
You mentioned climate change and multiple causes, including some, but not all, being human activity. I agree that climate change is happening, as the MSU meteorology dept acknowledges, and there's not one single cause. Not sure what your comment is for because mine is not an extremist, unscientific stance. That is, I'm not saying climate change is gonna doom us all, that it's caused only by human activity, nor do I believe that it's no big deal because the climate has always changed. Except when I'm sarcastic, I try to avoid simplistic binaries.
I see that the temperature has risen about 2 degrees since 1850. I also know climate is shifting all over the world. If you want to envision serious climate change read the book of Revelation. I'm not worried about my charcoal grill when I get to reading the Bible.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That guy has to at least have family in Mississippi.
You know it looks goofy, but depending on the anchors it could make a huge impact. That looks like 8" webbing which has a break strength of 75,000 lbs plus. A good helical ground anchor can have upwards of 150,000 lbs of pullout strength (that's what she said.)

In contrast, the lower end "hurricane" ties only hold 500-700lbs of uplift force per tie. Across a 30' roof section you might only get 15-20,000 lbs of uplift resistance from the framing.

Not sure if you can get the straps tight enough to prevent slack without damaging the roof, but theoretically, dude may have quadrupled or more the uplift strength of his roof.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You know it looks goofy, but depending on the anchors it could make a huge impact. That looks like 8" webbing which has a break strength of 75,000 lbs plus. A good helical ground anchor can have upwards of 150,000 lbs of pullout strength (that's what she said.)

In contrast, the lower end "hurricane" ties only hold 500-700lbs of uplift force per tie. Across a 30' roof section you might only get 15-20,000 lbs of uplift resistance from the framing.

Not sure if you can get the straps tight enough to prevent slack without damaging the roof, but theoretically, dude may have quadrupled or more the uplift strength of his roof.
Prolly right. A Mississippi guy would have just thrown a bunch of old tires on the roof and called it a day **

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Clewiston at 2:30 edt. Don't recall ever seeing huge tornados like this off a hurricane.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
I see that the temperature has risen about 2 degrees since 1850. I also know climate is shifting all over the world. If you want to envision serious climate change read the book of Revelation. I'm not worried about my charcoal grill when I get to reading the Bible.

John C Reilly Seriously GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login