Weather nerds........Milton

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I just can’t believe anyone would voluntarily hang around. My only thought is they’ve never been through one.
That is an accurate statement. Talking to them I assumed they were experienced with real hurricanes but I realized Tampa/St Pete hasn’t really been directly hit by a 3 or higher in a realll long time. People down here that stayed for Ivan said they would never do that again.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Disney is closing everything in phases starting tomorrow, I think at noon. I believe the forecast is for 100 mph winds in Orlando.
I’m not sure about the wind forecast but they all the parks will be closed by 2 pm tomorrow. The announcement said the parks will likely remain closed Thursday, not sure why they even included the likely part. Hard to imagine a scenario where they open.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
They don't get to look much better than this...

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
This brings up an interesting thought...has anyone ever had to bail out in a hurricane?
Sorta. When Sally hit Orange Beach Al my motorhome was sitting in OB. Sally was supposed to come ashore further west in Louisiana and I wasn’t concerned. The day before landfall I was working in north Ms helping someone move. Sally kept shifting east so about 3 pm I left home in north Ms heading to OB. I arrived after dark in a sideways rain. I put on a swimsuit and a scuba mask and hooked up my tow vehicle to head out back to north Ms. I dried off and put on some dry clothes. There was no way I was crossing the I10 bay bridge in a rolling billboard with that wind so I went back roads north through Alabama and then crossed over to Hwy 45 in Ms around Quitman. Oddly enough by the time I drove about 50 miles inland the sky was clear and the stars were out. Very little traffic on the roads. The eye wall came ashore early the next morning.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Sorta. When Sally hit Orange Beach Al my motorhome was sitting in OB. Sally was supposed to come ashore further west in Louisiana and I wasn’t concerned. The day before landfall I was working in north Ms helping someone move. Sally kept shifting east so about 3 pm I left home in north Ms heading to OB. I arrived after dark in a sideways rain. I put on a swimsuit and a scuba mask and hooked up my tow vehicle to head out back to north Ms. I dried off and put on some dry clothes. There was no way I was crossing the I10 bay bridge in a rolling billboard with that wind so I went back roads north through Alabama and then crossed over to Hwy 45 in Ms around Quitman. Oddly enough by the time I drove about 50 miles inland the sky was clear and the stars were out. Very little traffic on the roads. The eye wall came ashore early the next morning.
That was my first attempt at chasing a hurricane. I drove down and was set up in Mobile when it kept shifting east. I opted not to move east since it was my first hurricane. It was still eery sitting on top of the parking garage in 50-70mph winds watching all the transformers blow across the city.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login