Well. I guess our Dawgs will not be playing in the St. Pete Bowl this year.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Would have been wild if the Rays were in the playoffs. Guessing they might have moved their home games down to Miami?

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Wow, Milton made some long-needed improvements. Too bad they are leaving for the new ballpark in 2028.**

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
The Trop was built in 1990, so before the Florida Building Code had the major wind loads update post-Andrew.

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
CNN frames it as a black eye for DeSantis.

Man, I hate both political parties right now.

I don't see how it frames it as a blackeye for anyone. It simply says that it was intended to be a base for first responders until the roof blew off. It references DeSantis making statements to that effect. The article reported the facts and referenced DeSantis stating those same facts. Am I missing something?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
CNN frames it as a black eye for DeSantis.

Man, I hate both political parties right now.

Was the article different this morning? I see it was updated after you posted.

Nothing stands out in it, at least not to me.
Below is the part that mentions DeSantis.
Earlier this week, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Tropicana Field would be used as a 10,000-person base camp for debris cleanup operations and first responders.

“Tropicana Field is a routine staging area for these things,” DeSantis said Thursday.

The stadium’s roof is built to withstand winds of up to 115 mph, according to the Rays’ media guide.

But as Milton’s strength intensified – eventually making landfall whipping 120-mph winds – the first responders were relocated, DeSantis said Thursday.

“They were moved before the storm,” the governor said. “There were no state assets that were in Tropicana Field.”

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The Trop was built in 1990, so before the Florida Building Code had the major wind loads update post-Andrew.
Which is really bizarre, because they didn’t even have a team until 1998.

And also bizarre because it’s in 17ing South Florida, and didn’t even need to be a dome in the first place.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Which is really bizarre, because they didn’t even have a team until 1998.

And also bizarre because it’s in 17ing South Florida, and didn’t even need to be a dome in the first place.
Rains too often in the summer in south Florida for an outdoor stadium. Also there are more lightning strikes in Florida every year than any other state.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Rains too often in the summer in south Florida for an outdoor stadium. Also there are more lightning strikes in Florida every year than any other state.
Didn’t seem to stop the Marlins from playing outside for years. Or the Braves from playing in 2 different open air stadiums that were both built since the Trop was constructed, when Atlanta gets a similar annual rainfall amount as St. Pete. Or the Buccaneers for that matter.

But ultimately, it seems crazy that the city assumed the cost and infrastructure of a domed stadium in 1990 when there wasn’t even a team there. You only had Seattle, Montreal, Toronto, Houston, and Minnesota with domed / closed roof stadiums in those days. It was pretty cost prohibitive to do back then, even if you had a team producing revenue that could leverage the municipality or investors to pay for it.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Didn’t seem to stop the Marlins from playing outside for years. Or the Buccaneers for that matter. But ultimately it seems crazy that the city assumed the cost and infrastructure of a domed stadium in 1990 when there wasn’t even a team there.
Marlins had a ton of rain delays when they played outdoors. The Buccaneers play 8 games at home.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'd like to see their A/C bill w/ just a vinyl roof and that FL sun beating down on it

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login