What do you think about NBC broadcasting the playoff game only on Peacock?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It’s dumb. It will be free to watch on there but it’s just unhandy and theres plenty of people that still don’t stream. I’ll be interested to see the ratings

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
As far as I know, there is no trial membership you have to pay to stream Peacock.
🤷🏻‍♂️ It’s the way the world is moving. We have Peacock, so it’s no big deal for us.

It could also be a pilot to see how well received it is. We already have one streaming only game each week on Amazon Prime, so it makes sense the NFL would test the waters in the playoffs. ESPN tried a cable only playoff game one season in 2014 or 2015, but added the simulcast on ABC after that.

Reactions: Spotdawg

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
It’s better than paying to watch on Amazon. However, I won’t be downloading their app to watch.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Not sure if I have that or not. If I do and I’m already logged in and it’s the dolphins then I’ll watch it. If I have to scan a qr code and guess my password wrong four times then I’ll probably find something else to do.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
From a personal perspective- I have peacock so I don't care.

From a business perspective- NBC is clearly trying to push people to their streaming platform. The Chiefs are popular. So looks like NBC is gonna see if they can move the needle on streaming platform use.
I wonder how long they measure for usage increase to see how many stay and subscribe vs just use it once and never touch it again.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Guys all you’ll have to do is download Peacock. They aren’t going to put it behind a pay wall.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
As far as I know, there is no trial membership you have to pay to stream Peacock.
Peacock allows you to stream some things for free. I watch Dan Patrick and other things in the "channels" section for free. Not sure if they put the football game on the premium side.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Peacock allows you to stream some things for free. I watch Dan Patrick and other things in the "channels" section for free. Not sure if they put the football game on the premium side.
I found an article that says you will have to pay to watch. That’s not ideal.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
I believe it will be back on NBC after they see the drop off in ratings, otherwise they will be an "olympics only" sports network.

Reactions: patdog

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Guys all you’ll have to do is download Peacock. They aren’t going to put it behind a pay wall.
I've got it through Roku but never watched anything and never subscribed. If the game's free I might watch it, depending on what else is on at the same time.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don’t think I’ve watched an NFL game this season. I rarely pay attention to the playoffs until the conference championship games unless the Saints are playing.

I may listen to it on SiriusXM.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Heck, I don't even have to do that. Just go to the Peacock app on either my TV or Comcast. But back when it was free for Comcast subscribers, I watched a few soccer games on it. It's a pain in the *** compared to watching on DVR and the quality isn't as good either. I'll pass.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am currently looking for a way to cut out all cable, so I have to say I kind of like this. And Peacock is cheaper than Prime, and has other shows I watch. You can already stream NBC on there, and CBS on Paramount.

Only thing really left is figuring out ESPN/ABC and Fox. Of course I understand that this is the very beginning, and live sports won't be exclusively streamed for a while.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
Here you go! Free professional sports. Watch a quick ad, and you can stream any game for free

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
It’s dumb. It will be free to watch on there but it’s just unhandy and theres plenty of people that still don’t stream. I’ll be interested to see the ratings
Yep, the whole Thursday night football on Prime has been a pain too. We already had Prime so it had nothing to do with the expense. It’s about wanting to flip from the game over to something else and realizing that you’ve got to keep re-launching separate apps just to be able to do it

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Yawn, it'll be on the radio.
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Cook and HRMSU

patdog

May 28, 2007
I am currently looking for a way to cut out all cable, so I have to say I kind of like this. And Peacock is cheaper than Prime, and has other shows I watch. You can already stream NBC on there, and CBS on Paramount.

Only thing really left is figuring out ESPN/ABC and Fox. Of course I understand that this is the very beginning, and live sports won't be exclusively streamed for a while.
You may have already missed the golden age of streaming. Streaming cancellation rates are rising pretty rapidly. You're just about to a world where the choice is to pay $200 to your cable company or pay $75 for good Internet and about $15 each to a half dozen streaming services to get the content you want. So do you want to deal with all those different apps, with different features and bugs, and the delays of launching a different app every time you want to change the channel just to save $40 or so per month?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I have the free version as well. I signed up long time ago, but I never watch it. I just wondered how a major network had decided to air a playoff game of the NFL on only their floundering streaming platform. I guess it's just the next step in the stream wars. I guess I just find it a little strange that an over-the-air network is promoting using their streaming platform for such a large sporting event.

The big one is going to be when ESPN decides to offer a streaming platform.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
You may have already missed the golden age of streaming. Streaming cancellation rates are rising pretty rapidly. You're just about to a world where the choice is to pay $200 to your cable company or pay $75 for good Internet and about $15 each to a half dozen streaming services to get the content you want. So do you want to deal with all those different apps, with different features and bugs, and the delays of launching a different app every time you want to change the channel just to save $40 or so per month?
Yep. Netflix is about $20 per month now and have cracked down on the password sharing. Peacock/Hulu/Paramount are all about $6/mo with commercials, double that if you want ad-free. Prime is nearly 150/yr now. Throw in a streamer like YTTV and you are nearly $150 bucks a month. There is not cord cutting for savings anymore.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Easier than watching a Fox game without cable. They have the classic can't-be-bothered-to-take-your-business approach going on.
Can't you just get Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS over the air (plus a plethora of others on the sub channels)? Or are you too far away from the stations to get a signal? That's one drawback to digital television over analog - the signal just doesn't travel as far.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Yeah, I’m really considering jumping back to directv. I’m shocked i typed that

• Haha
Reactions: HRMSU and patdog

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I just have YouTubeTv and ESPN. As far as streaming apps, they all let you pause them. Jump on one one month and pause and jump to another the next month. I'm not paying a boat load to get a bunch of streaming of 8-10 show seasons. Regular tv gives you double the shows in a season. I'll pick and chose one streaming service and that's it for the month.
By the way, the NFL is rigged. From setting up Stafford at Detroit, Tyreek at KC, GB and McCarthy, to the Steelers making the playoffs all of a sudden, to the Super logo colors matching SF and Baltimore colors. Vegas owns the NFL.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login