What does Chris Parson commit mean for Trey Petty?

StateJCP

Jul 7, 2021
Will we still go after Trey Petty after getting Chris Parson? What happens to S Robertson? What if Will stays his extra Covid year which means Will is still our QB1 in 2022, 2023, 2024. So realistically new guy could not see the field until 2025

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I doubt will stays that long. If he is good he will go pro, if he isn't these guys up behind him are extremely talented snd could replace him if he isn't progressing enough to go pro. That or Robertson transfers

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I doubt will stays that long. If he is good he will go pro, if he isn't these guys up behind him are extremely talented snd could replace him if he isn't progressing enough to go pro. That or Robertson transfers

Disagree. Rogers is very likely to break the NCAA record for passing yards (along with completions and passing TDs) if he stays through 2024, and at margins that may stand for a century or more. If he can get drafted high in the 2023 or 2024 draft, he'll go, but otherwise there's no reason for him not to live the high life in Starkville as long as he can and cement his status as a legend.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Let's not forget Sawyer is a redshirt freshman. If he knows anything about Leach, and I'm sure he does, he is not expecting to play until he is a redshirt junior. The same goes for all the others behind him. Locke is a freshman. True freshman. Its a great problem to have.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
No matter who comes or goes, we're going to have a good QB. Best QB room in the history of the school.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I really don't care what it means. If he gets beat out by the better man, that good for MSU football. Leach is going to give everyone a legit stance.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
You take a qb every class doesn’t matter who your current guy is or who is on the bench

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Disagree. Rogers is very likely to break the NCAA record for passing yards (along with completions and passing TDs) if he stays through 2024, and at margins that may stand for a century or more. If he can get drafted high in the 2023 or 2024 draft, he'll go, but otherwise there's no reason for him not to live the high life in Starkville as long as he can and cement his status as a legend.

Y’all are smokin some good stuff. Rogers will be lucky to get drafted by the XFL. NFL? No chance

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Leach takes one every year and I'm betting Will I'd gonna get drafted. Might not be after this year but definitely the next. Looking at last year's draft it doesn't take much.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
No matter who comes or goes, we're going to have a good QB. Best QB room in the history of the school.
Last time we said that, we had a couple of transfers out over the summer, and we wound up thin at QB. In today's NCAA, nobody can have much QB depth. If you've got a decent backup, you're ahead of the game.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Leeshouldveflanked;[URL="tel:2057605" said:
2057605[/URL]]Legend? Rogers is 0-2 against Ole Miss. If he stays long enough, he could easily be 0-5 against Ole Miss.
I forgot that Will dropped those three td passes last year and fumbled at the goal line

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Last time we said that, we had a couple of transfers out over the summer, and we wound up thin at QB. In today's NCAA, nobody can have much QB depth. If you've got a decent backup, you're ahead of the game.

I expect Greek to leave. I don't expect anyone else to leave. Next year, we probably lose another but we'll sign one too. It's all a wash. Failing to sign them is a much bigger problem than losing them to transfer. We're going to sign good QBs.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

College football has turned into a sport where we’ll just have to sign all we can and plan on replacing them within 1-2 years. The era of guys staying 4-5 years is over.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I think Greek is a smart kid that fully understands where he stands. He'll hold the clipboard until his name is called. Then be ready to go.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Not much

Leach and MSU will continue to recruit qbs which fit our system every year just like every other P5 program in the country.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
A lot of you going to eat your words about Rogers. He's accurate and throws a catchable ball. His knock is obviously the elite arm strength and running ability. I'm ready to see where he ultimately ends up with the arm but he's got some Eli Manning in him, as far as his physical play, but also a little bit of the Peyton-type brain.

You might end up being shocked this year.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
This may be the single worst post about Will Rogers in the past, present, or future of this message board.

May be the worst post about Will, but it is true and still possible to be proven to be true over the next three years. Fact is, he lost to them twice.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
A lot of you going to eat your words about Rogers. He's accurate and throws a catchable ball. His knock is obviously the elite arm strength and running ability. I'm ready to see where he ultimately ends up with the arm but he's got some Eli Manning in him, as far as his physical play, but also a little bit of the Peyton-type brain.

You might end up being shocked this year.

Agree with all of this.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Do you not see how much of a reach some of these teams are willing to take on a qb in the draft? You should really check out the drafts nowadays

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Dak was also 0-2 against Ole Miss as a starter….including a loss while leading the best team we had in 73 years. What’s your point?

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Hard to imagine a guy throwing it all over the field 65 times a game with no arm strength. From the far hash mark to the sideline 10 yards downfield is a pretty long pass in case you don't know. And I think we will see a few more qb runs this year thanks to more depth at qb. I agree with everyone that 4 or 5 8 to 10 yard runs will keep the D off balance

Feb 4, 2015
All this talk of Rogers going pro needs to have the brakes pumped. He has yet to show he’s willing to throw downfield AND connect on those downfield passes and not just 3-4 yard short pass varieties.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Rogers is not a pro QB

Agreed. He is simply putting up the numbers that all Leach’s QB’s always put up. Very few of the others have been drafted. None besides Tim Couch have started longer than a season or two….and Couch only did because of the draft capital invested in him.

Thats the beauty of the system….it doesn’t require a QB with elite physical skills in order to put up elite numbers. Will is a solid QB who probably could have been pretty good but not great in other college offenses. He’s great in this one….but he’ll never play in this system again after he graduates.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
True enough. I mean the 5th year senior that was the first qb drafted this year out threw him by 1.8 yards per attempt. Not to mention a 67.2 % completion ratio compared to 73.9%. 4319 yards up against 4739. 683 attempts against 497. No comparison.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
True enough. I mean the 5th year senior that was the first qb drafted this year out threw him by 1.8 yards per attempt. Not to mention a 67.2 % completion ratio compared to 73.9%. 4319 yards up against 4739. 683 attempts against 497. No comparison.

drunk thoughts:

good data to digest

it’s hard to project him anywhere but up

sure, he checks down… because he plays in the SEC west where all the first and 2nd round defensive picks from this draft, will play major minutes in the NFL this coming season.

I expect his YPA to continue to escalate. It’s the nature of the beast with the pirate way.

Remember, he faced some of the best HS talent in the country….he then goes to SEC west and starts as Freshman….and stood face! I’m not betting the under for Will. I’ve enjoyed watching his progression in this system. It’s truly like playing with Akron in NCAA 14, starting a freshman, breaking all the games records. We are seeing it live at Davis Wade.

Let me step back a moment, …I was a child of Croom. I cried like a baby when we signed Omarr Connor, Keon Humphries and 6’4” Tony Burks…….

Looking back at Dans recruitment history…., he continued to get the heart of Mississippi talent at beginning, like Croom was able to do…..which, as we know, were mostly defensive players. As OM shook the Freeze era, we began to lose our MS talent.

Dan always lacked an elite WR….main reason, he could not recruit an elite Qb. The number 1 qb coach couldn’t recruit an elite qb…. For whatever reason.

Fast forward: Hall of Fame Coach
The hire for Leach on surface definitely had me scratching the knots on my noggin…we run the football in MS and play defense. I give Cohen credit for having balls and sticking with the data. Yes, we knew it would take time. The data tells me that the pirate is right on his normal projection.

Rambling over: summary

Pirate recruits everything that always wanted: Multiple high ranked OL ..Multiple high ranked WR and Multiple top 30 QBs….

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login