What has happened to homework?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
Helping my six year old, first grade, with his homework. This math lesson tells me that 3 + 3 is considered a “double plus,” because there are two 3’s. Then it tells me to explain how 3 + 4 is a “double plus 1,” because you added one to the second 3. It then asks to have your kid look throughout the house for both “double plus” objects, such as things with 2-3-4 of the same stuff in it- IE two rolling die or a bike because two tires- and have them call out “double plus!”

How in the hell do you explain that to a six year old?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The math can be a little frustrating at times. Some of it I totally get because it’s helping them learn to do math in their head better but some it is “WTF is this?”

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think it's teaching more analytical rather than memorization. Some people are better at memorization some are not. Most math in our past for basic math and multiplication was based on memorization.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Helping my six year old, first grade, with his homework. This math lesson tells me that 3 + 3 is considered a “double plus,” because there are two 3’s. Then it tells me to explain how 3 + 4 is a “double plus 1,” because you added one to the second 3. It then asks to have your kid look throughout the house for both “double plus” objects, such as things with 2-3-4 of the same stuff in it- IE two rolling die or a bike because two tires- and have them call out “double plus!”

I'm feeling your pain. Got a sophomore in high school and last year I was trying to help her in algebra 1. This is **** I haven't seen in over 30 years. I'm having to go back and teach myself all over again. I figure it out and go to explain it and she stops me and says that's not how the teacher works them. I look at her notes and I have no 17ing idea what I'm looking at. Could be hieroglyphics from an alien landing craft for all I know. She tells me the teacher will count off if she doesn't work them like she does. I tell her I can tell you how to work the problem but not like whatever ET scribble she has in her notebook. It seems like the textbook writers try to make themselves stay relevant by inventing new more complicated ways to work problems than the old tried and true methods that were used for decades. All this new common core BS can go 17 itself in right in the ***.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
I’m a teacher. A lot of what I’ve seen in education is people just trying to re-invent the wheel.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Same. Eventually I said 17 it and enrolled my kid at our local Mathnasium. Well worth the money. The high school kids that teach the younger kids know how to do it.

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
I would work the algebra and calculus and get the same as the above poster ... "that's not how they showed us". I got frustrated and finally would just do the problem and say "here is the correct answer, when you do it the teachers way and get this result you've done it correctly". Fortunately that worked for me. Still have no idea what the heck they were trying to teach with the "new way".

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The math can be a little frustrating at times. Some of it I totally get because it’s helping them learn to do math in their head better but some it is “WTF is this?”

The factoring and little boxes and dots... I just showed mine how to carry the one and everybody was a lot happier.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

My kids were the first group to start with Singapore math. They do all kinds of math in their head that us old 17s can't understand. Give it time. The alternative is to make your kids the homeschool geeks that my kids hate.

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
My kids were the first group to start with Singapore math. They do all kinds of math in their head that us old 17s can't understand. Give it time. The alternative is to make your kids the homeschool geeks that my kids hate.
I stareted teaching my kids to do math in their head by making change at stores. They saw the total and what I gave and they were challenge to figure out the change before cashier could use the calculator. They could math. They just had trouble "new mathing". It is all bS to get a phd student their degree. In my humble opinion.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
If you can't understand it, you'll let them down. They struggle and you'll then be forced to sleep with their teacher to get them the grades. Good luck if the teacher is a dude.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
My kids had to draw pictures and circle groups of dots to learn multiplication. I learned that 5 times 4 equals 20 BECAUSE THATS WHAT THE FLASHCARD SAYS SO MEMORIZE IT.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
My man, 17 all that common-core, going around the block to cross the street ********. Simplicity is the language of the universe.

Check out Scott Flansburg’s approach to math on YouTube. I’m not a math guy by nature, but he has helped me tremendously in getting through some required continuing education courses.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Ours were being taught the number line.

We said “screw this” and made them memorize everything old school. Our oldest aced math until she became a tween, then promptly forgot as much as she could because that’s what she does now, but the youngest is still going strong.

HuskyBDawg

Nov 26, 2017
The replies from Trojandawg and Hotmop are on point. We want the next generation of people to understand problem-solving, not just rote memorization. Your son will acquire the 4+3 = 7 into rote memory, but he will also understand that doubling a number means to multiply it by two. That's an introduction to multiplication. You could take it further into 2x+1, where you're building a basis for algebra.

Your son is lucky to have a dad who participates in his education. He already has a leg up.

Last edited:

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Hmm, perhaps that what the new math is trying to prevent. Rote memorization until you reach a certain age and then forget it with still many years of schooling left.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
We have to close the math achievement gap and this is the only way to do that. It's designed to frustrate good students who excel at math, make them completely uninterested in learning this horseshit innovation thus lowering their grades to eliminate achievement gaps. Parents of formerly successful students will likewise become completely frustrated, tell their kids what's the point of studying and working hard anymore, then quit their jobs and give up on life. Equity achieved.

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
Hmm, perhaps that what the new math is trying to prevent. Rote memorization until you reach a certain age and then forget it with still many years of schooling left.

Yeah because the tiny bit of progress we've made in the last couple hundred years proves we need a better way. I mean if everyone hadn't forgot their memorization we could've built rockets to put us in space by now.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Insert the video from years ago that had the guy solve a math problem in seconds and then watch a video of a teacher solving the same problem while he brewed a pot of coffee…

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Simplicity is the language of the universe.

Why is it so hard for people to understand this? Every problem is solved by simplistic solutions. It might take 25 simple solutions to fix the problems but everyone looks at the big mess and has no idea where to start.

All problems. Math, perosn, etc.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Problem solving is definitely key but you don't have to double a 3 and add a 1 to problem solve.

You can simply add 3 1s. 5, 6, 7. You can add 2 and 1 to get 7.

There are lots of ways to solve problems so don't pigeon hole them.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The replies from Trojandawg and Hotmop are on point. We want the next generation of people to understand problem-solving, not just rote memorization. Your son will acquire the 4+3 = 7 into rote memory, but he will also understand that doubling a number means to multiply it by two. That's an introduction to multiplication. You could take it further into 2x+1, where you're building a basis for algebra.

Your son is lucky to have a dad who participates in his education. He already has a leg up.

I was a little frustrated by how math was being taught to my daughter in first and second grade but once I finally understood the why behind changing teaching techniques, it made more sense. It has worked well with my daughter. She has not just memorized the answer to math problems but can apply it.

But with that said, it is frustrating to not be able to teach your kid something because they are learning it completely different that most of us likely did. So, I do understand where the OP is coming from.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Insert the video from years ago that had the guy solve a math problem in seconds and then watch a video of a teacher solving the same problem while he brewed a pot of coffee…

I’ve seen that video… thankfully, I’ve not seen my daughter come home trying to do anything quite that ridiculous.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I've always called 6 a triple double. Double the 1 to get 2, triple the 2 to get 6.

But seriously... that's probably next weeks lesson.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

But rote memorization works for basic problems. I haven't had to work out 5+5 or 3*7 is my head for years. Those answers are just ingrained into my memory from lots of work with multiplication tables, etc. Quit complicating the basic **** and making it harder than it is. I am seeing that turn my kids against math. They think if the basic stuff is this hard I have no chance when I get up into the advanced maths. They're scared to death of words like trigonometry and calculus now. I mentioned analytical geometry the other day and one of them damn near fainted. I always liked math because it followed set rules with no exceptions like English. 2+ 2 is always 4. A negative divided by a negative is always positive. Don't make it any harder than that. Keep it that simple. Don't have kids drawing boxes and dots and who knows what else to multiple 104 X 317.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
The purpose is to drive home the concept of two things being added to each other of equal value. This concept will be built upon to describe the concepts of multiplication. Think about how your head processes information to do a problem like 12x30, right. In my head I break it down into its component parts. 10x30 + 2x30 and then add those two easy numbers up to get the 360. They are setting the foundation to teach students how to use different systems and thought processes to solve a problem they immediately do not know the answer to.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
That video goes a little over the top because it’s the woman explaining how it works. If you were explaining long multiplication or division to someone it would take a while too. When kids learn that method they can do big problems in their head.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
China has been teaching it this way for decades, and they are kicking our *** in math.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
The root cause issue is that the federal government is involved in something where they have no business.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
It's not the curriculum. It's their culture. We are too preoccupied with other things.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I've heard a handful of teachers say the remote learning really put some students behind the curve. It was a well intentioned idea that didn't work.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Math is an exact science. I've never understood the trepidation over common core or any other core.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The ones that it really hurt were low income household kids that really didn’t have access to things to help them or maybe even a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login