What is making Van Buren more successful than Shapen?...

patdog

May 28, 2007
MVB is the best FR QB I've ever seen at State. It's his job as long as he chooses to stay and is healthy. He's the future of our football program.
Best FR since Dak. Best true FR since Bond.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Come on. Van Buren was highly rated but let’s stop acting like Shapen is a bum. He threw for nearly 1000 yards and 8 TDs behind a line that couldn’t block Toledo.

The guy has thrown over 6000 yards and 40 TDs in his career. Based on that alone he’s probably the 3rd or 4th best QB that has ever suited up for MSU. It wasn’t his fault he had no RBs or OL to help him out
You're the only one I've seen refer to Shapen as a bum.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Put down the crack pipe. Bond was the 3rd leading rusher in the SEC & the 7th ranked passer. And led us to an unheard of at the time 9-3 season.
In the history of the SEC there are less than a handful of QBs as good as Bond was a Freshman and none any better. Too bad he never got much better.

But that guy knew how to party.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
In the history of the SEC there are less than a handful of QBs as good as Bond was a Freshman and none any better. Too bad he never got much better.

But that guy knew how to party.
Different era. The QB position is completely different now. But he was fun as hell to watch!

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Put down the crack pipe. Bond was the 3rd leading rusher in the SEC & the 7th ranked passer. And led us to an unheard of at the time 9-3 season.
Bond never completed 50% of his passes in a season and never had more passing TDs than INTs in a season. Van Buren will have more passing yards this season than probably any season Bond had. I ain't the one on the pipe lol.
But I he could run that wishbone like a machine.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
New offense, new coach new players, it was taking some time wish Shapen but it was getting better. Now, MVB is also obviously way more talented. I think they also simplied the playbook for everyone starting at Texas and and have only slightly opened it up week to week as mvb and team gets more comfortable. I dont think we had the whole playbook good as we should with Shapen because we showed streaks of good then with Arizona state coming back. Our defense has just been so bad if you make a mistake on offense you are playing catch up the whole game which puts more stress on you.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Bond never completed 50% of his passes in a season and never had more passing TDs than INTs in a season. I ain't the one on the pipe lol.
Can’t compare passing stats between eras. But even there VB is barely completing 50% of his passes today. Bonds 6.8 yards per attempt in 1980 compares pretty favorably to VB’s 6.9. And he ran for 720 yards vs negative yards for VB.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Is he? He has 31 carries for -5 yards on the year along with 11 sacks. No doubt that he’s a step up from Rogers, but he’s far from a dual threat based on what I’ve seen so far
Nobody could escape some of the pressure A&M put on MVB the second half. He's a pass first, run second QB, which is what we need. If he ever gets in the open field I feel like he will be really great.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login