What is the best place to go eat BBQ?

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I frequented Sonny's outside Starkville. I have been to Franklin. I have eaten at Dreamland while the the old man was still cooking. I have been to Heirloom Market in Atlanta.

Where can I do that beats those?

• Haha
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Start a thread about BBQ restaurants
Here you go…
I frequented Sonny's outside Starkville. I have been to Franklin. I have eaten at Dreamland while the the old man was still cooking. I have been to Heirloom Market in Atlanta.

Go to Spain. Eat the Jamón Ibérico.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
One time I had to pick up friends from the Memphis airport, but I was early, and I was poor and in college, so I went to Chilis, and the waitress there made me a weird drink she called “Sex With An Alligator”, and I saw some baby back ribs on the menu that looked pretty good

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

It's mother17ing obvious...

348s.jpg

Makes me so hard a cat couldn't scratch it.... That's brisket. Only thing comparable would be the poached tapeworm down at the Ethiopian joint.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
Y’all go to Clay’s House of Pig in East Tupelo for the best ribs I have ever eaten. Clay died early during the Covid epidemic, but his staff soldiers on. Just recently went to Dreamland on a baseball trip. Clay’s is better. It’s in an old bait shop at the edge of a swamp. Nothing to look at, but get you a plate of ribs.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
If you are in the Memphis area check out Bain BBQ.

Also anyone selling jerk Chicken on the side of the road in Belize. Get a half chicken and there should be someone close by selling fresh Mango.

Reactions: MSUGUY

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
Rendezvous in Memphis is still an experience.
A lot of people talk bad about Rendezvous but I always have a good time when we take friends there. If you go there expecting slow cooked fall off the bone ribs like you get everywhere else in Memphis you will be disappointed. Their ribs are char grilled and they are good for what they are but not amazing. If you go there on a busy night it is a sight to see.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022

unequivically, the absolute best bbq i've ever had was Petty's in starkville and i' ve tried it allover the country. rendezvous in memphis is up there. Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem is also really good. I've never gotten the vinegar in the bbq as they do in north carolina, it's really disgusting but they swear by it. Lucky B's in saint petersburg is pretty good too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reddog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Rendezvous in Memphis is still an experience.
People can say what they want about where their ribs rank overall, and full disclosure… they’re not in my top 5. That said, no one ever forgets their first trip to Rendezvous, and the experience is hard to match

Reactions: onewoof

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I have not been to as many bbq places as I’d like to have gone to… but 2 that I’ve had recently that I thought were really good was Goldee’s in Texas (can’t remember if we were in Dallas or Fort Worth) and pappy’s in St. Louis.

As for a local place, pig and pint in Jackson is pretty good too.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016

Schulz's Pit Room in Seguin TX and City Market in Luling TX is some of the best I've had.

Wright's BBQ in Northwest Arkansas is really good if you ever come to UPig for a game. Get there early if you don't want to wait in long line.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Hutchin's in Frisco TX may not be the best bbq, but I haven't had any that was better when it comes to brisket, ribs, and sides.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The best I've ever had from a place that's still around is Bunyan's in Florence AL.

Feb 20, 2011
I have not been to as many bbq places as I’d like to have gone to… but 2 that I’ve had recently that I thought were really good was Goldee’s in Texas (can’t remember if we were in Dallas or Fort Worth) and pappy’s in St. Louis.

I moved to TX a few years ago. Never been to Goldee's (in Fort Worth, btw), but it regularly ranks one of the best in TX.

Heim (a few locations in DFW) is really good. My favorite is 407 BBQ in Argyle.

Also, brisket >>> pork.

Reactions: onewoof

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007

Goldee's is near me in FW. I've never been, mainly because I refuse to wait hours in line for BBQ that I know darn well I can make similarly on my smoker. It's the new "in" place to go, so lines are brutal. That said, I'd still like to try it because it's so close by.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Schulz's Pit Room in Seguin TX and City Market in Luling TX is some of the best I've had.

Wright's BBQ in Northwest Arkansas is really good if you ever come to UPig for a game. Get there early if you don't want to wait in long line.

When we lived in Centex....city market, salt lick, and cooper's in Llano. In that order for us.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Brandon longtimers know this place, but I'm not sure how much pub it gets around the state. Smokehouse on 471 has the best BBQ around. It's in an old family house out in the country, as all good barbeque joints should be. They feed MSU teams and coaches anytime they are in town. Good State people.

Oh and the banana pudding... My lord. I may have to go there for lunch today.

macpappy

Aug 8, 2010
Granted I refuse to spend a single red cent in the city of Jackson anymore, they have the best BBQ I have ever tasted at E and L BBQ. I would recommend no one ever go to that part of town but no doubt some fine BBQ.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Goldee's is near me in FW. I've never been, mainly because I refuse to wait hours in line for BBQ that I know darn well I can make similarly on my smoker. It's the new "in" place to go, so lines are brutal. That said, I'd still like to try it because it's so close by.
I didn’t realize it was such a popular place I guess. I didn’t actually go to the restaurant. I had someone bring a plate from there. It was good but I don’t know that I’d wait hours for anything.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I didn’t realize it was such a popular place I guess. I didn’t actually go to the restaurant. I had someone bring a plate from there. It was good but I don’t know that I’d wait hours for anything.
Love the Smokehouse on 25 and really the best bbq comes from backyard cooks that aren’t worried about making it as cheaply as possible. That being said your post got me to thinking and I agree. I have never understood waiting for hours for bbq just to say you did. Example Franklin bbq. I have heard it is good, but get up at 6 in the morning to wait in a 3 hour line? Nothing is that good.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Honestly, the best BBQ i've ever eaten was at Q39 in Kansas City a couple of years ago. Stopped in there on the way to Omaha.

As far as NE MS goes, the best I've eaten in this area in a long time is Clays House of Pig (Chop) in Tupelo........Tough to beat it in this part of the State.....

Last edited:

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
BBQ Drippings in West Point is pretty dang good. And that Exxon on Hwy 45 in Macon has a guy cooking ribs outside on Friday nights that are about as good as you can get anywhere. Sams in Austin for Texas BBQ. I love the BBQ joints you see featured in magazines as much as anyone, but I am also of the opinion that you can find some of the best in the world just stopping for gas on a road trip.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login