What is the best place to go eat BBQ?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
You’d have to make a roadtrip, but Mad Jack’s Mountaintop Barbeque in Cloudcroft NM.

the brisket is the best I have ever eaten.

open Thursday-Sunday from 11 am until they run out, the line usuallly starts forming around 9 am.

look them up on facebook
It's one I want to hit badly. The owner is from Lockhart Texas and is doing it right by all accounts. I'm more impressed with what Mad Jack's is doing than any BBQ joint in the country, because he's doing it 8700'.

I found out about this place looking up how to smoke brisket at high altitude last year after I nuked one on my first attempt (under 6000'.) Since water boils at just over 200° at my altitude and closer to 195° at Mad Jack's, low and slow is in steroids up at elevation. You have to boil an egg for 30% longer at my elevation imagine how much more challenging a 13 lb brisket is at 30% higher...

This is a bucket list BBQ spot for me.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Starkville is getting a new BBQ one in the Breakfast Club location called "The Joint", being started by the Fants that did Taste and also Bluto's. Also Big Bad Breakfast is going in the old Chicken Salad Chick location.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
"Somebody give me some options from Magee south in Mississippi."

Didn't read through the whole thread so someone might have already given a rec for Rose's BBQ but if not that's a good one to try.

On 49 South a few miles south of Hattiesburg. We stopped in there Monday on our way back from NOLA. Smoked wings and brisket are solid....Only complaint, their 🔥bbq sauce could be hotter.

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
Was wondering about "The Joint" when I saw this smoker popup on Facebook being built by Moberg smokers. They build some monster smokers!

Attachments

• the joint smoker.jpg
    the joint smoker.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 2

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
"Somebody give me some options from Magee south in Mississippi."

Didn't read through the whole thread so someone might have already given a rec for Rose's BBQ but if not that's a good one to try.

On 49 South a few miles south of Hattiesburg. We stopped in there Monday on our way back from NOLA. Smoked wings and brisket are solid....Only complaint, their 🔥bbq sauce could be hotter.
Rose’s is really good. I stop by there whenever I’m passing through Hattiesburg.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Had this today at KD's in Midland, TX. Yeah, it was great.
View attachment 338925
Glad you found some. Same goes for most of the south, but even the unheralded BBQ joints in Texas are awfully good most of the time.

I logged in to my Texas Monthly account for you to look around. The Half Acre is where you need to go. TM has an editor and staff that is wholly dedicated to BBQ and every 6 years they put out the top 50. This is where places like Snow's and Franklin get put on the map.

Well the last list came out in 2021 and with COVID most places (500+ joints were visited supposedly) were sampled 2019 or earlier. The only place in Midland Odessa that would have made the top 50 was Up In Smoke, but the oil and gas just closed him down and he moved to the Hill Country before the list came out.

Any how, TM BBQ editor Daniel Vaughn seems to be talking about The Half Acre the way he was talking about some of the 2021 top 5 places (Truth, Goldees, L&L) several years back before the list came out. You may have a chance to get into one of the next destination TX BBQ joints before it explodes and has 3 hour lines.

Not sure if these links will be behind the paywall, so I'll post an image of Vaughn's review of The Half Acre smoked picanha sandwich that I will son be recreating. Hope you can make it and post a review.

Screenshot_20230512-065623.png
Texas Monthly The Half Acre Review
Texas Monthly Best Bites of 2022

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Starkville is getting a new BBQ one in the Breakfast Club location called "The Joint", being started by the Fants that did Taste and also Bluto's. Also Big Bad Breakfast is going in the old Chicken Salad Chick location.
People should riot that the Oxfordite is opening in Starkville

HotMop

May 8, 2006
The place I'm living is on the same street walking distance away. I've only been here a week so I haven't driven that direction.

I'll provide an update next week.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I moved to TX a few years ago. Never been to Goldee's (in Fort Worth, btw), but it regularly ranks one of the best in TX.

Heim (a few locations in DFW) is really good. My favorite is 407 BBQ in Argyle.

Also, brisket >>> pork.
My favorite Texas barbeque is Ten 50 in Dallas.

My favorite southern BBQ are the holes-in-the-wall joints in Memphis: Three Little Pigs, Central, Germantown Commissary, etc. Rendezvous is good for the ambiance but the BBQ sucks. Corky's is overrated.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I came here to read the Petty's and LIttle Dooey bashing and I'm disappointed, don't see any.
I never was brave enough to stop at Petty's and I don't get anything but the Pulled Chicken Salad w/ Sundried Tomato dressing at Dooey's.
Dooeys is good for what it is and where it is.

If I'm eating there, I'm having the catfish, though. I get better BBQ in Memphis.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
President Clinton had Marine 1 fly ribs from Prater’s BBQ in Manchester, TN to The White House.

Say what you will about the former President.

One thing that cannot be questioned is that the man was an expert in pleasure…
Is this the first post you've ever made that said more than "I'd hit it" in it?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I found it overpriced and underwhelming the only two times I tried it.
Concur on Rendezvous, they likely have the worst ribs I've ever eaten. It's more about the atmosphere than food (a neat place though).
I don’t know why but I forgot about Kenova. Very very good.
For white people BBQ, Kenova is good. I prepare my ribs cooked by a 70-year-old black man half drunk and hallowed-eyed.

Although nothing fancy at all, Roses on 49 South in H'burg has decent ribs.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
6+ months.
I'll be coming through that part of the world at the end of June. Leaving Austin Friday the 30th with the family and heading toward Lubbock. The wife and kids catch a flight out of Lubbock Saturday the 1st and I am driving solo pulling the RV back to Idaho. I'm going to Evie Mae's BBQ after dropping them off, your welcome to meet me there if you're feeling froggy.

Evie Mae's

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
I'll be coming through that part of the world at the end of June. Leaving Austin Friday the 30th with the family and heading toward Lubbock. The wife and kids catch a flight out of Lubbock Saturday the 1st and I am driving solo pulling the RV back to Idaho. I'm going to Evie Mae's BBQ after dropping them off, your welcome to meet me there if you're feeling froggy.

Evie Mae's
Sonny's on 16th section was the best for years, but it's gone. The old building in West Point off Churchill near the old Bryan entrance was awesome BBQ also, think it's gone or moved. As far as Memphis goes, if you go south of Winchester, there are several that serve great BBQ that kick all the fancy places asses in Memphis. Just have to go during the day.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

Evie Mae's
Destination BBQ less than 2 hours away? I'm down, hit me up when you are going.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
Somebody give me some options from Magee south in Mississippi. Points deducted if you mention the Shed. Preferably something better than Murky Waters unless there really is just no other option.
Growing up in extreme north Mississippi....roamed over most of W. Tenn. Every town and small community has a BBQ place and probably 90% were great BBq.

Think that might be a lost/declining art.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login