What is the best place to go eat BBQ?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I frequented Sonny's outside Starkville. I have been to Franklin. I have eaten at Dreamland while the the old man was still cooking. I have been to Heirloom Market in Atlanta.

Where can I do that beats those?
Somebody give me some options from Magee south in Mississippi. Points deducted if you mention the Shed. Preferably something better than Murky Waters unless there really is just no other option.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I came here to read the Petty's and LIttle Dooey bashing and I'm disappointed, don't see any.
I never was brave enough to stop at Petty's and I don't get anything but the Pulled Chicken Salad w/ Sundried Tomato dressing at Dooey's.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I prefer my own ribs and such these days. COVID just put such a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to restaurants. I've seen how fragile the business is and how hard it is to truly find a restaurant that's worth paying good money for.

I've also watched too many Restaurant Impossibles.

Reactions: dorndawg

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I went to Central last week for lunch and was highly disappointed but I just got pulled pork. The person that was with me got ribs and said that they were great but he is from Minnesota. They don’t even have BBQ up there.
Actually there is a BBQ chain that originated out of Minnesota called Famous Dave’s BBQ. It used to be legit BBQ before they got too big. The sampler platter came to the table on an upside down garbage can lid. It changed my opinion on northern Q. As with any restaurant, they got big and the quality suffered

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
Central BBQ in Memphis and Martin's BBQ in Nashville. I am in Jacksonville, FL now and miss my BBQ fix, but the best I have found here that's closest to Memphis is The Bearded Pig in San Marco, Jax.

Reactions: bolddogge

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Actually there is a BBQ chain that originated out of Minnesota called Famous Dave’s BBQ. It used to be legit BBQ before they got too big. The sampler platter came to the table on an upside down garbage can lid. It changed my opinion on northern Q. As with any restaurant, they got big and the quality suffered

Yup. Not sure what Lee is talking about. After Famous Dave's took off, Dave opened a second smaller chain that is still supposed to be good, Old Southern BBQ. Minneapolis has a good reputation for solid BBQ outside of Dave as well.

Dave Anderson is legit and legitimizes all of MN BBQ in a way. He is in the BBQ hall of fame in Kansas City. Went in the year before Charlie Vergos, Tuffy Stone, and Tootsie Tomanetz.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I frequented Sonny's outside Starkville. I have been to Franklin. I have eaten at Dreamland while the the old man was still cooking. I have been to Heirloom Market in Atlanta.

Texaco on 182 by Dave's.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Somebody give me some options from Magee south in Mississippi. Points deducted if you mention the Shed. Preferably something better than Murky Waters unless there really is just no other option.
Salt Pepper Oak in Diamondhead. Only open on Saturdays (limited menu on Fridays). I've only had it once, but the burnt ends were the best bbq I've ever had (albeit not an expert in bbq by any means). The ribs were a bit underwhelming.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’m not picky about BBQ and I’ll eat it from anywhere but I do think Memphis BBQ Company has the best ribs especially the spare ribs. They’re perfect every time I get them

Pulled pork is just whatever for me. It tastes the same no matter if it’s my own or from [insert name here].

Central has really good smoked wings.

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012
The Salt Lick outside of Austin has a nice Texas brisket and charred ribs that are hard to beat. I don't mean the crappy Salt Lick franchises in the city; I mean the original in hills. So many good styles of BBQ out there that have distinctly different flavors.

Midwood Smokehouse in Columbia, South Carolina is very good as well if you find yourself in that area.

The Shed Market outside of Abilene, Texas is pretty good too for Texas style.

I like Rendezvous, the Commissary, and even Memphis Barbeque Co in Memphis for different styles. I haven't had Interstate's for some reason, but people say its aight.

Joe's in Kansas City is pretty good, but lots of options there and didn't have time to taste test many.

Dreamland was good once, but it's not worth the stop anymore.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
A lot of people talk bad about Rendezvous but I always have a good time when we take friends there. If you go there expecting slow cooked fall off the bone ribs like you get everywhere else in Memphis you will be disappointed. Their ribs are char grilled and they are good for what they are but not amazing. If you go there on a busy night it is a sight to see.
I have found that a slow Thursday afternoon or anytime similar is the best time to go. They’re not pushing you out the door and the quality of the Q seems to improve.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Panther City in Fort Worth

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I took the question as a place to go versus the best BBQ. Going to Rendezvous is an experience with the ambiance and the waiters and the alley entrance. It is totally hit or miss on the actual food.

Central is much more consistent on the food and they opened one up at Snowden. However eating there is not like eating at the original or downtown. Plus my last few trips to downtown wasn't very good. Service was 💩.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
If you are in the Memphis area check out Bain BBQ.

Also anyone selling jerk Chicken on the side of the road in Belize. Get a half chicken and there should be someone close by selling fresh Mango.
Second this really good take on Memphis bbq

RNBulldog

Jan 7, 2020
I’m not picky about BBQ and I’ll eat it from anywhere but I do think Memphis BBQ Company has the best ribs especially the spare ribs. They’re perfect every time I get them

Pulled pork is just whatever for me. It tastes the same no matter if it’s my own or from [insert name here].

Central has really good smoked wings.
DCD has the correct answer in the Memphis area. The lady from Memphis BBQ has won lots of competitions and the ribs are consistently some of the best I’ve had. I’ll also give a nod to The BBQ Shop on Madison Ave. One of my places in Memphis that doesn’t get as much pub, but is consistently fantastic.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I'm currently working a job in Midland, TX, there's a ton of BBQ places here. I'm going to hit one up a week until I test them all. Does anyone know of a good place to start? I saw 2 BBQ food trucks today but couldn't stop as I was with people from work, they looked shady as hell and were in a horrible place in town, probably get shanked but 17 it.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Yup. Not sure what Lee is talking about. After Famous Dave's took off, Dave opened a second smaller chain that is still supposed to be good, Old Southern BBQ. Minneapolis has a good reputation for solid BBQ outside of Dave as well.

Dave Anderson is legit and legitimizes all of MN BBQ in a way. He is in the BBQ hall of fame in Kansas City. Went in the year before Charlie Vergos, Tuffy Stone, and Tootsie Tomanetz.
This guy lives in Minneapolis and was just posting what he said. He was not a fan of MN BarBQ but thought the Ribs at Central BBQ were good but the brisket not so much.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm currently working a job in Midland, TX, there's a ton of BBQ places here. I'm going to hit one up a week until I test them all. Does anyone know of a good place to start? I saw 2 BBQ food trucks today but couldn't stop as I was with people from work, they looked shady as hell and were in a horrible place in town, probably get shanked but 17 it.
It's about a 2 hour drive if you are up for it, but Evie Mae's just south of Lubbock is one of the top places in all of Texas. I'm going on a big family trip throughout Texas in June and on the way back up to the Rockies I am going to make it a point to stop at Evie Mae's.

It's number 8 on the Texas Monthly top 50 (which only comes out every 6 years) sandwiched right between Franklin and Snow's. Not bad company.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Rendezvous in Memphis is great for people who don’t know shiite about BBQ. Possibly the absolute ribs I’ve ever tried to eat, anywhere. Their ribs aren’t smoked-as ribs should be. They are char-grilled, which means burned and dry. Rendezvous ribs are absolutely terrible-anyone who says different has never eaten a quality pork rib. I’ll be happy to demonstrate the proper BBQ rib to anyone who wants to experience it.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
This thread is proof that anything on SPS asking for opinions on food will produce 75+ replies with no chance of my cyber friend DCD ending it.

ClintonInHelen

Feb 25, 2008
President Clinton had Marine 1 fly ribs from Prater’s BBQ in Manchester, TN to The White House.

Say what you will about the former President.

One thing that cannot be questioned is that the man was an expert in pleasure…

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
These are all Memphis suggestions.

For pulled pork go to Paynes on Lamar.

Ribs either BBQ Shop on Madison or Cozy Corner on North Parkway (near St. Jude's). If you go to Cozy Corner you might want to try the Cornish Game Hen.

Central used to be the best ribs but they've fallen off as they've expanded. The downtown location near the Civil Rights Museum is their best location IMO.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I've been wanting to try Salt Lick right outside Austin. Still haven't had a chance to go.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
My vote for best BBQ in the Jackson MS area goes to Kenova Smokehouse just off Lakeland and Grant’s Ferry.
We went there out of the blue back in 2021 to meet our future daughter-in-law's parents, and the food really surprised me how good it was. It's the best I've had in Mississippi in a long while.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Rendezvous in Memphis is great for people who don’t know shiite about BBQ. Possibly the absolute ribs I’ve ever tried to eat, anywhere. Their ribs aren’t smoked-as ribs should be. They are char-grilled, which means burned and dry. Rendezvous ribs are absolutely terrible-anyone who says different has never eaten a quality pork rib. I’ll be happy to demonstrate the proper BBQ rib to anyone who wants to experience it.
That's a bold take there cowboy. We're not talking about a beaver toothed gas station attendant reheating the same brisket you get at Arby's or Subway... Rendezvous is legit. Maybe not the style you like, but most of us are able to enjoy a different style.

You don't have to smoke indirectly to cook good ribs. A whole lot of great BBQ is cooked over direct coals, the folks out in the Hill Country of Texas like the Salt lick and Rodney Scott in South Carolina all cook their ribs over direct heat from coals.

As for Rendezvous, it's been the better part of 10 years since I have eaten there and I heard (mainly in this board) it's hit or miss these days. But the last time I had them they were damn good. Not a low and slow butter bomb where the bone falls in your lap when you pick it up, but still tender with a wonderful dry rub and the flavor you only get when the juices hit the fire underneath. And for the record I have eaten some damn fine pork ribs from all over the country. And some of the worst garbage you've ever imagined. Rendezvous is way up the list for me.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008

Ubon's BBQ on Highway 49 east in Yazoo City. If you find yourself there, otherwise don't worry about it.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021

You’d have to make a roadtrip, but Mad Jack’s Mountaintop Barbeque in Cloudcroft NM.

the brisket is the best I have ever eaten.

open Thursday-Sunday from 11 am until they run out, the line usuallly starts forming around 9 am.

look them up on facebook

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
Central BBQ in Memphis and Martin's BBQ in Nashville. I am in Jacksonville, FL now and miss my BBQ fix, but the best I have found here that's closest to Memphis is The Bearded Pig in San Marco, Jax.
I've sampled BBQ From New York to West Texas to the Carolinas down to Central America and the Caribbean and most hot spots in between. Martins and Central are my top 2.

Reactions: LandArchDawg

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The shed

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
That's a bold take there cowboy. We're not talking about a beaver toothed gas station attendant reheating the same brisket you get at Arby's or Subway... Rendezvous is legit. Maybe not the style you like, but most of us are able to enjoy a different style.

You don't have to smoke indirectly to cook good ribs. A whole lot of great BBQ is cooked over direct coals, the folks out in the Hill Country of Texas like the Salt lick and Rodney Scott in South Carolina all cook their ribs over direct heat from coals.

As for Rendezvous, it's been the better part of 10 years since I have eaten there and I heard (mainly in this board) it's hit or miss these days. But the last time I had them they were damn good. Not a low and slow butter bomb where the bone falls in your lap when you pick it up, but still tender with a wonderful dry rub and the flavor you only get when the juices hit the fire underneath. And for the record I have eaten some damn fine pork ribs from all over the country. And some of the worst garbage you've ever imagined. Rendezvous is way up the list for me.
Your post is invalid. You do not respect the Bucees brisket

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login