What is your assessment of Will Rogers and his legacy?....

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
During his time here, where would we be, or what would we have done without him?
Must have been the best we had.

He's a keeper.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The Swat by Randy Charlton keeps his legacy undecided to this point.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
T&L show today took a look back at Will Rogers and his career. Specifically how he stands to statistically be one of the best QBs in State history and a very good SEC QB but does not get the recognition he deserves even among many state fans.

So how does the pack sees Will Rogers? All opinions welcome. Here is mine.

I'm kind of on the fence. My assessment is he is a good solid QB but not a great one. I think his numbers are inflated by scheme and longevity. To me he is best characterized as kind of a dichotomy of doing some things above average and some below. What he does very well is make good reads and consistently throw the football with a high degree of accuracy within a limited range if given a fairly clean pocket. This has served him pretty well for multiple years. But what he does not do well is throw vertically or make plays with his feet. He still tends to roll into an approaching outside rush instead of stepping up in the pocket and then his instinct is often to turn his back and run backward to escape pressure. I'd put him way below Dak and maybe a couple of other former QBs but definitely in the top 5.
He’s probably the 4th best qb we’ve had since 1980

Dak
Fitz/hond
Rogers

hopefully he wins 8 or 9 this year and the egg bowl

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Was Will ever injured while playing at Brandon? His protection mode of running is like a guy who doesn't want to go into rehab again. If he wasn't injured then was he told not to take chances because we never had a proven backup or is he simply not a physical runner. Don't know the answer but maybe since this is his senior year he will take the brakes off and run more physical. If this happens coupled with his accuracy he will be a force on the field and make the Top 5 list.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If he goes out and win 9 to 10 games this season he will be in the same league as Bond, Dak and Don.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Chris Doering just picked Rogers as the 2nd best QB in the SEC this season on SEC Now. Daniels of LSU was #1. Doering must have heard that SPS was upset that Rogers wasn't getting any respect and ESPN feared a blowback like BudLite. **

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Ho
T&L show today took a look back at Will Rogers and his career. Specifically how he stands to statistically be one of the best QBs in State history and a very good SEC QB but does not get the recognition he deserves even among many state fans.

I'm kind of on the fence. My assessment is he is a good solid QB but not a great one. I think his numbers are inflated by scheme and longevity. To me he is best characterized as kind of a dichotomy of doing some things above average and some below. What he does very well is make good reads and consistently throw the football with a high degree of accuracy within a limited range if given a fairly clean pocket. This has served him pretty well for multiple years. But what he does not do well is throw vertically or make plays with his feet. He still tends to roll into an approaching outside rush instead of stepping up in the pocket and then his instinct is often to turn his back and run backward to escape pressure. I'd put him way below Dak and maybe a couple of other former QBs but definitely in the top 5.
I don’t know where he ranks in Msstate history as far as QBs go, but I DO know he is the most unathletic QB we have had since Matt Wyatt.

Reactions: FrontRangeDawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
"I was at the 2021 Auburn game and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of our QB’s totally command the game 2nd half like Will did that day."

There, that's the way I think it really happened cause we were "perty turrible" the 1st half

I mean we only had the ball three times before we started our big run and one of those drives netted a field goal. Our biggest problem early in that game was our defense was getting shredded.

The 40-0 stretch and scoring TD’s on six straight drives in that stadium will always be remarkable.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
Going back to that 2021 auburn game. There were times it seemed the auburn DL wasn’t even trying to get to Will. Like there was absolutely zero possibility they were getting a sack for large portions of the game.

Reactions: onewoof

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
I don’t care what scheme you play in, if you finish your career as the all time or top 2 leading passer in conference history, you’re a dude. When we were running the air raid, we said it wouldn’t work because the defenses in the SEC were too good. Now we say that his stats are inflated because of the offense. Before last season, I couldn’t confidently point to a game and say that we lost because of QB play. Will is top 5 in MSU history.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I won't argue too much about Fitz's standing as a QB - I loved the guy and loved watching him play. But he was very limited as a passer. He struggled just as much against good defenses as Rogers does, for different reasons.

Rogers can't run, Fitz couldn't pass it well. Dak could do both, which is why he's the clear #1 and everyone else is muddled together. Personally, I think Rogers is a better QB than Fitz but we'll see how it all comes out this year.
Fitz was elite as a runner though. If Rogers was elite as a thrower, he’d be ahead of Fitz easily as elite as a thrower is better for QB.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

Here is the thing about Rogers IMHO... He is a good QB. He played in a system that was tailored to his strengths and put up very solid numbers. His overall numbers are inflated due to the overall philosophy of the offense. If you were to remove around 1000 yards a season from his stats due to those 1000 yards were basically running plays, then his true effectiveness is clearer. This season is going to be very telling. If he comes out and throws for 3700 yards this season.... then it helps his overall legacy.

The two biggest knocks against him as a college QB is that he is not fast and he doesn't have a good overall arm. Can he throw a 40 yarder with some conviction? I do not know. Just put it this way, if I were picking players for a back yard game, I would take Stetson Bennett before Rogers. I am not sure how many times in the past 3 years he could have ran for a first down and didn't, or just could not force the defense to back off the line due to his lack of arm strength. If Mike Leach had a Johnny Football guy, he probably would have never lost a game at MSU.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t care what scheme you play in, if you finish your career as the all time or top 2 leading passer in conference history, you’re a dude. When we were running the air raid, we said it wouldn’t work because the defenses in the SEC were too good. Now we say that his stats are inflated because of the offense. Before last season, I couldn’t confidently point to a game and say that we lost because of QB play. Will is top 5 in MSU history.
If Tyler Russell played in Leach's system, he would have had the SEC record easily in 4 years. Mike Henig too.

• Haha

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Well, his leading returning target is a 5'8" RB and he's surrounded by a bunch of 5'8 - 5'9" WR's. (Walley is the giant of the bunch 5'11"). I think this is the year.
What?
Robinson is 6’4” Roberson 6’2” Spivey and Goede are 6’5” and 6’6”
Hell the only WRs to win a Heisman in the last 35 years were 5’10” and 6’.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
For my age group, it'll be different than other age groups of fans but it's Dak and nobody else right now. If this team really has a huge year, then check back.
I'd put John Bond next, then Wayne Madkin then Jackie Parker. I put Will in the next group of Marler, Pharr, Sleepy, Taite, Don Smith, Rocky somewhere. In the SEC/NCAA record book, Will will be #1 based on numbers. Nothing wrong with that.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
His book isn't completely written yet. This season will go a long way towards defining his legacy. A couple of things:

- Physically, he isn't very imposing, so he's already behind the 8-ball as far as what the sheep are going to think;
- He's very accurate, that's his strong suit;
- He's got presence, and people like that tend to find themselves in good situations, such as him walking into a situation as a freshman that led to him starting for 4 years.

He's an average QB so far. To be remembered as more than that, he has to take a jump. Sometimes he holds on to the ball too long, and we know his arm limitations. To me, he's got to adopt the Brady/Brees style - drop back, throw the ball quickly and accurately, no screwing around. He will have the line to protect him this year, so it's got to happen now.
He' also got to rid himself of "fumble-itis."

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

Will is a better QB than I give him credit for. He should win more and has passed for more than any other MSU QB. The passing is a low bar, and will be looked at better as the future goes by.
I've always been critical as I felt his arm strength limited what he could do, but he is very accurate and has played to his strengths. I still wish he did better with pressure, but that's nit picking. I wish Dak had Will's accuracy.

Ranking MSU qb's I've seen I have him behind Dak and tied with Nick. Both Will and Nick were very good and record breaking as their strength. Both will be defined by how they win in a new offense that makes them do what they are not good as more.

As for best QB's in my watching history, I think more "What if".
What if Don Smith, Sleepy, or Omar played in a Mullen spread.
What if Fant had an O-Line?
What if Taite and Moulds got along better?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Interesting note on Tommy Pharr. He was AP First team All SEC QB (beating out Archie Manning) off of a team that didn't win a game. He was like Johnny football on an absolutely pathetic team.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Ya'll done bumped your heads talking about Rogers being tied with Fitzgerald. That might happen this year if he makes that jump, but that hasn't happened yet. Ya'll forget the trend of improvement in the last half of 2016, then how good we really were in 2017 and 2018. Had Mullen not bolted we win that Egg Bowl and are in the Citrus Bowl, and we'll just never know about 2018, maybe SEC champions.

Then you have the fact that he came back from that ankle injury. Demolished Ole Miss twice, beat #4 A&M, nearly beat Bama, etc. I am hoping that we rise to that level this season with all our returners but the program then was a step above the program now.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
His Legacy has everything to do with this season.
Go 11-1, setting the SEC record for passing yards and TDs along with a trip to Atlanta and whatever else he would go down as one the best QBs to ever play in the SEC.

He just has to win games and look good doing it.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Ya'll done bumped your heads talking about Rogers being tied with Fitzgerald. That might happen this year if he makes that jump, but that hasn't happened yet. Ya'll forget the trend of improvement in the last half of 2016, then how good we really were in 2017 and 2018. Had Mullen not bolted we win that Egg Bowl and are in the Citrus Bowl, and we'll just never know about 2018, maybe SEC champions.

Then you have the fact that he came back from that ankle injury. Demolished Ole Miss twice, beat #4 A&M, nearly beat Bama, etc. I am hoping that we rise to that level this season with all our returners but the program then was a step above the program now.
Rogers is a better overall QB than Fitz. Fitz was way better at being a QB in Mullen's system and being an overall better athlete.
Did Fitz ever win 9 games? I don't remember, but I don't think he did.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023

I agree with many of your sentiments, but based on MSU history at QB, who could you put him behind other than Dak?

Just based on Will's ability to throw TDs I think that firmly cements him at #2.

As far as MSU PASSERS:
1. Dak
2. Will
DISTANT 3 Fant
DISTANT 4 Russell
Nobody Else

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Rogers is a better overall QB than Fitz. Fitz was way better at being a QB in Mullen's system and being an overall better athlete.
Did Fitz ever win 9 games? I don't remember, but I don't think he did.
Fitz carried the teams he played on. So far, Rogers has sort of been in 'ride-along' mode. I don't care about 9 wins (that includes an arbitrary bowl). Those 2017 and 2018 teams would have smashed our 2021 and 2022 teams.

Did I mention he's the SEC's all-time leading rusher?

I don't care about anyone's definition of a QB. I'm talking about production from the position at MSU.

Like I said, ya'll done bumped yo heads.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Fitz carried the teams he played on. So far, Rogers has sort of been in 'ride-along' mode. I don't care about 9 wins (that includes an arbitrary bowl). Those 2017 and 2018 teams would have smashed our 2021 and 2022 teams.

I don't care about anyone's definition of a QB. I'm talking about production from the position at MSU.

That's the problem. Production from the position at MSU has been mainly been running. We don't need a running back under center.

This is the era of the offense. If you can't pass you aren't going to win. There are 50+ teams each year that pass for more than 3000 yards. We have four 3000 yard passers (Dak and Will twice each) in our HISTORY.

Doesn't mean we can't have another guy like a Dak or a better Fitz that can run and pass. But to be relevant in this era of football, you HAVE to have a guy that throws the ball.

It is freaking 2023 and we still have a segment of the fanbase that is just fine with caveman football. Danny Two Gloves got the most he could out of Fitz and Relf and that was very respectable. But we don't need any more projects at the QB position. We've come too far to go back to same ol MSU.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
Talking about QB's. Here is something that will piss you off.

If we had a Real AD in 2002 instead Of Larry Templeton, ponder this.
Utah got Urban for a 4 year $400,000 per year contract. Croom's initial deal was for $750,000 per year. ( ignoring that Jimbo was interested as well)

Now to make it thread related, think about having Omar Connor, Nick Tuner, and Jerious Norwood in the Urban Offense....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's the problem. Production from the position at MSU has been mainly been running. We don't need a running back under center.

This is the era of the offense. If you can't pass you aren't going to win. There are 50+ teams each year that pass for more than 3000 yards. We have four 3000 yard passers (Dak and Will twice each) in our HISTORY.

Doesn't mean we can't have another guy like a Dak or a better Fitz that can run and pass. But to be relevant in this era of football, you HAVE to have a guy that throws the ball.

It is freaking 2023 and we still have a segment of the fanbase that is just fine with caveman football. Danny Two Gloves got the most he could out of Fitz and Relf and that was very respectable. But we don't need any more projects at the QB position. We've come too far to go back to same ol MSU.
That is not what I said, and that was not my argument. You are arguing with a point that doesn’t exist.

But I know this - if I was choosing a QB for this year and my choices are Fitzgerald or Rogers, well that’s an easy choice.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The best receivers Rogers had was Polk. As explosive as Rara was, he dropped a lot of passes. I hope someone steps up big time for Rogers this year. Dan did well getting QB's to excel.

Maybe it'll be that Robinson guy, who was the MVP of our bowl game. He was a 4 star out of HS.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
If he struggles this year then one can argue he was indeed just a good system qb. Still a very good career but not top tier overall.

Every QB plays in a system. You can't pick Relf or Fitz if that's your criteria, because they would have been disasters in any pass heavy system.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
Every QB plays in a system. You can't pick Relf or Fitz if that's your criteria, because they would have been disasters in any pass heavy system.
They wouldn't be top tier either. Good tho for what we were running. But not good enough to adjust as you said.

Reactions: She Mate Me

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012

WTF does 'ride-along' mode mean?
You mean being directly responsible for 64% of our TD production last year? Or 75% in 2021?

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login