What is your assessment of Will Rogers and his legacy?....

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
That is not what I said, and that was not my argument. You are arguing with a point that doesn’t exist.

But I know this - if I was choosing a QB for this year and my choices are Fitzgerald or Rogers, well that’s an easy choice.
I'm choosing Rogers and putting Fitz at Tight End where he can catch the ball and then wreck your defense.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
You are underrating Fitz. In the era you are referencing, we have 1) Dak, then 2) Fitz, then everybody else. Right now, I'd put Relf and Rogers together behind Dak and Fitz. Both really good at some things and limited at others. Both have showed flashes of being great (Rogers against Auburn in 2021, Relf against Michigan) and games where they looked extremely limited (Rogers in Auburn and Ole Miss 2022, Relf in maybe UAB in 2011?; Wake Forest? Not sure on those). And I'm not sure there is that much difference between them and Tyler Russell. We never gave Tyler Russel a solid receiver corp plus the offense was a bad fit. Madkin and Taite are hard to judge because they were basically in a different era for MSU football. I think either one could have been as good as Relf and possibly a good bit better if they got the coaching and scheme that Relf got.

But as of right now, without the benefit of his Senior season, Rogers has been a good QB for us just like Relf. Both of them were a good fit for the system we had at the time. If Rogers improves this year and the offense works, he could catch or even pass Fitz. If he struggles and just can't operate the offense, not sure it affects his place that much. I think he's still around Relf, who also would have struggled if the offense had changed too much from the power spread.
If Mullen had returned to coach Fitz senior season his legacy at State would be on par with Dak.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
He did and like mentioned he owes Charlton a steak dinner every week for bailing his butt out. Had his fumble late in the game cost us the game we would be talking about Parsons non stop in here.
Yes. That was about as horrible a play as I have seen in a long time. We were DAMN lucky to win that game and he owes Charlton way more than a steak dinner.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I personally think Will Rogers is a special QB. Leach said he was a leader from the day he stepped on campus. He was pressed into action as a freshman and commanded respect from the older offensive players. Dak is the only QB that we've had that compares with his leadership ability and that is my biggest gauge for a QB. He's not a running QB so it is hard to compare him with other running QBs.
He is the most accurate QB we've had at State. QB had been our weakest position until Mullen arrived. I've been happy to see the caliber of QBs arriving on campus since then. Some have criticized him for not throwing long passes. Well, it would have been suicide after all the SEC teams went to 3-8 defense when we played them. Leach wanted to take what defenses gave him. That wasn't a Will Rogers problem. I'm looking forward to Will breaking all the State passing records this year. I think he may break several SEC records as well. I'm very happy to have his senior leadership at QB this season.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
What?
Robinson is 6’4” Roberson 6’2” Spivey and Goede are 6’5” and 6’6”
Hell the only WRs to win a Heisman in the last 35 years were 5’10” and 6’.
Only two of those are actually wr's and I hope they all have baller seasons. It really would be nice to see the TE's get more envolved this season. You're going to need somebody to replace the production of Thomas & Ducking. That said Robinson is the fourth returning WR in receptions and yds behind Walley, Griffen, and Harvey in that order. And Harvey is the only one that has more receptions than Marks. Robinson gets his chance this year that's for sure.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login