What makes you want to keep Arnett?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
If he somehow gets to 7-5 - regardless of how we play - he stays.

If we get to 6-6 but look good doing it - I think he will get another year. Close losses to A&M and Ole Miss would make me want to give him another year.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Outside of finishing 7-5 and look really good doing it not a whole lot

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008

If we get to 6-6 but look good doing it - I think he will get another year. Close losses to A&M and Ole Miss would make me want to give him another year.
I mean, I agree with that scenario. I just don't see it happening.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007

I guess 7-5,, but would not feel good about it. Am still really concerned with the in-state recruiting struggles, and not sure if anything other than a new experienced staff can fix that.

TheDawgSaint

Jan 18, 2021
Without winning out…
George Costanza Seinfeld GIF

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Simply put, nothing. Between results on the field, demeanor, and recruiting, I have seen absolutely nothing that gives me the slightest optimism that this staff, top to bottom, knows what it’s doing in any phase of the game, and the SEC isn’t where you learn how to coach. If we somehow did stumble our way to 7-5, it would feel no different to me than 2007 where yeah… the record’s ok, but there still isn’t a thing about the program as a whole that passes the eye test

For the record, I was fully supportive of Arnett getting this gig, but he has made it abundantly clear that it was a mistake, and he’s not ready. Next year is going to be a disaster no matter who is coaching, so I’d like to rip the bandaid off and begin the rebuild by at least getting the right guy in place. That said, I have less than 1% confidence that Selmon will make a move

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
We would have to finish 7-5. Still wouldn’t change that 3-9 is very much on the table next year, and we are postponing the inevitable.

Reactions: HarveyDogMan

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I know we have some posters wanting us to lose to OM and UK so Arnett will be fired, but we can win both of those games.

1. We let points all over the field on the plains.

2. UK is coming off an emoitial loss in their "game of the year." I wouldn't be at all surprised if we beat them.

3. OM struggled mightily against Ark and the barn. They aren't near as good as most have crowned them. Their season comes down to TAMU, who has better wins than OM, and UGA. They get TAMU at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Egg Bowl is a one possession game deep in the 4th. Their one good win is against LSU in Oxford. Had we played the barn and USCe at home (instead of LSU and Bama), we'd likely won those games, or at least split.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I'd like to keep him as DC but that's probably not going to happen.
"Hey, I appreciate you getting us through this tough time, but we're going to change your job description back to what it was - lighten your load a little, bring someone else in who's been doing this a long time - but we will pay you $2M/year to do what you were doing before. Cool?"

Bruised ego or not, sign me up.

jb1020

Jun 7, 2009
I'm all for moving on, but we all have to be honest with ourselves at this point. No one was going to come in and take a bunch of G5 talent that was set to run the air raid and win more than 6 games other than Leach.

Arnett or no Arnett, we need better talent, ASAP

Reactions: #ShowOff

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
I'll take 6-6 and an entirely different looking team on both sides of the ball for the remainder of the season. We may have beaten Auburn with Will and Woody but, even if we had, there's no excuse for the defense's performance in that game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Right now, nothing. But if he can get to 6 wins and has a plan for correcting a lot of the mistakes he's made (including replacing some assistant coaches), I'd be willing to give him another year.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I know we have some posters wanting us to lose to OM and UK so Arnett will be fired, but we can win both of those games.

2. UK is coming off an emoitial loss in their "game of the year." I wouldn't be at all surprised if we beat them.

3. OM struggled mightily against Ark and the barn. They aren't near as good as most have crowned them. Their season comes down to TAMU, who has better wins than OM, and UGA. They get TAMU at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Egg Bowl is a one possession game deep in the 4th. Their one good win is against LSU in Oxford. Had we played the barn and USCe at home (instead of LSU and Bama), we'd likely won those games, or at least split.
Have you not watched our wheels come off against USCe and Auburn? We are making mediocre QBs look like Heisman candidates. Even a 3rd string Western Michigan QB. We do not have a pass rush and our secondary can't cover FCA WRs. The only reason we beat Arky is because their QB was throwing passes to the ground.
On the flip side we don't know what to do on 3rd down. We try running, hand offs, short passes and barely make it back to the line of scrimmage. We can possibly limp to 6-6 if we run into another KJ head case. Otherwise, we will end up 5-7.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
If you fire a coach after one year you better have a really good reason in the eyes of people who don't wear maroon to do it. It has to be less than 6-6 record wise.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There are a couple of things I've always wanted to see at MSU - a legit passing offense; and a real DC as coach, obviously not at the same time. My reasons? Well, to find out if a passing offense can be done at MSU for the first, and because defense has always been our calling card for the latter. We got the first - Leach - Cohen went out and took that chance, that nobody has before. Maybe we were on our way, maybe we weren't, but the Dead Ones had their way for sure. So fast forward 11 months, we have a real DC as coach, and he has now made all these changes - so we may as well see if it works out a year into the experiment.

Only if he earns it though. Right now, he hasn't. We haven't looked good in a game all year. He's got 4 more to prove something.

The problem is - I always thought a DC might work because they would keep the D strong all the time, and totally delegate the offense to a hungry OC. But so far, Arnett has let go of the D and smothered the O. He's got to stop that shlt.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014

Outside of our eventual record this year, an argument to keep him goes something like this.

He's young, motivated, hard-nosed, etc., and the players play hard for him. Was he ready to be a head coach? No. But he's already in the role and figuring it out. He's already made most of the bone-headed decisions and is learning from it. The bone-headed decisions include some of his hires, and he will have to make some changes there this off season.

Reactions: She Mate Me

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He's already made most of the bone-headed decisions and is learning from it. The bone-headed decisions include some of his hires, and he will have to make some changes there this off season.
Honestly, he doesn't even have to go this far. It's more organization than needing to fire people. I don't think Barbay is a bum or anything, Arnett just needs to let him coach. Brock is just young, and right now Arnett should uncross his arms and be the DC, and help train him.

It's really that simple.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Simply put, nothing. Between results on the field, demeanor, and recruiting, I have seen absolutely nothing that gives me the slightest optimism that this staff, top to bottom, knows what it’s doing in any phase of the game, and the SEC isn’t where you learn how to coach. If we somehow did stumble our way to 7-5, it would feel no different to me than 2007 where yeah… the record’s ok, but there still isn’t a thing about the program as a whole that passes the eye test

For the record, I was fully supportive of Arnett getting this gig, but he has made it abundantly clear that it was a mistake, and he’s not ready. Next year is going to be a disaster no matter who is coaching, so I’d like to rip the bandaid off and begin the rebuild by at least getting the right guy in place. That said, I have less than 1% confidence that Selmon will make a move
Correct response

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017

Put the pipe down sir.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Have you not watched our wheels come off against USCe and Auburn? We are making mediocre QBs look like Heisman candidates. Even a 3rd string Western Michigan QB. We do not have a pass rush and our secondary can't cover FCA WRs. The only reason we beat Arky is because their QB was throwing passes to the ground.
On the flip side we don't know what to do on 3rd down. We try running, hand offs, short passes and barely make it back to the line of scrimmage. We can possibly limp to 6-6 if we run into another KJ head case. Otherwise, we will end up 5-7.
With our starting QB, who is likely bottom half of the league, we beat Ark by 2 TDs and at least play the barn within one possession late in the game. If we would have used Wright like Mullen used Relf we'd won Ark by 2 TDs. We just need put it together, this is a young coaching staff, who has no business being at they level they are at, they should improve as the season progresses.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think he can work out but if we are going to keep him and give him that chance, he needs a better OC and he needs to take over the defense. Our defense sucks in the first half then they come out in the third and do really good. I am suspecting he's making the adjustments, but they are not being made during play of the game. The DC just not experience enough to do it. The OC is horrible. He does not know what plays to call that fits our personal. He is being out coach every game by the opposing DC. This past weekend apparently Auburn figured out our offensive signals and that's on him for not being more aware of it. How about changing those up every game or being more created with them. You have to think this isn't the first time this season. What is worse is he doesn't or doesn't know how to make adjustments. He keeps calling Jet Sweeps and Reverse plays that don't work in the SEC. He calls passes when they should be running and run when they should be passing.

Arnett's mistake was his OC and DC. Hire good ones they make you look good and hire bad ones they make you look bad. I know he wanted to change offense, but he should have made that a gradual change. He should have just promoted JR. and kept running the Air Raid this season and started a slow change.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I'd like to keep him as DC but that's probably not going to happen.
That would be a recipe for disaster. Every change the "new sheriff in town" makes would be a slap in the face of a coach on staff. There would be players choosing sides when there shouldn't be any sides. I wouldn't allow this to happen in any professional leadership position, much less in coaching.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
Arnett would need to demonstrate that he has learned on the job and has a plan for the future that will work.

As others have said, stumbling to 7-5 but looking like hot garbage really means nothing.

We would need to show obvious improvement in play across the board. Maybe that means he fires some people before season end. Maybe that means we just put together cohesive game plans and look good winning 3 or 4 teams.

I don’t expect that. This has been a cluster17 from panic hiring Arnett 2 days after announcing Leach’s passing and there is no indication that Arnett is anything more than a textbook example of the Peter Principle.

Reactions: ChinaDawgSunflower

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think he can work out but if we are going to keep him and give him that chance, he needs a better OC and he needs to take over the defense. Our defense sucks in the first half then they come out in the third and do really good. I am suspecting he's making the adjustments, but they are not being made during play of the game. The DC just not experience enough to do it. The OC is horrible. He does not know what plays to call that fits our personal. He is being out coach every game by the opposing DC. This past weekend apparently Auburn figured out our offensive signals and that's on him for not being more aware of it. How about changing those up every game or being more created with them. You have to think this isn't the first time this season. What is worse is he doesn't or doesn't know how to make adjustments. He keeps calling Jet Sweeps and Reverse plays that don't work in the SEC. He calls passes when they should be running and run when they should be passing.

Arnett's mistake was his OC and DC. Hire good ones they make you look good and hire bad ones they make you look bad. I know he wanted to change offense, but he should have made that a gradual change. He should have just promoted JR. and kept running the Air Raid this season and started a slow change.
Fans won out to Keenum. He heard the grumblings about running the ball and playing defense. So of the existing staff, he went with the guy that would do that. Arnett did not like Leach's guys, and that had to have been apparent. Bottom line, a sizable amount of fans didn't like the Air Raid, whether because it was different, or they are just dumb, or just wanted to do what we've always done - it doesn't really matter.

But now that we are here - I don't see the big difference in cutting him this year or next year, because we're going to get a coach to does the same sort of thing when we hire the next guy. Which is offense with a running QB and hopefully play good defense. That's what our fanbase wants and I don't disagree with that over the long term.

I just really wanted to see what Mike Leach would look like 5-7-9 years into this thing. Would have been a great run. Wasn't meant to be. Do I think Spurrier Jr. could have recreated what Leach did? If I'm honest, probably not, probably just as big of a risk as Arnett. I probably would have went with Spurrier though.

It is what it is now, and I'm sort of numb to it.

Last edited:

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Fans won out to Keenum. He heard the grumblings about running the ball and playing defense. So he went with the guy that would do that. Arnett did not like Leach's guys, and that had to have been apparent. Bottom line, a sizable amount of fans didn't like the Air Raid, whether because it was different, or they are just dumb, or just wanted to do what we've always done - it doesn't really matter. I obviously believe this was a mistake.

But now that we are here - I don't see the big difference in cutting him this year or next year, because we're going to get a coach to does the same sort of thing when we hire the next guy. Which is offense with a running QB and hopefully play good defense. That's what our fanbase wants and I don't disagree with that over the long term.

I just really wanted to see what Mike Leach would look like 5-7-9 years into this thing. Would have been a great run. Wasn't meant to be.

Leach wasn't going to be here 9 years. He was already eying retirement.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
I would want to keep him if we win at least 7 games, play competent defense and offense in all remaining games, and raise our recruiting ranking at least 10 spots by the end of the season. Short of doing any of these he needs to go.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Leach wasn't going to be here 9 years. He was already eying retirement.
He has at least going to be there another 3-4 years, assuming his health didn't constantly degrade. He would have produced another peak.

But either way, had Spurrier/Hollingshead/Miller stayed, I'm guessing we may have kept Braeden Locke.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I don't see our rookie AD firing our rookie head coach after 1 season. I think Arnett gets at least one more year and possibly 2. I'm not so sure the 'cigar boys' are ready to pony up the money to do so. So far none of them have dropped a big chunk of change into our NIL initiative so why think they'll pony up for a new coach? However, stranger things have happened so IF our AD pulls the trigger he had better have a sure fire replacement in the wings. No "fire Arnett and start a nation wide coach search" or anything like that. He had better have a home run hire lined up before he calls Arnett into the office to hand him his walking papers.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login