What makes you want to keep Arnett?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Man, everybody on here is way more down on Arnett than I am. My biggest beef with Arnette is that he's done a ****** job. If he gets his **** enough to get to 7-5, even if it looks messy, I would think that would be showing enough improvement that you could chalk up a lot of stuff to making some rookie mistakes and struggling to adjust. And that's ignoring the fact that just as a practical matter, we're not firing a first year coach that goes 7-5, no matter how ****** it looks.

I think that same principle applies at 6-6, although we can get to 6-6 and me still feel awful about the coaching job he has done and not feel good about his ability to bounce back next year. If he beats USM handily and we are close in the remaining 3 games and only lose 2 of them because of talent issues and not brain farts by the coaching staff, I will be ok with keeping him.

What I am expecting to happen is that somebody pulls an arkansas and manages to want to lose worse than we do, we beat USM handily, and then get beat handily by the remaining two (presumably A&M and UM). At that point I think he stays and it will probably be a bad thing.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
He has done very little this season to show he’s ready for the responsibility he has. He needs to act like he cares.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
7-5 with a team that has a sense of urgency about them.

All season long we have looked mostly confused at best or confused and unmotivated at worst. By this time in the season, I expected the new to wear off and for our team to make improvement by leaps and bounds. Instead, Auburn happened and I yet again didn’t see the second half of an MSU football game.

I have no expectation that we will beat KY or OM. I’m not crowing OM as world beaters but I expect them to have a hell of a game offensively. They already have a decent QB. Just like numerous other QBs defeating us this year, he will probably look like Joe Montana on Thanksgiving. It would be absolutely incredible for this team and coaches to prove me wrong. Please for the love of god prove me wrong.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Reasons:
1. It may be too early, need to give things a chance to work. Seldom have we seen good results 1st year in.
2.. Don't want to damage a young guys career.

BUT, we must do what we have to do.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You guys keep seriously talking about getting to 6-6 or 7-5… I want a glass of whatever you’ve been drinking. I haven’t seen anything out of this team that gives me any hope either offensively or defensively in the past month. We’ve Only played defense against Arkansas… Arkansas.

The fact that you think we can get to 6-6 or especially 7-5 is crazy.

p.s. It’s funny, that I feel this way because my friends all think I am usually the eternal optimist. I love Mississippi State but I have not seen anything to get excited about from this team since we beat Arizona.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
If he somehow gets to 7-5 - regardless of how we play - he stays.

If we get to 6-6 but look good doing it - I think he will get another year. Close losses to A&M and Ole Miss would make me want to give him another year.
Season 9 Nbc GIF by The Office

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
7 wins especially with a win over Ole Miss. I'd be astonished if that happens. Our Dawgs don't look even remotely like a 7-win SEC team but I'd gladly take it and Arnett another season. That would take a helluva coaching job the rest of the way.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I really just don't know. Jackie's last 2 years and Croom's 5 llkilled my desire for MSU football. Then, Mullen came in and reignited it for a few years. Then, after watching JoMo lose the 1st bowl game and the shitshow of his second season dampened it a good bit. Bring in Leach, and I was intrigued. This season, this staff, this team has lowered my interest level. I have that feeling that if Arnett is kept on for another season, that we will be in the doldrums again for 5-8 years. I'm hoping that he resigns after the EB. Whether he is fired or not, we are in for a rough few seasons, I believe.
He needs to win out to change my mind.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I really just don't know. Jackie's last 2 years and Croom's 5 llkilled my desire for MSU football. Then, Mullen came in and reignited it for a few years. Then, after watching JoMo lose the 1st bowl game and the shitshow of his second season dampened it a good bit. Bring in Leach, and I was intrigued. This season, this staff, this team has lowered my interest level. I have that feeling that if Arnett is kept on for another season, that we will be in the doldrums again for 5-8 years. I'm hoping that he resigns after the EB. Whether he is fired or not, we are in for a rough few seasons, I believe.
He needs to win out to change my mind.
And adding OK and TX to the schedule the next few years doesn't help either. MSU will never be a 10-2 + team consistently. We'll be lucky just to keep bouncing around at a 6-6 to an occasional 9-3 season no matter who is coach. The Group of 6 bowls presently will be our post season domain.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
"Hey, I appreciate you getting us through this tough time, but we're going to change your job description back to what it was - lighten your load a little, bring someone else in who's been doing this a long time - but we will pay you $2M/year to do what you were doing before. Cool?"

Bruised ego or not, sign me up.
He isn’t worth $2 million.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Honestly, he doesn't even have to go this far. It's more organization than needing to fire people. I don't think Barbay is a bum or anything, Arnett just needs to let him coach. Brock is just young, and right now Arnett should uncross his arms and be the DC, and help train him.

It's really that simple.
Where is Arnette interfering with the OC? He doesn’t talk on the sidelines or in his headset. What makes you think he’s getting in the way of offensive progress?

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
With our starting QB, who is likely bottom half of the league, we beat Ark by 2 TDs and at least play the barn within one possession late in the game. If we would have used Wright like Mullen used Relf we'd won Ark by 2 TDs. We just need put it together, this is a young coaching staff, who has no business being at they level they are at, they should improve as the season progresses.
Well they’ve been getting worse as the season progresses. And it will be even worse after they lose the talent they have on offense.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
What makes me want to keep Arnett?

Being a grad of State and Southern Miss and therefore a connoisseur of bad football, I can safely say that Arnett is no Ellis Johnson.

So I kind of want to see if Arnett turns out to have better skills than Joe Moorhead.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Where is Arnette interfering with the OC? He doesn’t talk on the sidelines or in his headset. What makes you think he’s getting in the way of offensive progress?
Probly the reason he thinks that is the fact the Arnept said in post game that he told him to go conservative and run clock almost costing us the game. I think that happened a couple three times

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know who our "cigar boys" are but I have a feeling they would be more like cigarette boys at most of the other SEC schools. Hats off and deep appreciation to them for what they do/have done but we just might not have the "hor$epower" to keep up anymore.
The cigar boys we do have would be big influencers at other schools also. They are doing their part. The problem is there aren’t nearly enough of them.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
The cigar boys we do have would be big influencers at other schools also. They are doing their part. The problem is there aren’t nearly enough of them.
This is the root of all our problems unfortunately. You nailed it.

patdog

May 28, 2007
And adding OK and TX to the schedule the next few years doesn't help either. MSU will never be a 10-2 + team consistently. We'll be lucky just to keep bouncing around at a 6-6 to an occasional 9-3 season no matter who is coach. The Group of 6 bowls presently will be our post season domain.
I hate to break it to you, but that’s all we ever have been & all we ever will be. Adding Okie & Tex won’t change that at all. We’ll just see less of LSU & Bama, and more of Vandy.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
If he somehow gets to 7-5 - regardless of how we play - he stays.

If we get to 6-6 but look good doing it - I think he will get another year. Close losses to A&M and Ole Miss would make me want to give him another year.
Steady improvements in all phases for the rest of the season. I'm more willing to give something of a pass on the offense because of the huge change in blocking schemes alone with our o-linemen having to "unlearn" the Air-Raid concepts and re-learn how to block with closer gaps and more scheme than individual "on an island" technique we'd been teaching since Leach's arrival.

As disappointing as the results have been under Barbay, I just don't think we really know yet if it could work if given time & the players needed to implement it. To be fair, he is working with personnel not at all accustomed to his concepts, having been so thoroughly drilled in the Air-Raid. That said, if we stick with this and it doesn't improve soon, we could be digging ourselves a very deep hole we may never recover from.

And as I've opined before, I just don't think we can evaluate the way we did prior to this becoming semi-pro ball with few restrictions on transfers, etc. No matter how much some here think our SEC treasure-chest is enough to make us competitive, it must be viewed relative to our competitors, their resources and willingness to spend from alumni.

FBS college football is now a disaster for any team unable to compete financially with most teams on their schedules, particularly with the loose transfer rules.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login