What makes you want to keep Arnett?

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
If he somehow gets to 7-5 - regardless of how we play - he stays.

If we get to 6-6 but look good doing it - I think he will get another year. Close losses to A&M and Ole Miss would make me want to give him another year.
We haven't looked good in a single game this year, with returning players all over the field. I am not sure how winning 2 or 3 more games looking good makes up for the other 6-9 looking terrible.

I like Arnett, but it doesn't seem like he is doing much coaching on the sideline or in practice apparently. I don't know what is going on, but like we said 5 weeks ago, he as a week (two days) to figure it out.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Simply put, nothing. Between results on the field, demeanor, and recruiting, I have seen absolutely nothing that gives me the slightest optimism that this staff, top to bottom, knows what it’s doing in any phase of the game, and the SEC isn’t where you learn how to coach. If we somehow did stumble our way to 7-5, it would feel no different to me than 2007 where yeah… the record’s ok, but there still isn’t a thing about the program as a whole that passes the eye test

For the record, I was fully supportive of Arnett getting this gig, but he has made it abundantly clear that it was a mistake, and he’s not ready. Next year is going to be a disaster no matter who is coaching, so I’d like to rip the bandaid off and begin the rebuild by at least getting the right guy in place. That said, I have less than 1% confidence that Selmon will make a move
I agree, nothing with the entire program passes the eye test at the moment. Can he improve this? Maybe, but based on everything I have seen to date.... that isn't probably going to happen.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008

If we get to 6-6 but look good doing it - I think he will get another year. Close losses to A&M and Ole Miss would make me want to give him another year.
Episode 4 Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I know we have some posters wanting us to lose to OM and UK so Arnett will be fired, but we can win both of those games.

1. We let points all over the field on the plains.

2. UK is coming off an emoitial loss in their "game of the year." I wouldn't be at all surprised if we beat them.

3. OM struggled mightily against Ark and the barn. They aren't near as good as most have crowned them. Their season comes down to TAMU, who has better wins than OM, and UGA. They get TAMU at home.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Egg Bowl is a one possession game deep in the 4th. Their one good win is against LSU in Oxford. Had we played the barn and USCe at home (instead of LSU and Bama), we'd likely won those games, or at least split.
Ole Miss is going to beat us by 14 pts. 31-17 or so, and the game isn't going to seem that close. 31-10 when they put in their backups.

Reactions: DerHntr

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Have you not watched our wheels come off against USCe and Auburn? We are making mediocre QBs look like Heisman candidates. Even a 3rd string Western Michigan QB. We do not have a pass rush and our secondary can't cover FCA WRs. The only reason we beat Arky is because their QB was throwing passes to the ground.
On the flip side we don't know what to do on 3rd down. We try running, hand offs, short passes and barely make it back to the line of scrimmage. We can possibly limp to 6-6 if we run into another KJ head case. Otherwise, we will end up 5-7.
Only reason we beat Ark was because KJ was hung over or he was currently drunk. That guy didn't look himself and that is canon until I hear otherwise. Dude was plastered.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
There are a couple of things I've always wanted to see at MSU - a legit passing offense; and a real DC as coach, obviously not at the same time. My reasons? Well, to find out if a passing offense can be done at MSU for the first, and because defense has always been our calling card for the latter. We got the first - Leach - Cohen went out and took that chance, that nobody has before. Maybe we were on our way, maybe we weren't, but the Dead Ones had their way for sure. So fast forward 11 months, we have a real DC as coach, and he has now made all these changes - so we may as well see if it works out a year into the experiment.

Only if he earns it though. Right now, he hasn't. We haven't looked good in a game all year. He's got 4 more to prove something.

The problem is - I always thought a DC might work because they would keep the D strong all the time, and totally delegate the offense to a hungry OC. But so far, Arnett has let go of the D and smothered the O. He's got to stop that shlt.
Arnett should have kept the offense in place. With a new OC, the offense would have morphed into a different style based on the air raid. It could have been something.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I don't see our rookie AD firing our rookie head coach after 1 season. I think Arnett gets at least one more year and possibly 2. I'm not so sure the 'cigar boys' are ready to pony up the money to do so. So far none of them have dropped a big chunk of change into our NIL initiative so why think they'll pony up for a new coach? However, stranger things have happened so IF our AD pulls the trigger he had better have a sure fire replacement in the wings. No "fire Arnett and start a nation wide coach search" or anything like that. He had better have a home run hire lined up before he calls Arnett into the office to hand him his walking papers.
I don't know who our "cigar boys" are but I have a feeling they would be more like cigarette boys at most of the other SEC schools. Hats off and deep appreciation to them for what they do/have done but we just might not have the "hor$epower" to keep up anymore.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006

We paid a coach like we are the Dollar General of the SEC, his coaching quality and team play thus far mimick that of Dollar General products - cheap and not put together well

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
It was pure luck that we beat AZ, Western Michigan and Arkansas. If it had been 10 to nothing when WM had changed QBs we woulda lost. They outscored us the rest of the game. OT at AZ even with all those turnovers. Only team we beat this year was SELU.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

7-5? Man. You need to stop leaving your coffee sitting around. Someone has dropped something in there.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
Outside of our eventual record this year, an argument to keep him goes something like this.

He's young, motivated, hard-nosed, etc., and the players play hard for him. Was he ready to be a head coach? No. But he's already in the role and figuring it out. He's already made most of the bone-headed decisions and is learning from it. The bone-headed decisions include some of his hires, and he will have to make some changes there this off season.
Wait, in which game?
As a DC, yes they would run through a wall.
As a HC, I haven't seen it yet. They played well against one of the worst teams in the country with a HC that is all but fired - Arkansas.
Other than that, I cringe watching both offense and defense. Still haven't put a whole game together, but hey, it's only week 10

ETA week 9 to 10

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I think he's getting another year, even at 5-7. Definitely if he beats Kentucky.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
I see low intensity, talent, preparation, and execution. I don't have any reason to believe those to trend positively into the next season aside from a hope that it can't get worse.

What is there to be positive about?
That pretty much sums up the season. It's week 10 and they haven't improved on anything yet. I don't see a way out with the current staff. Maybe they will turn the corner this week though

Prediction? Pain.

Jun 2, 2013
So far, nothing. Arnett was hired under terrible circumstances and was essentially thrust into the role by default like an interim coach. But the things he had going for him -- continuity with the staff and recruiting, familiarity with the players and their skillsets, proven ability to field a solid SEC defense -- have all gone to pot.

There's zero continuity on the offensive side of the ball, and the OC steering the ship has almost no track record. Yeah, losing Will has complicated Barbay's job. But it's not like Wright's an untested true freshman or walk-on. After eight games, I still don't know what we're trying to do on offense. (Though to be fair, I'm not sure all the players do, either.) Our TDs per drive (88th nationally) have already sunken close to Mullen '09 and Leach '20 levels, but Barbay doesn't have Mullen's (and certainly not Leach's) resume that I can fall back on. If it continues to get worse, what reason would I have to think that he's the guy going forward?

And the implosion of the defense, Arnett's strong suit, is hard to overstate. Right now, even after playing three of the worst offenses on our schedule in a row -- with Arkansas and Auburn being two of the worst Power 5 offenses in the country -- we're giving up touchdowns on just over 30% of our opponents' possessions. That's 91st in the nation. The only MSU defense in the past 15 years to finish the season giving up more TDs per drive was Shoop's defense in 2019, which finished 99th. (Sirmon's 2016 unit was close at 87th nationally.) Shoop (like Sirmon) didn't return the next season. And as we all know, the pass defense is historically bad -- last in the country in opposing QB completion %, 123rd in opposing QB passer rating, 98th in yards per attempt, and so on and so on. When Matt Wyatt's publicly (and forcefully) blaming the coaches for the bad defense, you know there's a serious problem.

Bottom line, I don't know what the staff is building toward, I don't know what the team's offensive and defensive identities are, and I don't think the team has shown improvement over the course of the season. (And that's something given that we've played one of the easiest schedules I can remember. LSU's defense is as bad as I've seen in the past decade, South Carolina is 2 - 6 with a mediocre offense and horrible defense, Arkansas is 2 - 6 with a mediocre defense and historically bad offense, Auburn is a 4 - 4 version of Arkansas, Western Michigan is 3 - 6 and in the bottom half of the MAC, and Southeast Louisiana is a 1 - 7 FCS team.) So right now, I can't think of any reason to retain the staff other than a complete lack of viable candidates to replace them.

Now, that could all change. Kentucky and A&M are decidedly mediocre (though A&M's defense seems legit) and USM is horrible. If we come out and look competent the rest of the way, take two of those three, and then play a decent Egg Bowl, maybe there's room to argue that the staff has figured it out. And of course if we play well and win three in a row and make the Egg Bowl a game, then the argument gets stronger.

But, man, based on what we've seen so far, I don't see that happening.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
If he goes 7-5 then I’ll tip my cap to him and will likely be very skeptical for future success…. Outside of that (even 6-6), he’s got to go. He absolutely would not be the coach right now had we not been caught without a head coach and sitting AD. If Cohen was still in charge or the current AD was in his seat already, Arnett would not be the head coach. So, given those circumstances, I refuse to acknowledge him as a normal coach that we did a search for and are committed to. No one will give a **** if we fire him after 1 year, just like no one gave a **** when we fired Joe after back to back bowl games.

jlove20

Sep 18, 2017
(Maybe obvious) —- But I’d only keep him if there are zero better coaches available and willing to step in and take over…

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think he's getting another year, even at 5-7. Definitely if he beats Kentucky.
I think so too. I think the good ole boys were a part of the group who didn't like the way Leach did things, and now they have a guy that gives them what they want. It's that simple. Keenum and Selman will not stand up to them.

Remember, this group wanted Mullen gone in 2013 too, and he went 6-6 and prevented it. If Arnett also goes 6-6, that'll give them all the ammo they need to shoot down the dissenters.

Seeing a trend? Mullen did what needed to be done. So did Leach. So did Cohen.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
How does the Leo Seal "Coaching Money" come into play? Can we use that to pay buyouts (this staffs and the HC we are buying out)?

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
If we make it to 7-5 it doesn't matter what we want. He stays. A 6-6 record with a blowout loss to OM I'm not so sure. But with all this NIL bs I've just about lost interest in college sports anyway.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We haven't looked good in a single game this year, with returning players all over the field. I am not sure how winning 2 or 3 more games looking good makes up for the other 6-9 looking terrible.

I like Arnett, but it doesn't seem like he is doing much coaching on the sideline or in practice apparently. I don't know what is going on, but like we said 5 weeks ago, he as a week (two days) to figure it out.
It's been awful. Other than the 2nd and 3rd quarters at South Carolina and the 1st quarter vs Arizona, this has looked exactly like a Sylvester Croom team. I understand giving him a chance in these last 4 games, but honestly if we fired him tomorrow with a game on Saturday, I'd be OK with that.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We could finish bad next year with arnett or with a new coach. What happens if new coach has worse record in year one than arnett in year one. I think we agree without a huge portal haul next year is rebuilding year anyway

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Seems like everybody is forgetting he hired Sexton. If he backs into a 6-6 record and our people are stupid enough to consider keeping him, the ante is going up. That coupled with the time we would waste trying to make something of this guy that he's not says get this done now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Seems like everybody is forgetting he hired Sexton. If he backs into a 6-6 record and our people are stupid enough to consider keeping him, the ante is going up. That coupled with the time we would waste trying to make something of this guy that he's not says get this done now.
If he finishes 6-6 and asks for a raise, it's time to tell him if he can get a better deal somewhere else go for it.

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Bottom line: Hope, enthusiasm, high interest. This is what sells tickets and keeps positive expectations. Do we have it now? No. Will we have hope at end of year? Don’t know. But if not, a total house cleaning needs to take place. Then, we could all have hope to say the least, IMO. And hope and enthusiasm is what we desperately need.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

7-5, plus firing Matt Brock and a commitment to take over the defense play-calling.

He also better keep our top commitments in the boat and kill it in the portal this off season.

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
If we lose out until, and then beat this year’s ole miss team, even finishing 5-7, I’d keep him. That’s how much that game means to me. Other than that extreme scenario, if he finished 5-7 or even 6-6, in both cases losing to Ole Miss, I’d fire him, without hesitation.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login