What would you advise PSU students on 10 things to experience at PSU?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
the Collegian had an article on this subject, which I thought was kind of weak (linked below). It got me wondering what you would advise incoming freshmen, or current PSU students, to make sure they experienced during their time at PSU. Please post your advice in a reply.

PSU1969A

Nov 3, 2021
Well my first would be have a beer at the Pyrst
Picture at Nittany Lion
Visit the Creamery (visit multiple times to try all the flavors)
Thon
Studying in Patee Library in the Stacks
Enjoy a spring day on the HUB lawn
Experience Winter by living in East Halls and having a class in Sackett (no riding the bus)

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
I never knew the chicken basket is thought by some to be a rite of passage.
The Williard preacher is a nut job. Avoid him.

How about getting hammered at a student tailgate?? I did that at my first game as a freshman and I never did it again. Sept 4, 1982, vs. Temple. Tailgate was where the BJC is now. The menu included sloppy joes with sauce made from a mixture of ketchup and Pepsi. Yum. I was 17 years old (yes, 17) and had no clue how to drink responsibly. I learned fast. Afterward, drinking was never on my list of party activities.

A lot of the other stuff is done by most students anyway. HUB lawn to check out the females? Who HASN'T done that??

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
Totally agree with 1,2,5,7,10 and with Arts Fest and Mt Nittany. That leaves 3 spots to fill. First I would add, swim in the outdoor pool and jump off one of the high dives if they will let you. Attend MovingOn(not a fan but many of the new generation of PSU students attend this), I wish I could add "Canning" for THON but we all know what happen there, they used to have something called "Pinning" which is similar but done behind a table and you give the person a pin or something when they donate. What ever happen to the "Mifflin Streak" is that still a thing? Or was that fun taken away from the kids as well? Or maybe camp out for a game in Nittanyvile?

Thorndike2021

Oct 12, 2021
Most of what I would say would be hard to sum up in a few word phrase.

1. Be determined to do everything that you can academically and get all that you can from your college experience. I tried to do too much, but got to do everything from learn how to operate on lab animals in the basement of the Moore Building to how to handle radioactive materials at the on-campus reactor. I had the good fortune to graduate with honors in two very different fields. Something, I was told, had only been done a couple times before. I had to take on some extra credits and my 4.33 years were a bit of a sprint, but man did I learn a ton!

I had a roommate who did the very minimum and now regrets it a lot. It's important to party a little and try out some new things (within reason) now and again. But fat, drunk and stupid is no way to take on life or school.

2. Don't commit to one girl (or guy) right away. Look at PSU as a massive smorgasbord of female delights and sample as many as you can (with their consent!). I had two buddies who met girls our freshman year and they were led around by them for the next three! Now they're both divorced, and regret that opportunity is gone by about 43 years. Meanwhile, there are a few times per month when my wife wonders what I'm sitting there smiling about.

3. Realize right now that some of the relationships you're building can last your lifetime. My roommates (well, most of them) are still my best friends 43 years later.

4. Use your physical ed credit requirements to learn some things like fly fishing, archery, and ballroom dancing (The Barrs!) that will serve you long into the future.

5. When the books are kicking your azz and the pressure feels like there's something sitting on you, take your fly rod and hike down to Spring Creek. Nothing like ripping a couple of lips to ground you and help you get back on the right track.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
But fat, drunk and stupid is no way to take on life or school.

this is the path I took but I told 1 n 2 as they headed to State, my only life regret is dicking off with the academics. I told them to treat class like they’re going to work, their salary is moms and my tuition bill. Both cumm lauded and are slaying.

so I would agree, hit the books is top 5. Tell them them to treat class like a paid job.

Achowalogan

Oct 12, 2021

1. Be determined to do everything that you can academically and get all that you can from your college experience. I tried to do too much, but got to do everything from learn how to operate on lab animals in the basement of the Moore Building to how to handle radioactive materials at the on-campus reactor. I had the good fortune to graduate with honors in two very different fields. Something, I was told, had only been done a couple times before. I had to take on some extra credits and my 4.33 years were a bit of a sprint, but man did I learn a ton!

I had a roommate who did the very minimum and now regrets it a lot. It's important to party a little and try out some new things (within reason) now and again. But fat, drunk and stupid is no way to take on life or school.

2. Don't commit to one girl (or guy) right away. Look at PSU as a massive smorgasbord of female delights and sample as many as you can (with their consent!). I had two buddies who met girls our freshman year and they were led around by them for the next three! Now they're both divorced, and regret that opportunity is gone by about 43 years. Meanwhile, there are a few times per month when my wife wonders what I'm sitting there smiling about.

3. Realize right now that some of the relationships you're building can last your lifetime. My roommates (well, most of them) are still my best friends 43 years later.

4. Use your physical ed credit requirements to learn some things like fly fishing, archery, and ballroom dancing (The Barrs!) that will serve you long into the future.

5. When the books are kicking your azz and the pressure feels like there's something sitting on you, take your fly rod and hike down to Spring Creek. Nothing like ripping a couple of lips to ground you and help you get back on the right track.
#3. Nothing like hard work and achievement in the classroom and extra curricular activities with like minded individuals to make lifelong friends. I was fortunate to meet some great folks who have enriched my life for the last 45 years.

Participating in a variety of extra curriculars , including Thon, homecoming, etc etc. - and hopefully serving in leadership capacities will develop valuable life skills. If you don’t take advantage of the extra curriculars, go to a different school with lower tuition. With the exception of a few majors, PSU is now too expensive.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

Some really good advice in this one. Especially number 5.

Reactions: Thorndike2021

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
5 pieces of advice I received from my dear, departed, Uncle Stush before I headed off to Happy Valley. Uncle Stush didn't finish high school but he was a man of great wisdom. I remember these like he just told them to me yesterday.
1. Keep your pecker in your pants.
2. Take at least one class in something you don't give a sh*tt about and then give a sh*tt.
3. Eat at least 2 foods you would never eat at home.
4. Just once, date the ugliest girl you can find and treat her like a queen.
5. Never, ever, embarrass your family.

Looking back, I think I made my Uncle Stush proud.

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
But fat, drunk and stupid is no way to take on life or school.

this is the path I took but I told 1 n 2 as they headed to State, my only life regret is dicking off with the academics. I told them to treat class like they’re going to work, their salary is moms and my tuition bill. Both cumm lauded and are slaying.

so I would agree, hit the books is top 5. Tell them them to treat class like a paid job.
That attitude also goes a long way to help structure days and manage time. Plan to put in eight hours per day for academics. Weekends off to unwind just like a normal job. Put in some extra hours when needed. OTOH, floating through the week with no plan results in a lot of unobligated time which generally gets wasted.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
I never knew the chicken basket is thought by some to be a rite of passage.
The Williard preacher is a nut job. Avoid him.

How about getting hammered at a student tailgate?? I did that at my first game as a freshman and I never did it again. Sept 4, 1982, vs. Temple. Tailgate was where the BJC is now. The menu included sloppy joes with sauce made from a mixture of ketchup and Pepsi. Yum. I was 17 years old (yes, 17) and had no clue how to drink responsibly. I learned fast. Afterward, drinking was never on my list of party activities.

A lot of the other stuff is done by most students anyway. HUB lawn to check out the females? Who HASN'T done that??
It can't possibly be the same "Willard Preacher" that was there in the 80's :eek: ...in any case yes avoid him.

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
Totally agree with 1,2,5,7,10 and with Arts Fest and Mt Nittany. That leaves 3 spots to fill. First I would add, swim in the outdoor pool and jump off one of the high dives if they will let you. Attend MovingOn(not a fan but many of the new generation of PSU students attend this), I wish I could add "Canning" for THON but we all know what happen there, they used to have something called "Pinning" which is similar but done behind a table and you give the person a pin or something when they donate. What ever happen to the "Mifflin Streak" is that still a thing? Or was that fun taken away from the kids as well? Or maybe camp out for a game in Nittanyvile?
It's interesting but I thought the Arts Festival was more of an Alumni thing? At least it was for me.🤷‍♂️

Reactions: laKavosiey-st lion

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
It's interesting but I thought the Arts Festival was more of an Alumni thing? At least it was for me.🤷‍♂️

that was the case for many years. It's become far more popular with current students. Most of the off-campus apartments charge rent through a good chunk of the summer. So upperclassmen will head up, crash in the apartments, and party during Arts Fest.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
5 pieces of advice I received from my dear, departed, Uncle Stush before I headed off to Happy Valley. Uncle Stush didn't finish high school but he was a man of great wisdom. I remember these like he just told them to me yesterday.
1. Keep your pecker in your pants.
2. Take at least one class in something you don't give a sh*tt about and then give a sh*tt.
3. Eat at least 2 foods you would never eat at home.
4. Just once, date the ugliest girl you can find and treat her like a queen.
5. Never, ever, embarrass your family.

Looking back, I think I made my Uncle Stush proud.
#4 is awesome. Good man.

Reactions: fairgambit

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
It can't possibly be the same "Willard Preacher" that was there in the 80's :eek: ...in any case yes avoid him.
This is exactly what I was thinking too. He seemed old in the 90’s when I was there and he was inappropriate.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
It became a gigantic reason for the students to go back to State College in the summer and party in the 90’s. Arts fest was the igniter for the riot in the canyon around 1997-1998.

Reactions: Bison13 and bbrown

bbrown

Nov 1, 2021
It became a gigantic reason for the students to go back to State College in the summer and party in the 90’s. Arts fest was the igniter for the riot in the canyon around 1997-1998.
I do remeber that. I was staying at a friends out by the old Auto Port when that happened.

Reactions: Bison13 and LB99

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
  • Love
Reactions: RochLion and bbrown

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
So many things to do it's hard to make a short list. Here are a couple.

Take advantage of the free speaker series on campus. I heard, among many others, Issac Asimov at Eisenhower. I heard Toby Moffett speak on election reforms and he had Steven Stills to help bring in the crowd. Great night for sure.
Take in the many free events that the school of music puts on regularly.
Don't miss a single play while on campus. They do a fantastic job.

When I was there at least one gate to beaver stadium was always left open. No longer an option, but camping on the field would be my number one if it was still a thing. It was hard to get the 50 yard line on a Friday or Saturday night unless you got there early. No girl ever said no to a camping date on the field.

Now for my must do to be a good student. Do NOT leave a class confused about the lecture. Raise your hand and get a proper explanation or ask for another explanation. Of course search engines have changed everything from the time I was in school. What may have taken me 20+ hours to master a concept now would take about 20 minutes or so.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
My lasting memory of him is him yelling “Women’s vaginas are not parking garages for men’s penises” at girls walking to class. At that point, I realized the guy had issues and no boundaries.
Yep, he would do that sort of thing between classes when he had a audience. While classes were in session you could actually hold a discussion with him.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I hooked up with the daughter of a Penn State professor my senior year. She was game for anything, and we made it a point to get together at several landmarks on campus. At each of our classrooms, the Forum, Nittany Lion Shrine, the stacks in Pattee library, Rec Hall, and Beaver Stadium. She was great.

Pics or it didn’t happen.