What's our biggest area for improvement after 6 games?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I'm literally trying to come up with one. I was thinking sacks/pressure but we are tied for 4th in the conference.

chained1

Apr 4, 2014
Kicking game, playing clean/staying focused. The A&M game was the closest thing we've had to a complete game. The other games we've had quarters where we've just gone to sleep or made stupid mistakes

Reactions: Indognito

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
100% the exp/fg kicking game. If it continues it's hard not to imagine it costing a game as it did last year (Memphis, Ark, LSU)
I don't know, as bad as the kicking game has been, I think our inability to handle mobile qbs is worse. It's extremely unlikely, but we could possibliy win against bama with our current kicking. If Young plays and is healthy, I don't think there is anyway we can beat Bama with the way we have handled mobile QBs.

I guess realistically, we mostly are what we are with mobile qbs b/c that's largely a speed issue, and kicking is where we actually can (and better) improve.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Do you have any eligibility remaining? We need you.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm literally trying to come up with one. I was thinking sacks/pressure but we are tied for 4th in the conference.
Consistent effort every week and quarter to quarter. Eliminate the offensive lulls. Make quicker defensive adjustments.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I don't know, as bad as the kicking game has been, I think our inability to handle mobile qbs is worse. It's extremely unlikely, but we could possibliy win against bama with our current kicking. If Young plays and is healthy, I don't think there is anyway we can beat Bama with the way we have handled mobile QBs.

I guess realistically, we mostly are what we are with mobile qbs b/c that's largely a speed issue, and kicking is where we actually can (and better) improve.
We are what we are personnel-wise, but seems like we could still use a contain rush in certain situations when you know the QB is likely to run. That was killing me during the LSU game... you had to assume Daniels was going to break and run, yet we kept rushing hard straight up field with basically our heads down.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
We are what we are personnel-wise, but seems like we could still use a contain rush in certain situations when you know the QB is likely to run. That was killing me during the LSU game... you had to assume Daniels was going to break and run, yet we kept rushing hard straight up field with basically our heads down.
We definitely don't help ourselves with scheme, but there were several times against LSU where I felt like we were in the right positions but just too slow to make the tackle.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We still drop more passes than I’m comfortable with. It hasn’t hurt us the last two weeks but definitely did in Baton Rouge.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Kicking game.

Second to me would be mobile qb containment lucky for us really only guy left that scares me is Bryce Young.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Our pass coverage scares me. Other than Forbes and occasionally Richardson, we have issues staying with or picking up receivers. Too many wide open players to my liking.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
Keeping contain on running quarterbacks and avoiding busted coverages in the secondary. The big plays we give up on defense are our biggest weakness.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Keeping contain on running quarterbacks and avoiding busted coverages in the secondary. The big plays we give up on defense are our biggest weakness.
At the end of the day - I can't complain about less than 20 points scored on our defense. Outside of LSU - the defense has been fine. And versus LSU _I think it was more of our offense that caused the problems for our defense. We couldn't sustain a drive in the 2nd half and the D was gassed.

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
At the end of the day - I can't complain about less than 20 points scored on our defense. Outside of LSU - the defense has been fine. And versus LSU _I think it was more of our offense that caused the problems for our defense. We couldn't sustain a drive in the 2nd half and the D was gassed.
At one point near the end of the game, Arkansas almost matched our offensive yardage being nearly at 500 yards. I realize that doesn't translate to points, but it increases the shots at points if an offense is more competent like an Alabama or Georgia.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Kicking game, playing clean/staying focused. The A&M game was the closest thing we've had to a complete game. The other games we've had quarters where we've just gone to sleep or made stupid mistakes
We had like 130 yards or more of penalties v A&M

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
The big yardage from extended plays will be a huge problem against Bama because that’s how they score. Aside from that the kicking game could be killer in a close matchup against several remaining opponents.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I know this goes against what Leach does, but I wish we would milk the clock with the lead. As Saturday's game was winding down we were consistently snapping the ball 15 seconds or more on the clock. This also bit us a little at the end of the first half.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Kicking.

And kicking.

Our D gives up a lot of big plays, and our pass rushers keep over running the QB leaving a wide open field.

I'm pretty sure we can add to this list after the Alabama game.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Gotta stop the dropped balls and stupid penalties. They seem to kill us before half every game.
Obviously the kicking sucks too.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know this goes against what Leach does, but I wish we would milk the clock with the lead. As Saturday's game was winding down we were consistently snapping the ball 15 seconds or more on the clock. This also bit us a little at the end of the first half.
If you're not in position to more or less end the game with a clock eating drive, I think you're better off letting them play. If you get them to the line of scrimmage and get in the play you want and sit there, that's not great for your OL. If you burn some time before getting to the LOS, then you run the risk of not having time to get into the play you want if the defense surprises you. But maybe more importantly, I think it does something mentally to players if they start milking the clock midway through the second half. But there will be a time that it bites us.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Running QBs are a real problem for us right now. Gotta find a way to contain better
And not only that, but Saturday’s game showed multiple occasions of our secondary struggling to decide whether to stay with a receiver or play the run, and we’ve just got to be crisper than that. I’m not saying there’s some magic formula to being perfect here, but the one thing you can’t do is be indecisive because that’s when you end up being bad and both.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Kicking was too obvious and I can't believe I forgot that.
If the kicking game does not get more spot on… it’s going to probably cost us a game.

Special teams as a whole cost the LSU game. They were a 16 point swing, at least. 2 XP misses… the called back long return inside LSU’s 20, and the muffed punt giving them the ball inside our 20.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If you're not in position to more or less end the game with a clock eating drive, I think you're better off letting them play. If you get them to the line of scrimmage and get in the play you want and sit there, that's not great for your OL. If you burn some time before getting to the LOS, then you run the risk of not having time to get into the play you want if the defense surprises you. But maybe more importantly, I think it does something mentally to players if they start milking the clock midway through the second half. But there will be a time that it bites us.
Not midway through the second half, I'm referring to a couple minutes left, like game ending drives. I fully realize this is not what Leach does and he's not going to change.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
If the kicking game does not get more spot on… it’s going to probably cost us a game.

Special teams as a whole cost the LSU game. They were a 16 point swing, at least. 2 XP misses… the called back long return inside LSU’s 20, and the muffed punt giving them the ball inside our 20.
the penalty that got the return called back, IIRC, it was behind the play and had no bearing on the play, those are usually not called right?

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
At one point near the end of the game, Arkansas almost matched our offensive yardage being nearly at 500 yards. I realize that doesn't translate to points, but it increases the shots at points if an offense is more competent like an Alabama or Georgia.
To be fair, our starting field position was much closer to the end zone than theirs. They had a couple big plays (which is what I think we need to improve the most) that accounted for a lot of that yardage.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

My opinion:

When rushing an elusive QB (e.g., Bryce Young), the rusher approaching the QB should always break down and get ready for a juke. Otherwise, if the rusher continues at full speed, then he will most likely get juked and whiff on the sack/tackle as he flies past the QB. This will give the QB extra time to survey the field for an open receiver.

When the rusher gets past the blocker and forces the QB to look at him and move to avoid him, he has already positively affected the play (e.g., by disrupting the timing of the route and/or the pass). At that point, the rusher should control his speed towards the QB and be sure to keep pressuring the QB. As a rusher, do not let an elusive QB get past you running upfield with speed.

Easier said than done, I know . . . especially when the rusher is a defensive lineman.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login