Nov 27, 2008
Net - 38th
Rpi - 43rd
Kenpom - 40th

We're in good shape to make the tourney

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
According to so many posts on here, you are wrong.
- Howland retired years ago and is going thru the motions.
- The team plays with no effort.
- We should be undefeated.
- It would be good if we lose out so Howland can be fired sooner.
- The offense is from the early 90s.

I would have loved to get a W against Minnesota or Colorado State since both were clearly winnable games, but even with both in the L column the team is still tracking to play in mid-late March.
Conference play will be interesting. UK is good but not incredible, Arkansas is solid, Bama seems to be either really good or unimpressive on a given day, and the trio of Auburn plus LSU and UT make for a tough top half of the conference.
At least Vandy is still relatively unimpressive.

Last edited:

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
0-1 against Q1 and 1-2 against Q2. Can’t just beat the bottom of the league in conference, will need several wins against good teams.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Net - 38th
Rpi - 43rd
Kenpom - 40th

Why is it, with these awesome numbers, we are considered the last one out on the board right now then? I will tell you why, our wins are not that impressive. In our games we look bad, even in the games we won. We have no offensive attack strategy to speak of, we are poor at moving the ball, and we do not do well when the other team guards us up the floor. On defense, we give up wide open looks and rotate slowly.

So, 38-43 in all the numbers you mentioned, but still are the last one out. If there were a mid major with our numbers, they would solidly be in the tourney.

Here is the fact of the matter, we need to reach another gear on offense and defense. Period. Because of our poor showing in the non-conference, we have once again painted us into a "cannot lose another game we shouldn't and we need to go get a couple of games we should lose" mode for the rest of our conference schedule. I believe this same scenario has happened 3 times with Howland. Blew it in non-conference and left no room for the inevitable mistake we are going to make during the conference schedule.

This team should be a 3-5 seed, no doubt about it. They are playing like an NIT team though.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Haven't we picked up 2 wins since lunardi's last update? We've jumped around 10-12 spots in NET also

patdog

May 28, 2007
Check back at the end of the season. These rankings are meaningless. Of the 3, Kenpom is easily the most accurate and it's pretty horrible. One year, after picking my bracket for my NCAA tournament pool, I decided to just go strictly with Kenpom rankings. I finished last in the pool. Made the mistake of going back and scoring my original bracket. I would have won the pool.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Check back at the end of the season. These rankings are meaningless. Of the 3, Kenpom is easily the most accurate and it's pretty horrible. One year, after picking my bracket for my NCAA tournament pool, I decided to just go strictly with Kenpom rankings. I finished last in the pool. Made the mistake of going back and scoring my original bracket. I would have won the pool.

Maybe, but if we were 100th in the above, most everyone here would bring it up every hour.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Good to see. But thats phenomenal. We have 2 wins over teams with a winning record so its puzzling we are that high. Gonna have to put up some quad 1 wins in conference play because I am not sure Richmond can stay in the top 100 which is our only quad 2 and our only Top 100 NET win.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, then they'd clearly be more reliable. **

Seriously, this team may make the tournament or it may be like just about every other Howland team we've had. A lot of us have just been down this path of starting to get invested and excited about a Howland team only to be let down by inexplicable losses and uninspiring wins on the way to another missed tournament too many times to get excited about 1 Q2 win in non-conference play.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Why do you expect them to fall? There's 5 Atlantic teams in the top 100.

I expect Furman to improve

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I did not say I expected them to fall. I said I am not sure they can stay in the top 100. They are 8-4. Just not sure how good they are and they are already teetering on falling out. But then again the NET is not very transparent so its hard to tell what will happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
0-1 against Q1 and 1-2 against Q2. Can’t just beat the bottom of the league in conference, will need several wins against good teams.

I just see the schedule setting up perfectly for 9-9, MAYBE 10-8 and that's not good enough. We have a shot at starting 4-0, but beating Mississippi at their place is not a given anymore. However, there is a stretch in early February that will probably send this team under .500. @ Arkansas, home against TN and then road games @ LSU @ Bama. Absolutely can not slip up and lose to Georgia or Vandy and really need to sweep both games with South Carolina and Mizzou.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
Net - 38th
Rpi - 43rd
Kenpom - 40th

My English teacher mother would reply to this “Where we’re at? Maybe somewhere between the A and the T”? Funny how that stuff sticks with you for years and years.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
According to so many posts on here, you are wrong.
I was one that after losing to CSU thought we were in big trouble. I have no idea how our NET rating is so high, but it is what it is, so I was wrong. We're in a good position.

We still need some big wins, but there are plenty of opportunities to get them.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Furman would have to improve by 41 spots for that to go from Q3 to Q2. That's not happening with a SoCon schedule.

I'm not a NET analyst at all, but I would guess the formula somehow has some nuance. I.e. beating the #29 net team at home isn't as beneficial as beating the #3 net team at home even though both are quad 1 wins. I could be wrong but I would this is the case.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I'm not a NET analyst at all, but I would guess the formula somehow has some nuance. I.e. beating the #29 net team at home isn't as beneficial as beating the #3 net team at home even though both are quad 1 wins. I could be wrong but I would this is the case.
For sure. Furman improving would improve our NET rating. 8dog was talking about Quadrants, though (specifically the possibility of Richmond moving down a Quadrant), so I assumed you were, too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login