Where would you like to live?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I may regret saying this

Because it’s already gotten crazy crowded in the last 15 years… but Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC is an awesome place. I’d love to live there.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Serious question... If you wash your *** in those hot springs in Pagosa, does your butthole smell better or worse? I love Pagosa Springs and went there or Taos every winter for a decade, but man those springs smell like a cowboy's *** crack after a month on the trail.

We would rent this place right on the San Juan for Thanksgiving or Christmas and it was awesome. Fell in love with fly fishing there. Considered moving there, but the flights in and out of Durango are limited and its a pretty nasty haul there in from Pagosa in the winter. But if you don't need to travel, Pagosa Springs is a mighty fine choice.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I'd like to be on the other side. Somewhere between Jupiter and Vero.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I have only passed through myself recently, but spent a few nights there 20 years ago. Seems like a decent little town, but for me it would be all about the location.

Geographically its just close enough to everything to something amazing for the weekend, every weekend. It's like living in Starkville, but instead of Memphis, Tupelo, Jackson, Birmingham, and Meridian being within a few hours. You get Big Sky, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, and Park City for skiing. Yellowstone, the Tetons, and Craters of The Moon NPs. Plus arguably the best fly fishing in the country all close enough for a day trip.

View attachment 24461

For you fly fishing buffs, if you haven't seen "The Rocky Mountain Fly Highway" find it on a Amazon or YouTube. It's a 45 minute documentary about all of the blue ribbon fly fishing rivers along US 20 across Idaho from Yellowstone NP to the Oregon border. Narrated by Tom Skerritt. It's a can't miss watch just for his voice and the beauty of these rivers. Check out what it looks like fishing from the Fall River at Cave Falls near Yellowstone.

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
I live in a Raleigh, NC suburb. If you don't mind Yankees all around you, it's a good place to live. Atlantic ocean to the east about 120 miles away and mountains about 170 miles to the west.

do you have an opinion on Durham, NC?

was21

May 29, 2007
Close enough to Denver but not too far away...somewhat more laid back.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I like living exactly where I am. I'm retired and stayed put because I like this place.

If I absolutely had to move, my second choice would be the Nashville area.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
South Florida… no doubt about it. Although I would want to have a place where I could do some deer hunting.

Tom brady is currently building a mansion on Indian creek island in Miami. I’d probably pick there. If I were not a billionaire in this fantasy, I guess somewhere like coral gables would work.

Raiderdawg.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
If money was no object, I would be in one of the following:

Astoria, Oregon
Banner Elk, NC
Burlington, VT
Sedona, AZ
Lake Placid, NY

I will probably end up where I grew up, which is on the Tennessee River north of Chattanooga.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Love fairhope. Wife is from Baldwin county. We got married there. Always said I wanted to move back before or after we retire.

If could live anywhere, would move anywhere from Baldwin County AL across the Florida Panhandle.

Central Florida would be nice but it's way too expensive now.

Maybe along the gulf side of Florida.

I could do my job just about anywhere if they would let me. Working on finding one that will.

Last edited:

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Just going to point out that Bend, OR is probably off the table for this discussion. That place is expensive as 17 now. Just ran a quick Zillow search and of the 272 properties for sale currently, 4 are under $500k.

The mountain west has jumped the shark on pricing over the last 12 months. Places that still have some affordability out here would include Central Washington (Kennewick for example), Eastern Montana (Billings), Western South Dakota (Rapid City), Eastern Idaho (Idaho Falls), and the Western Slope of CO (Grand Junction.)

I'm already planting the seed with my wife on Idaho Falls in case we decide to cash out in the next few years. Airport has the following non stops daily:

6-Denver
5-SLC
2-DFW
2-PHX
1-SEA
1-SNA (Los Angeles Area)

3 hour drive to SLC, Big Sky, and Sun Valley for skiing. 2 hours or less to Yellowstone NP, Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons NP, and the best fly fishing in the world (Silver Creek, The Madison, South Fork of The Snake, The Yellowstone River, and Henry's Fork.) Plenty of stuff to do locally as well.

And in Idaho Falls you get more than twice the house as Bend at this point. So if I hadn't already made my jump and gotten in early, I think Idaho Falls would be real interesting.

Don't want to leave my current spot by any means, but if I did, Eastern Idaho is real interesting from a cost of living and outdoor adventures standpoint.

My wife's aunt and uncle lived in Idaho Falls for several years. It would definitely be in my top 3 for relocation destinations. We went during the summer a couple of times and the highest temperature we ever saw was 84 degrees. Winters could be a ***** though.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I would just like a nice house on 1/2 to 2 acres of land here in Central Texas with a garden, a few chickens, some goats and dogs for the wife to spoil, and spot with some decent shade.

If I suddenly got rich it would just be a bit bigger with more critters.

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
Texas Hill Country is choice #1. Would spend the summer in Boise if I could afford it. If only one abode is the limit though, I’m going to the hill country - Marble Falls maybe or near Canyon Lake

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Spent a good amount of time in Idaho falls in my teens. I loved that part of Idaho. The lava rock area out from there is really cool. Plus you have a Great view of the Tetons. Lots of small towns around there like rexburg and st Anthony or go north into Montana to Dillon.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Been a bunch of places and have thought I'd enjoy living a bunch of places. There a few out west and a few down south. If it came down to it, I'd say Travlers Rest, SC or Chattanooga. Only draw back is they're both in the Eastern Time Zone.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
In between ATL and Blue Ridge isn't that expensive. Get north of Woodstock/Canton and the prices are very palatable.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I love where I live.
A rural part of the MS coast where I feel like I'm back home in the country, but I'm 15 minutes away from catching redfish and speckled trout. About to build a forever home on our property with a pond and plenty of land where I have privacy.
Now, if I had any choice to live anywhere in the country when I retire, it would be the Florida Keys. Such an incredible place. Not Key West, but somewhere between Marathon and there. With my wife's health issues, we've talked about doing this before we decided to build. If I could have gotten a coaching gig at Coral Shores HS I'd be yucking it up with Leach every offseason.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I like Durham but I'm a bit biased since I have family who went to and graduated from Duke as well as living there.

The Carolinas aren't at the top of my list of places I'd want to live but they are up there. I've explored those states a few times and there are a lot of options.

If I didn't have to worry about money, I'd live in Europe.

Ireland is one of my favorite places and I'd likely choose to live somewhere around Galway.

Spain has awesome food but Madrid and Barcelona are a bit expensive. Granada though is intriguing.

I've heard great things about Portugal but I'd like to visit it first. Costa Rica and Panama are better economic choices but I'd like to visit those countries first too.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
What county on the coast? We've been looking at land on ms coast over to Tallahassee to possibly buy and build for retirement home. Long stretch to look but we like different aspects of the different places along the northern gulf. MS seems to much cheaper but areas in AL and FL have better water and beaches in my opinion. They also have more money. MS, LA coast has the better food and fishing. Having some place up river on the bay would be nice inland to put in the boat and be able to head out anytime

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
I like Durham but I'm a bit biased since I have family who went to and graduated from Duke as well as living there.

The Carolinas aren't at the top of my list of places I'd want to live but they are up there. I've explored those states a few times and there are a lot of options.

If I didn't have to worry about money, I'd live in Europe.

Ireland is one of my favorite places and I'd likely choose to live somewhere around Galway.

Spain has awesome food but Madrid and Barcelona are a bit expensive. Granada though is intriguing.

I've heard great things about Portugal but I'd like to visit it first. Costa Rica and Panama are better economic choices but I'd like to visit those countries first too.

what do you like about Durham? thinking of moving there.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Even Marietta isn’t too bad. But be warned the further north you get: Cobb has a setup that makes it really hard to get housing if you’re on the sex offender list, so there’s a ton of people who head up to Gilmer County (36.5/10k vs 8.25/10k in Cobb)

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Hancock County, north of the Kiln city limits. Taxes are much cheaper in Hancock compared to the rest of the coast. It's a tough adjustment when I need to go to the grocery store and Walmart is 20 minutes away or a grocery store is 15, but the privacy and convenience to the water is worth it. Plus, we are not in a flood area and don't typically receive the storm damage compared to the waterfront areas. It's quiet, low crime, and there are several good schools in the area. I taught at a top 5, A rated school for the previous several years and accepted a job at a "lower-rated" school this past year. Even though it's not considered an academic powerhouse, it's still one of the better schools in the state and you find that with most schools in the area if you have kids.
We're 30 minutes from Gulfport, 30 from Slidell, an hour from New Orleans, close enough to make day trips to Orange Beach. Great food, great nightlife, greeeeeaaaaat fishing.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The Research Triangle area is nice.

Bear in mind, I'm biased because of a big part of my liking the area is because of family.

In addition to that...

In Durham, I like the American Tobacco campus. The Durham Bulls play right by there and it's a nice venue.

I like Fullsteam Brewery and The Pit is a good barbecue joint-- I'd like to go to their place in Raleigh though and that's a place I'd like to explore a lot more.

The Duke campus is gorgeous. I've attended a wedding at the chapel and at Duke Gardens.

I love flying direct to RDU from New Orleans.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro are also nice.

I like going to Saxapahaw too. I want to go to a show at the Haw River Ballroom.

There's a lot to do and explore.

If I were wanting to live in North Carolina though, I'd likely look at the Piedmont Triad area first (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) if only because it's a central location.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Anywhere near the coast in Mexico. Need good health care and a naraly wave dude. People are coming in from Mexico so I'm about ready to trade with them.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I met a guy that worked in construction for 30 years and for the last 10 years he has worked as a home inspector in Idaho and Hawaii. He has a home in the mountains and one in Maui. Splits his time and VRBO's the other house out when he's away. Said he breaks even or makes a little on the vacation rentals to where both homes don't cost him anything. Early 60's age and has straight up hacked retirement. Inspects 4 homes a week max at $400-$600 a pop. Surfs, skis, plays golf, fishes and ultimately lives a better life than anyone could imagine.

Legend. This is how the working man hacks life. You could substitute the gulf coast and smokies and prolly be damn near as happy.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
My in-laws live over by you in diamondhead. Used to be in gulf shores. Didn't want to spend the money to upgrade their house and wanted to live on a golf course. The houses in Baldwin county on golf courses are expensive. My wife's grandparents live in craft farms. I would love it if we were handed down their place some day. In-laws weren't so lucky so they decided to settle in diamondhead.

I like Hancock county though but it's too far of a drive to New Orleans. We live in St Tammany parish.good dry land here is high commodity and expensive. Closer to retirement we want a nice piece of land with a couple of acres and a house if we can grab it along the coast. However if I can switch to a fully remote job rather than only part time remote and not having to commute any more at all we will go ahead and start that process before retirement.

Ingomardawg

Oct 1, 2018
Several have mentioned having two places. Mine would be my old condo in Evergreen CO from Memorial Day to Thanksgiving and then a condo in Zihuatenejo MX from Thanksgiving to Memorial Day. Until I win the lottery, I will enjoy Tupelo.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login