Where would you like to live?

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
My stepson lives in Lawrence, and my cousin is in Portland. Both awesome places to live. I just want to live where summer is bearable, and dumb asses are minimal. Where is that? Maine? Park City, Utah?

Edited to add that with unlimited money, San Diego may be my go to. Love that town!

Last edited:

was21

May 29, 2007
I visited the Coors brewery in Golden...pretty cool..then I understand it was demolished? Ate at a restaurant there where they served buffalo burgers.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I love eastern Washington, northern Idaho and western Montana. If I have to leave, it’d probably be for North Carolina, but I don’t want to
I spent A BRIEF time in Spokane and the Columbia Valley recently. I didn't care for Spokane, but the Columbia Valley!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
My stepson lives in Lawrence, and my cousin is in Portland. Both awesome places to live. I just want to live where summer is bearable, and dumb asses are minimal. Where is that? Maine? Park City, Utah?

Edited to add that with unlimited money, San Diego may be my go to. Love that town!
You are out of luck then. I've never been to a place without a copious supply of dumb asses. I've traveled quite a lot over the years. I've been to San Diego.

Last edited:

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Texas hill country west/southwest of Austin would be my ideal place for a “second home”. That’ll only happen if I win the lottery or inherit from a wealthy family member-none of whom exist. I was a big fan of the whole “going to the beach” thing when the spouse and I were younger and the kids hadn’t left the nest. I’m actually perfectly fine where I am now on the old home place that’s been in my family since 1830. 420 acres with excellent hunting and 5 ponds, 2 of which are over 5 acres. If the wife wants to go to the city we can be in New Orleans in about an hour. Yeah, New Orleans is not a great place but they have great restaurants and concert venues, etc. There are much better places to live in these United States of America, but my roots run so deep here that I could never leave again. We’ve lived in Texas and Colorado over the years, but for me, the old “there’s no place like home” is definitely true. If I didn’t have roots here, I would feel differently

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Just going to throw this one out there for all of you who picked a mountain destination. It snowed at my house today. Didn't stick, but there were several good snow showers. My kids first baseball practice was cancelled on May 9th because the snow did stick. Here's what my weather station was reading this afternoon at 1:45ish.

View attachment 24465

The weather is wild, but it so worth it.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I met a guy that worked in construction for 30 years and for the last 10 years he has worked as a home inspector in Idaho and Hawaii. He has a home in the mountains and one in Maui. Splits his time and VRBO's the other house out when he's away. Said he breaks even or makes a little on the vacation rentals to where both homes don't cost him anything. Early 60's age and has straight up hacked retirement. Inspects 4 homes a week max at $400-$600 a pop. Surfs, skis, plays golf, fishes and ultimately lives a better life than anyone could imagine.

Legend. This is how the working man hacks life. You could substitute the gulf coast and smokies and prolly be damn near as happy.

That's smart. Only way to be smarter is to figure out how not to work, make money, and do that

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Just going to throw this one out there for all of you who picked a mountain destination. It snowed at my house today. Didn't stick, but there were several good snow showers. My kids first baseball practice was cancelled on May 9th because the snow did stick. Here's what my weather station was reading this afternoon at 1:45ish.

View attachment 24465

The weather is wild, but it so worth it.
Yup. 17 that. I could live my entire life without seeing a temperature below 70°. That’s just me. And I know this isn’t directly responding to the source but GLFR, 17 you and you high and mighty ********. I’m sorry you live in the misery that is Iowa, but saying people can’t have their dream because of your predetermined 1% ******** is absurd. There are houses north of Holetown in Mullins that could be mine if I didn’t have to worry about my daughter and her friends.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'll explore the negative space in the U.S. instead: I *won't* live in the following:

1) West Coast states. (CA, OR, WA) - politics and extreme weather/environmental condiitions

2) Utah - no diversity and the climate sucks

3) The Northeast - (PA, NY, NJ, and the "New England" states) - Politically idiotic, people have no manners, and the climate sucks

4) Hawai'i & Alaska (touristy in the former; too cold in the latter)

5) The majority of metro areas not in the aforementioned states

6) Atlanta - The poor roads and traffic are Satan's hell on Earth

In short, I've always been pretty content with the geography of where I've lived in the times of my life that I've been there, and that includes Mississippi (which I still love dearly despite its flaws)

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
If I could live anywhere I wanted, it would be Starkville. I fought to move back, but the wife wanted to live in Tupelo, so we compromised and moved to Tupelo. Then, when we moved from there, we moved to Saltillo. I still love Starkville.

I'm a homebody who just likes going to basketball and baseball games and staying at home. The cost of living is low, so you can get a fairly nice house for a lot lower than most other places. If I wanted to go some of the other places mentioned in this thread, well, that's what vacation is for.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Love San Diego. Had my chance to live there snd LA but turned both down. Cost of living is way too expensive. And I don't agree with a lot of the controlling policies.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
McDawg is my parallel universe self. I don't mind the cold at all... It's a permanent cure for swamp ***.

I was miserable in Texas and didn't realize it until we left. It was so 17ing hot and those storms would come out of nowhere. We talked about it for a while, but August 16th 2020 was the day we decided to pull the trigger to make like Busch and head for the mountains. I remember it vividly.

The pool felt like a 25k gallon bucket of piss it was so warm. I was considering adding a chiller to the damn thing for the next summer because by August the water temp was in the mid 90's all of the time. I was sitting on my back porch sweating like a tight rope walker with a calf cramp and took this photo of my weather station with the old 114° heat index at 4pm.

View attachment 24470

I left 2 hours later to pick up Panda Express and a nasty storm came through with 60+ mph winds and forced me into a parking garage. Here's a gif from a video I shot at 6:34 pm that day from the parking garage.

View attachment 24471

Got home and there were limbs everywhere, the pool was full of more **** than you can imagine, and the power was out. The house was hotter than hell from all of the day time heating and the power didn't get cut on until the next evening. Spent 3 days sweating my *** off cleaning up the mess from that storm.

The year before we had $100k in hail damage as it busted out the skylights and water came in the house. That same year we had 6" of rain in an hour and a flash flood came through and washed all my new sod away and dropped 3" of mud in the pool I was building 2 weeks after we plastered it. Hell, the year after I left the big freeze hit TX and it got down to -3° causing the pool pump to explode from ice and a water line busted behind the washer flooding the house. Plus the neighborhood was going to through rolling blackouts for a week and forced air furnaces don't work without power.

My pool after the flashflood and 3 weeks before we were supposed to be done with construction.

View attachment 24472

The cold is easy when you know it's coming and are prepared, just throw on another layer. But those 17ing storms and the heat in the south are a nightmare man. I swear I have PTSD from that ****. I'd try the beach, but then the hurricanes would find me.

Last edited:

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
Mountain Home, Arkansas. Between Bull Shoals Reservoir and Norfork Reservoir and just above the White River and the Norfork River. Close to Buffalo National River. Nice drive to Mountain View, Arkansas and Branson, MO. Nice Walmart there and three or four Grocery Stores. Only bass (plural) I ever caught over ten pounds came from Norfrok and Bull Shoals. Wite River is home to seven or eight past world record trout. Gaston's Trout Resort is there. Only bad thing is lots of Chicago and Indiana retired folk live in Mt. Home.

To honor another thread here, they have a nice Taco Bell. Also a beer joint called The Hog Trough. IT has good cold beer, BBQ, and a pool table.

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
What makes you have to be so close to New Orleans? Work? An hour drive is a bit much, especially with never knowing how traffic will be. I have a 20 minute drive to work now and I enjoy it. It allows me time to decompress the day and during the fall I can think about practice, what I need to do tomorrow for drils, etc. Hancock is a perfect spot to me. You can live in the sticks with the rednecks, you can live with the retirement community in Dhead, or you can live the beach life. I love my rednecks.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
When my kids get to college (maybe a few years in) I plan on moving to the Caribbean. Maybe USVI or the Bahamas.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I believe you are correct. I love bad weather. I get excited when small hurricanes are headed towards us. I love sitting outside when a wall cloud starts rolling in. I don’t play golf if it’s less than 65° unless I’m getting paid to do it. I don’t get on a boat if it’s less than 75. I played golf a couple of years ago with some friends and it was in Pensacola and it was 97 and full sun. They (10-15 years younger than me) were about to pass out I wanted to play another 18. I don’t like murderous heat but it rarely gets above 95 here because we are surrounded by water. I pick on people around here that complain about the heat. Gulf Breeze doesn’t get that hot. Memphis, Houston, Columbia SC, Vicksburg, San Antonio, that’s hot.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
The coastal breeze certainly helps. I think my internal thermometer broke the summer of 2011. Texas melted that year. 90+ days 100 degrees or higher in Austin. I remember playing a round of golf and the sweat got in my eyes so when I went wipe my face with my golf towel, the little brass ring you hang from the bag had been in the direct sunlight and it burned the **** out my eyelid and it hurt every time I blinked for a week.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Texas hill country west/southwest of Austin would be my ideal place for a “second home”. That’ll only happen if I win the lottery or inherit from a wealthy family member-none of whom exist. I was a big fan of the whole “going to the beach” thing when the spouse and I were younger and the kids hadn’t left the nest. I’m actually perfectly fine where I am now on the old home place that’s been in my family since 1830. 420 acres with excellent hunting and 5 ponds, 2 of which are over 5 acres. If the wife wants to go to the city we can be in New Orleans in about an hour. Yeah, New Orleans is not a great place but they have great restaurants and concert venues, etc. There are much better places to live in these United States of America, but my roots run so deep here that I could never leave again. We’ve lived in Texas and Colorado over the years, but for me, the old “there’s no place like home” is definitely true. If I didn’t have roots here, I would feel differently

Either of us would need a lottery to get something of any size in the Hill Country and you need live water or one helluva set of wells down to an aquifer. During the last extreme drought we had here, I remember truck after truck coming in from the Hill Country to fill up with big water containers and take back to their place in the hill country. South Central Texas Weather is best described as Long sustain drops interrupted occasionally by flash floods

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The coastal breeze certainly helps. I think my internal thermometer broke the summer of 2011. Texas melted that year. 90+ days 100 degrees or higher in Austin. I remember playing a round of golf and the sweat got in my eyes so when I went wipe my face with my golf towel, the little brass ring you hang from the bag had been in the direct sunlight and it burned the **** out my eyelid and it hurt every time I blinked for a week.

2011 was unGodly hot here in Austin. I was doing some consulting work for a group downtown and can remember vividly driving back home on the Mopac with my car temperature hitting 113°. I hope it's a long time before we have another heat wave like that year was but you never know. That's also one of the reasons why I moved further north from town on the edge of the hills and less concrete... for now.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
2011 was unGodly hot here in Austin. I was doing some consulting work for a group downtown and can remember vividly driving back home on the Mopac with my car temperature hitting 113°. I hope it's a long time before we have another heat wave like that year was but you never know. That's also one of the reasons why I moved further north from town on the edge of the hills and less concrete... for now.

I saw your post on wanting a little more room to breathe. I think you have mentioned being in the CP/Lndr area... You could probably cash out from that booming area and go snag a nice spread in Elgin or Bastrop for the same price or less, if you don't mind leaving the hill country for the farm country. If you like the hills and distance from the city isn't a concern, there are usually some good deals around Llano and Blufton near Lake Buchanan.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I wouldn’t live in Seattle, but Eastern WA is pretty awesome. No state income tax, but you’re on the border with Idaho in case stuff gets weird with COVID restrictions. Rarely gets below 20. Has been a chilly spring though

forestdepth

Feb 20, 2018
Been thinking a lot about this but not ready to do serious research yet. I've got my 25 years with the state but my wife has about 5 more years. We also have a blended family with 2 high school juniors. We both started over from post 40 divorces so we have nothing keeping us in the area after the kids graduate.

I think I would really like to try out Chattanooga or maybe further east in TN or possibly NC. Lately though I have also thought I may not be unhappy trying out life on the coast, whether that be MS or AL. Don't think I want to mess with Florida.

My wife's dream would be to end up somewhere in Colorado, but not sure that will be fiscally possible.

I’m in Chattanooga. You’re welcome to come stay with me and see what you think.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I saw your post on wanting a little more room to breathe. I think you have mentioned being in the CP/Lndr area... You could probably cash out from that booming area and go snag a nice spread in Elgin or Bastrop for the same price or less, if you don't mind leaving the hill country for the farm country. If you like the hills and distance from the city isn't a concern, there are usually some good deals around Llano and Blufton near Lake Buchanan.

We are looking at that after an unexpected profit of buying home in November 2020 but I am waiting to see how some other things shake out first. I like both but I gotta sell the wife on further out. Not Elgin though, we looked there a couple of years ago. Maybe closer to Taylor.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah I have to be in New Orleans for work 3 days a week right now. It ends up being more depending the situation. My commute gets slow a lot due to bottleneck bridges.

Working on finding a fully remote job. Most of my job I do the same thing in office I do at home. A few rare in person meetings every
thing else is online.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login