Who is States #2 rival?

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
I think it’s Arkansas. I know we’ve only been playing them since the 90s, but that’s just who I personally hate the most outside of Ole Miss. I just can’t say Bama is our second biggest rival because of there dominance over us in football, and I know their fans don’t consider it a rivalry(same thing with LSU). I also really hate A&M but I’ve noticed State fans that like them because of the similarities between schools. What are y’all’s thoughts?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I think LSU is building some steam of late. We've played them for a lot longer than Pig and despite that 17 (SWIDT?) year or so draught, we've picked it up a notch now. John Bond Years, Dak, Pirate and schit.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
I think it’s Arkansas. I know we’ve only been playing them since the 90s, but that’s just who I personally hate the most outside of Ole Miss. I just can’t say Bama is our second biggest rival because of there dominance over us in football, and I know their fans don’t consider it a rivalry(same thing with LSU). I also really hate A&M but I’ve noticed State fans that like them because of the similarities between schools. What are y’all’s thoughts?

According to Bama fans it's a rivalry when it comes time to pick Bama's 3 permanent opponents. Saw numerous Bama fans on r/CFB wanting to keep us as their #3. Most of them wanted Auburn, Tennessee, and us.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
According to Bama fans it's a rivalry when it comes time to pick Bama's 3 permanent opponents. Saw numerous Bama fans on r/CFB wanting to keep us as their #3. Most of them wanted Auburn, Tennessee, and us.
Same thing on the SEC Rant on Tigerdroppings (even a couple of MSU fans are saying this - what idiots). Our best case scenario is UM, Ark and anyone not named bama. We've only beaten them 17 out of 107 tries, so obviously we are not a rival. Hell with our AD coming from OU, maybe he can work out a deal for them to be our third.

If we are stuck with bama (and I think we will be), we must get Vandy as our third.

Reactions: msstatelp1

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I wouldn’t say Arkansas, there’s just not a lot of emotional hate there. I think 20 years ago the was a budding basketball rivalry with Kentucky but we fell off the map and that died. There is a little bit of a football rivalry with Ky in football simply because of the schedule and both our places in the SEC pecking order. I feel a little bit of a rivalry with aTm simply over who is the maroon SEC team. I think a rivalry involves hate and different fans have deep rooted hate for other teams for a variety of reasons so it’s more of a personal thing, except Ole Miss, every hates them.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Some people including me think it is Texas A&M. Same colors, rivalry started with one of my favorite games "the Snow Bowl". Of course, going forward they will be another Alabama because of the $$$.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I could certainly see this too, there's some real hatred there. They'd never acknowledge us, but we've got some pretty good wins against them in the modern era. I remember being shocked when Jackie beat them. Growing up, I didn't even think it possible to beat Bama, Auburn, Florida or LSU.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I want to say Auburn started to get me rankled with Cam and now with them hiring Freeze, I’m borderline rooting for Ole Miss to beat their аss.

Texas A&M had been making a case too, mostly because of their weird rituals. Personally, I’m hoping it becomes OU because my marriage and relationship with my in-laws is too respectful and even-keeled. I need some awkward tension on game days.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Some people including me think it is Texas A&M. Same colors, rivalry started with one of my favorite games "the Snow Bowl". Of course, going forward they will be another Alabama because of the $$$.
Literally the only thing we have in common with them is the color and we're both ag schools. I think of our permanent opponents, they're the least of our rivals.

Reactions: dorndawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I want to say Auburn started to get me rankled with Cam and now with them hiring Freeze, I’m borderline rooting for Ole Miss to beat their аss.

Texas A&M had been making a case too, mostly because of their weird rituals. Personally, I’m hoping it becomes OU because my marriage and relationship with my in-laws is too respectful and even-keeled. I need some awkward tension on game days.
Older I get, the more and more I get pissed at how Alabama people look down their nose at Mississippi. So I can see that.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Ourselves
Yep.

Many many many years ago back in the day when Dawgnews ruled the world (note: young whippersnappers-- this was BEFORE people ever heard of the name Gene Swindoll) there was an LSU fan who subscribed to all the SEC school listservs and said that out of all of them, Dawgnews was by far the most spirited with State fans arguing with & against other State fans which was something that others didn't do to that extent yet.

xtina GIF

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Literally the only thing we have in common with them is the color and we're both ag schools. I think of our permanent opponents, they're the least of our rivals.
I believe our charter names them as the school we were modeled after. Just like Clemson names us as the school they were trying to duplicate. I met a lot of their fans at the snow bowl and at home games. Great people very similar to ours. Of course, all this discussion is moot. Some SEC cigar smokers will gather in a room in Birmingham and set up permanent foes with the thought that Alabama must emerge supreme and put us in our familiar role as cannon fodder. We are only 90 miles away after all. So expect ours to be Ole Miss, Alabama and Kentucky. So the long term scenario will be alternating wins against UK and OM. Guaranteed loss to Bummer each year

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
We may not be competitive like we'd like with LSU and Bama in football, but for me in the big 3 sports, they are by far the other two I most want to beat for a litany of reasons.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I think LSU is building some steam of late. We've played them for a lot longer than Pig and despite that 17 (SWIDT?) year or so draught, we've picked it up a notch now. John Bond Years, Dak, Pirate and schit.
Pirate? He was 1-2 against them

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
In football there's just not one. We occasionally get booked into some sort of short-term rivalry like wrestling then it builds to a PPV and maybe a steel cage match and then it simmers down for a while. Any number of teams you could slot in there for a two or three year period over the years.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
In football there's just not one. We occasionally get booked into some sort of short-term rivalry like wrestling then it builds to a PPV and maybe a steel cage match and then it simmers down for a while. Any number of teams you could slot in there for a two or three year period over the years.
Mississippi State: The Brooklyn Brawler of the SEC

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Yep.

Many many many years ago back in the day when Dawgnews ruled the world (note: young whippersnappers-- this was BEFORE people ever heard of the name Gene Swindoll) there was an LSU fan who subscribed to all the SEC school listservs and said that out of all of them, Dawgnews was by far the most spirited with State fans arguing with & against other State fans which was something that others didn't do to that extent yet.

xtina GIF
Do you mean Dawg's Bite ruled the world? :)

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
So expect ours to be Ole Miss, Alabama and Kentucky. So the long term scenario will be alternating wins against UK and OM. Guaranteed loss to Bummer each year
#metoo. If we do get stuck with Bama, Keenum needs to hold the line that Vandy will be our third opponent.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I believe our charter names them as the school we were modeled after. Just like Clemson names us as the school they were trying to duplicate. I met a lot of their fans at the snow bowl and at home games. Great people very similar to ours. Of course, all this discussion is moot. Some SEC cigar smokers will gather in a room in Birmingham and set up permanent foes with the thought that Alabama must emerge supreme and put us in our familiar role as cannon fodder. We are only 90 miles away after all. So expect ours to be Ole Miss, Alabama and Kentucky. So the long term scenario will be alternating wins against UK and OM. Guaranteed loss to Bummer each year
If true, the school history on our website doesn't mention it. Both schools were founded within 2 years of each other as land grant schools, so of course they'd be pretty similar. But that doesn't make A&M a rival any more than Clemson is a rival. As for only 90 miles apart, that's pretty meaningless. Some of ya'll are making WAY too much of that.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think Arkansas is barely number two. For one, just because we have had football, basketball, and baseball rivalries and it's been pretty reasonably competitive in all of them. What probably puts it over the edge is we played late in the year in football for so long when and the games often meant something.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login