Who is States #2 rival?

MaroonSadness99

Aug 1, 2022
The responses in this thread kinda tells you "we" don't have a number #2. Individually folks might but collectively we obviously don't.
Us not really having a second rival almost makes me think we’re the lovable loser of the SEC. I never really here anyone outside of ole miss folks having a gripe with our teams or fan base

patdog

May 28, 2007
Us not really having a second rival almost makes me think we’re the lovable loser of the SEC. I never really here anyone outside of ole miss folks having a gripe with our teams or fan base
Arkansas and Kentucky don't even really have a first rival, so there's that. A&M kind of does, but they haven't played them in a dozen years and their #1 rival has never considered them to be its #1 rival. LSU doesn't really have a 1st rival.

Reactions: MaroonSadness99
Nov 25, 2019

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Pirate? He was 1-2 against them
I'm just lookin' at the overall picture here. Mullen and Schit. There was a long period where they flat out owned us and they have Nattys to Show which makes them WAY outta our league but the game has gone from a long time every year gimme to something WAY more competitive.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Our fan base is smaller, but higher quality in terms of decent people than the LSU, Bama, Florida etcs of the world. Winners attract a lot of loser fans.

You choose Mississippi State as your team against your better judgement.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
It's Alabama, for 17s sake!
Embrace it, fellas.
Yes, it's one-sided and it sucks to lose to them as much as we have. But that is the rivalry - much more so than any other current SEC team.
If we do wind up with Bama as one of our three, let's hope to God we get Vandy as compensation for our pain and suffering.
But our number #2 rival is Alabama. And if you followed our football program from the beginning, you could make an argument for it being #1.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
... Some SEC cigar smokers will gather in a room in Birmingham and set up permanent foes with the thought that Alabama must emerge supreme and put us in our familiar role as cannon fodder. We are only 90 miles away after all. So expect ours to be Ole Miss, Alabama and Kentucky. So the long term scenario will be alternating wins against UK and OM. Guaranteed loss to Bummer each year
I could be completely wrong, but I don't see ESPN sacrificing a potential Bama-LSU annual matchup for a HWY 82 beatdown. The playoff expands to 12 teams also and a 10-2/9-3 Alabama team will make it every year, so the margin for error is greater now. Besides, when Sanky talked about geographic proximatey, I think he was referring games like State-Ark, Ole Miss-Vandy, over games like OU-FL, Texas-UGa.

Reactions: patdog

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I think it’s Arkansas. I know we’ve only been playing them since the 90s, but that’s just who I personally hate the most outside of Ole Miss. I just can’t say Bama is our second biggest rival because of there dominance over us in football, and I know their fans don’t consider it a rivalry(same thing with LSU). I also really hate A&M but I’ve noticed State fans that like them because of the similarities between schools. What are y’all’s thoughts?
I don't think we have one, which is fine with me. Maybe one will develop, but we have one trophy game and that's enough.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I could be completely wrong, but I don't see ESPN sacrificing a potential Bama-LSU annual matchup for a HWY 82 beatdown. The playoff expands to 12 teams also and a 10-2/9-3 Alabama team will make it every year, so the margin for error is greater now. Besides, when Sanky talked about geographic proximatey, I think he was referring games like State-Ark, Ole Miss-Vandy, over games like OU-FL, Texas-UGa.
Of course, you're right. But never let logic and reason get in the way of a good paranoid meltdown for our fanbase. We're gonna get stuck with Bama! **

Reactions: travis.sixpack

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
It's Alabama, for 17s sake!
Embrace it, fellas.
Yes, it's one-sided and it sucks to lose to them as much as we have. But that is the rivalry - much more so than any other current SEC team.
If we do wind up with Bama as one of our three, let's hope to God we get Vandy as compensation for our pain and suffering.
But our number #2 rival is Alabama. And if you followed our football program from the beginning, you could make an argument for it being #1.
It's not a rivalry. And never has been. In the first 50 or so games of the series, State-Bama was played in the state of MS only a handful of times. What kind of rivalry is that?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There is not doubt that ESPN will push for Bama/LSU rather than Bama/MSU, everyone understands that. Saban, who carries huge sway with the league office, will push for MSU, every one should understand that also.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Their fans are a lot more arrogant than most people think. They definitely look down on us.
Everybody looks down on us. We are in Mississippi so by default they look down on us. I've never met a rude A&M fan. Maybe I've been lucky.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There is not doubt that ESPN will push for Bama/LSU rather than Bama/MSU, everyone understands that. Saban, who carries huge sway with the league office, will push for MSU, every one should understand that also.
I don't know what Saban may push for. But I do know the SEC office is going to tell him to kick rocks and pound sand if he doesn't want Auburn, Tennessee & LSU.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
If true, the school history on our website doesn't mention it. Both schools were founded within 2 years of each other as land grant schools, so of course they'd be pretty similar. But that doesn't make A&M a rival any more than Clemson is a rival. As for only 90 miles apart, that's pretty meaningless. Some of ya'll are making WAY too much of that.
Just pointing out similarities. https://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/11/07/history-similarities-things-shared-msu-atm/
I guess my opinion isn't shared by too many. I was excited when A&M was added to our schedule and considered the Snow Bowl the start of a rivalry. The main reason for that post was to say what you and I think is ultimately meaningless.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I think it’s Arkansas. I know we’ve only been playing them since the 90s, but that’s just who I personally hate the most outside of Ole Miss. I just can’t say Bama is our second biggest rival because of there dominance over us in football, and I know their fans don’t consider it a rivalry(same thing with LSU). I also really hate A&M but I’ve noticed State fans that like them because of the similarities between schools. What are y’all’s thoughts?
I think it's gotta be Vandy and then our #3 would be Missouri. Conversely, Mississippi's main rivals are LSU and Bama. If you don't believe that, then just ask them.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
You've talked to him? Saban doesn't seem like a guy who wants to take shortcuts. Have you seen Bama's future OOC? They have multiple years with 2 P5 OOC teams scheduled. You don't do that if you're just trying to amass easy wins.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You've talked to him? Saban doesn't seem like a guy who wants to take shortcuts. Have you seen Bama's future OOC? They have multiple years with 2 P5 OOC teams scheduled. You don't do that if you're just trying to amass easy wins.
Exactly, if he wants harder OOC conference match ups, then having a lessor opponent as his 3rd opponent is even more important. Even with a 12 team playoff, thee losses will be rare to make it. I do believe Saban is consumed with winning nattys.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Everybody looks down on us. We are in Mississippi so by default they look down on us. I've never met a rude A&M fan. Maybe I've been lucky.

Not necessarily rude but unnecessarily arrogant. They get pretty humble and quiet when we beat them.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I don't know what Saban may push for. But I do know the SEC office is going to tell him to kick rocks and pound sand if he doesn't want Auburn, Tennessee & LSU.
There is a limit to how much TV can control. Of course TV will want Bama's permanents to be LSU, Auburn, and UT; and for UGA's to be Auburn, Florida, and UT; and for MSU's to be Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Vandy, etc. But the league is going to to put some weight on competitive balance. And also while TV wants the big matchups, if there are getting a bunch of blue blood matchups where both teams have multiple losses because of a brutal schedule, that's probably going to hurt ratings some.

I think our best hope is that outside of this year, UT has been as bad or worse than MSU from 2010 forward, so there will be a good argument that putting UT with Bama instead of MSU actually provides a more fair schedule to Bama and provides better TV matchups.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There is a limit to how much TV can control. Of course TV will want Bama's permanents to be LSU, Auburn, and UT; and for UGA's to be Auburn, Florida, and UT; and for MSU's to be Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Vandy, etc. But the league is going to to put some weight on competitive balance. And also while TV wants the big matchups, if there are getting a bunch of blue blood matchups where both teams have multiple losses because of a brutal schedule, that's probably going to hurt ratings some.

I think our best hope is that outside of this year, UT has been as bad or worse than MSU from 2010 forward, so there will be a good argument that putting UT with Bama instead of MSU actually provides a more fair schedule to Bama and provides better TV matchups.
The way the format will work is the top 8 schools will get 2 top 8 and 1 bottom 8 permanent opponent. The bottom 8 will get 2 bottom 8s and 1 top 8. This makes sense for both competitive balance and TV ratings. Tennessee is Bama's bottom 8 permanent opponent. Our top 8 opponent will probably be either A&M or possibly Auburn.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Bama is not going to beat us every year or 25-out-of-26 years forever. At some point, the pendulum will swing to the West on highway 82.
Arnett could be the one who makes it happen.
And I am there for it. Bring on the State-Bama rivalry game!

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I agree. If you held a gun to my head and demanded I pick our 3, it'd be Ole Miss, Auburn, and Arkansas/Kentucky.
If we get stuck with Alabama as a permanent we need to demand Vandy to offset it.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
The way the format will work is the top 8 schools will get 2 top 8 and 1 bottom 8 permanent opponent. The bottom 8 will get 2 bottom 8s and 1 top 8. This makes sense for both competitive balance and TV ratings. Tennessee is Bama's bottom 8 permanent opponent. Our top 8 opponent will probably be either A&M or possibly Auburn.
Tennessee is #2 in the league right now in all-time winning percentage. They’ll be #4 after UT and OU join.
Maybe there’s a more relevant metric to sort the top 8/bottom 8, but that’s the most straightforward way I can think of.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
One that hasn't been said but is #5 in terms of all-time number of games in football:

Tulane

From 1902-2007, 56 total games, MSU leads series 30-25-1

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Do you mean Dawg's Bite ruled the world? :)
It sure as hell did when I waited on the mailbox every month or how often it went out. Wow have times have changed. For the better but I sure loved me some USPS Dawg's Bite when that was the only STATE Red Meat around at the time.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Auburn, in my opinion…

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login