Who is this dude OM just signed?

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
People I know are going wild over him. Some DE. I don’t follow recruiting, but of course the rebs in my life are acting like they’re headed to ATL now.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
If only you had access to the internet...
Kobe Bryant Eye Roll GIF

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
People I know are going wild over him. Some DE. I don’t follow recruiting, but of course the rebs in my life are acting like they’re headed to ATL now.
I don't follow recruiting either, I just generally go to 6PK. They know.

Tomas Smid

May 4, 2010
Apparently, Pete Golding is having a positive effect on recruitment of Mississippi high school defensive players. OM has committed three of the state’s top defensive linemen in Franklin, Rush and Beavers. Throw in Echols, who may end up on the OL, and this will be their best DL haul in awhile.

Mississippi high school talent is generally under appreciated but apparently there has been a shift in OM recruiting under Golding to more emphasis on local high school talent. The more slots filled by high schoolers, the less available for the portal down the road.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I kind of wonder is it good to give NIL to guy out of high school. I say save it for Portal and guys who you know pan out that is already on the team. We had two really important guys go into the portal than backed out. I kind of figure some NIL money was sent their way. If our NIL guys have wasted, it on a high school kid who we don't know if he is going to pan out or enter the portal once they get their money. School like us and Ole MIss have to smart and not careless like A&m.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
Apparently he never gave state a second glance. Don’t know, other than what I see on websites. Strange considering what’s in the league now that came from msu.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
My sons team (Hernando) scrimmaged Lake Cormorant last night. He played a couple series and was good. Definitely looks like a beast physically, but I wouldn’t say, hey that guy is a top 10 player in the country just by watching him.

Reactions: RiceDawg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Apparently he never gave state a second glance. Don’t know, other than what I see on websites. Strange considering what’s in the league now that came from msu.
He's definitely a "Chris Jones/Jeffrey Simmons" level player. Great get for them. They don't usually get these type DLs......normally we do.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He's definitely a "Chris Jones/Jeffrey Simmons" level player. Great get for them. They don't usually get these type DLs......normally we do.
No he is not at the level of those guys. Not even close. Those were generational talents. Franklin is a very good player who I'd love to see us get but he's got some work to do to be considered at that level.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I agree. I read that his motor is off and on. A beast when he turns it up but takes plays off. I hate that we aren't getting him.but seems we were never even in it

Reactions: Realtordog

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Key words “he’s committed” but not signed. We’ll see what happens between now and December.
We'll see what happens between now and December. And then we'll see what happens between this December and next December, and so on until the player has exhausted their eligibility.

Reactions: Yeti

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I agree. I read that his motor is off and on. A beast when he turns it up but takes plays off. I hate that we aren't getting him.but seems we were never even in it
Yeah, I never really saw anything over the last year or so other than wishful thinking on our part that he was interested in MSU. I know Kirby Smart had made a visit and Heupal at UT was trying hard too, but basically no MSU mention. Freezer, I thought, had a great chance, but apparently not.

catvet

May 11, 2009
The bottom line is the have now placed an emphasis on Mississippi recruiting and have stopped our recruiting momentum cold. They did it by offering NIL sums we aren't going to give or match. It's legal to pay players and they have always excelled at that. We are getting spanked right now

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
What's the going NIL rate for a five star DE ?
Rumor is.... Auburn offered 400 and OM doubled it. That's what one kid said that goes to LC.

What I do know. OM put a lot of effort into recruiting him. Also in Desoto County, OM is a common destination for many students. With that said, I thought he would head to Tennessee. We shall see come December.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Rumor is.... Auburn offered 400 and OM doubled it. That's what one kid said that goes to LC.

What I do know. OM put a lot of effort into recruiting him. Also in Desoto County, OM is a common destination for many students. With that said, I thought he would head to Tennessee. We shall see come December.
It's still a long way to go. But there are some serious challenges with this kid. I don't think he's a bad kid and I don't think ole miss has done anything wrong either, so it's not sour grapes. It's just going to be interesting watching it all play out.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

$800k for one HS player that's not a QB? Unless you have unlimited NIL money, that seems like a mistake. If I were an Ole Miss fan, I would hope that isn't accurate.

Something I heard that I believe is accurate: Spencer Sanders has a top-5 NIL tag among players currently on Ole Miss's roster. That's high for someone that likely will not be your starting QB.

I don't think the Ole Miss NIL push to impress Lane Kiffin is sustainable, especially if they don't win 9+ games this year.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I'm not exactly sure if he wasn't interested in us or the coaches weren't that impressed by him. What I read gave me the impression that they preferred Hibbler possibly because of effort or attitude or something of that nature. He definitely has impressed a lot of people and got the stars but you never know how it will progress.

Reactions: Tripp McNeely

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Was not much interest from him in us. However, we have a shot with his teammate, Jarcoby Hopson.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
$800k for one HS player that's not a QB? Unless you have unlimited NIL money, that seems like a mistake. If I were an Ole Miss fan, I would hope that isn't accurate.

Something I heard that I believe is accurate: Spencer Sanders has a top-5 NIL tag among players currently on Ole Miss's roster. That's high for someone that likely will not be your starting QB.

I don't think the Ole Miss NIL push to impress Lane Kiffin is sustainable, especially if they don't win 9+ games this year.
So is this a one time $800 k over time or is this per year, or all one lump sum?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Hard for me to comprehend a DL not being interested in State when 3 of the highest paid DL in the league graduated from State.
more than meets the eye.jpg

There's definitely more to the story than just "OM lands a 5-starrrrr!!!" The posters saying 'wait and see' are right. I wouldn't put too much thought or concern into this one.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
So is this a one time $800 k over time or is this per year, or all one lump sum?
It has to be over the 5 years he'll be on campus (assuming he redshirts which he probably won't). It may also be a back-loaded deal, with incentives and such.

Still a lot to pay for a high school player that hasn't proven his effectiveness in a collegiate program.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

DogStuckAtUM

Aug 5, 2021

From what I read/understand, sounds like money between the four (Ole Miss, Miami, UT, Auburn) was somewhat similar, but Ole Miss threw in the "extras"—free scholarship for girlfriend, etc.

Good point to remember for those new to the workforce. Sometimes it's not just the money, but the benefits a company offers too.**

Reactions: Maroon13
Sep 15, 2009
My sons team (Hernando) scrimmaged Lake Cormorant last night. He played a couple series and was good. Definitely looks like a beast physically, but I wouldn’t say, hey that guy is a top 10 player in the country just by watching him.
He might not even be top 10 in Mississippi. It has long been known that he is a tad overrated.

rem101

Jan 22, 2008

Something I heard from someone in Oxford...OM has 75%ish of their NIL tied up in 4 players. QB, QB, RB and one other.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I kind of wonder is it good to give NIL to guy out of high school. I say save it for Portal and guys who you know pan out that is already on the team. We had two really important guys go into the portal than backed out. I kind of figure some NIL money was sent their way. If our NIL guys have wasted, it on a high school kid who we don't know if he is going to pan out or enter the portal once they get their money. School like us and Ole MIss have to smart and not careless like A&m.
It's incredibly stupid to throw out big money to high school guys in this era of recruiting.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Hard for me to comprehend a DL not being interested in State when 3 of the highest paid DL in the league graduated from State.
They hit him with "yeah yeah becoming a high paid DL in the NFL and winning Super Bowls is great and all, but have you ever been a total bust in the league and jumped out a hotel window while you're high on bath salts? That is the 17ing bomb."

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Something I heard from someone in Oxford...OM has 75%ish of their NIL tied up in 4 players. QB, QB, RB and one other.
I think they made another fundraising push off the commitment of Franklin. I just want to see the fan reaction to 8-4. I would love to know how much they pay (HC salary + NIL) for each win. Maybe second only to Texas A&M?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I think they made another fundraising push off the commitment of Franklin. I just want to see the fan reaction to 8-4. I would love to know how much they pay (HC salary + NIL) for each win. Maybe second only to Texas A&M?
Much as I hate it. OM has a lot of old money just sitting around. They haven't even scratched the surface of what's available to them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login