Why

RookieDawg

Sep 5, 2022
I mean, I got to go to work in the morning regardless of who they want to give a shout out too, just curious as to why it’s only these guys that never give a shout out to the school where they went to college…. Most guys have pride in their university and it seems some of our best do not, just wondering if there was a reason

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The cool guys here will tell you it’s not a big deal, but it is. There’s something wrong with MSU football. Even the guys that played during during our successful runs say that shlt.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Is there anybody still coaching at State that was associated with any of the State players playing tonight? I think I know the answer.

Reactions: patdog

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I know this is beating a dead horse, but why 9 of 11 mention their college, I get they want to represent their home town, but the only two are from state, just seems strange to me.
I wonder if we have someone in the AD department who keeps in touch with former players?

Reactions: patdog

RookieDawg

Sep 5, 2022
They watched the game
These guys being behind the program can change that, they have the money and the name recognition to help recruiting, we have some studs in the league and just seems like they aren’t worried about where they went to school, is it them, or the school, that’s my question?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I know this is beating a dead horse, but why 9 of 11 mention their college, I get they want to represent their home town, but the only two are from state, just seems strange to me.
You know what that means.

It’s now the Mississippi State Culture.

And that means it’s time to be pleasantly surprised when folks say Mississippi State University.

(I could sarcasterisk these sentences. But it actually makes sense…)

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Is there anybody still coaching at State that was associated with any of the State players playing tonight? I think I know the answer.
Yes - Tony Hughes would have been on the staff for all of Cox and Slay's career at State. David Turner was probably Cox's position coach in 2009.

Reactions: Coast_Dawg

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Don’t think any coaches that coaches Shaq are at LSU, but he is still active there
And? Imagine LSU still stays in touch with him. Does State have somebody that stays in touch with Slay or Cox? Slay spent 2-3 years of his life in Starkville. Cox has ties to Yazoo City. If Starkville means more to you than where you were born and raised (assuming those places aren’t the same), then good for you. It will be ok. State football is at a totally different place right now than it was when those guys were there.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'll add this, our fans on Message Boards and social media are decidedly negative. Last year a member of OM's baseball National Championship team announced he was transferring. The comments from their fans were overwhelmingly positive. Lane Forsyth transfers and the comments are more likey, "he sucks!"

Last edited:

RookieDawg

Sep 5, 2022
And? Imagine LSU still stays in touch with him. Does State have somebody that stays in touch with Slay or Cox? Slay spent 2-3 years of his life in Starkville. Cox has ties to Yazoo City. If Starkville means more to you than where you were born and raised (assuming those places aren’t the same), then good for you. It will be ok. State football is at a totally different place right now than it was when those guys were there.
Again, I was just asking, the only two to not mention their college were our guys, apparently the other nine felt that it was worth mentioning the school that helped them develop and get drafted. I was just curious as to why some of our guys just won’t give shouts out to our university. It’s their time they can do what they want. The main reason I wonder is if they have anything to do with the program off the screen.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Again, I was just asking, the only two to not mention their college were our guys, apparently the other nine felt that it was worth mentioning the school that helped them develop and get drafted. I was just curious as to why some of our guys just won’t give shouts out to our university. It’s their time they can do what they want. The main reason I wonder is if they have anything to do with the program off the screen.
I understand your question. I doubt you will get a truly accurate answer here. After going back and looking at coaches, best I could find is Tony Hughes, as John Deaux VII said, was on staff dealing with the secondary while Slay was at State for two years but wasn’t his position coach in 2011 and can’t find 2012. David Turner left State for Kentucky after 2009 which was Cox’s freshman season. None of the coaching staff that helped those guys develop and get drafted are here. Coaching staff (across all positions) has changed a dozen times since those guys were here and just coming to State isn’t going to make the younger kids still in school into Fletcher Cox or Darius Slay or anybody else from State that’s in the NFL currently, past or present.

I know several Eagles fans through work relationships. They only know where Cox and Slay went to college because of discussions with me. They don’t care. They’re worried more about the cap hit that Cox has caused at times in his career in Philly. The only people that are feeling slighted are State fans and Cox and Slay as well as most other former State players will likely never cross paths in life with the majority of people that feel slighted.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Yes - Tony Hughes would have been on the staff for all of Cox and Slay's career at State. David Turner was probably Cox's position coach in 2009.
Melvin Smith was the Safeties coach when Slay was here. Slay was playing safety. I don't recall if it was injuries or just poor play at the corner but Slay was moved after asking about the position. I heard an interview with Smith. Smith said he didn't even know Slay could play corner. I thought wtf because it was corner that Slay played in juco before coming to state. Heard this interview about the time Slay made his 1st pro bowl and thought if it's not the most MSU thing ever to play a NFL pro-bowl corner out of position at safety, I don't know what is.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
The cool guys here will tell you it’s not a big deal, but it is. There’s something wrong with MSU football. Even the guys that played during during our successful runs say that shlt.
Yeah so players that played over multiple coaches hate msu bc of ?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Up until this season many on this board was blaming Leach and his politics. How wrong you were.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Basically boils down to players (and coaches) simply aren’t fans like we are. Eric Dotson and Sleepy used to introduce me to former players by saying “ he’s a true FAN.” Meaning I was invested in wins and losses way more than them. The one player I know who was a big big fan was Johnie Cooks, may he rest in peace.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I've never cared much about the HS thing in the intros, but I definitely have a softer spot in my heart for the guys who actually seem to care about honoring the college they played for.

There's zero question who I'm rooting for when Dallas plays Philly.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah so players that played over multiple coaches hate msu bc of ?
I think you realize by now that I'm not just another dubmass behind the computer. This is something I have noticed. I don't have the answer, but we just seem to have some core level of dysfunction. It may simply be that the commitment quotient just isn't there, because it's better in basketball, and obviously very good in baseball.

And if it's going to be this way, why not lean into it? Because I'll be honest, if all these ex-MSU NFL guys are not donating back to NIL, why should I really care if they have success? Because it doesn't seem to be helping.

RookieDawg

Sep 5, 2022
I think you realize by now that I'm not just another dubmass behind the computer. This is something I have noticed. I don't have the answer, but we just seem to have some core level of dysfunction. It may simply be that the commitment quotient just isn't there, because it's better in basketball, and obviously very good in baseball.

And if it's going to be this way, why not lean into it? Because I'll be honest, if all these ex-MSU NFL guys are not donating back to NIL, why should I really care if they have success? Because it doesn't seem to be helping.
Absolutely, Dak, Jeffery Simmons, and others that publicly put back into the university should stay on full display, and remain as much of our program as they wish to be!

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Does Dak say “Mississippi State”? I remember for a while he was saying “Haughton High School.”

The bigger question beyond what they say during game introductions is whether or not they’re actively participating in NIL (Bulldog Initiative). If they’re not, that’s a HUGE Miss on our part. Dak, Cox, Slay, Jones, Simmons, Gay, etc have to be some of the richest alumni/former students that we have and they came up through athletics. If they’re not actively supporting NIL, that’s an issue….

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Just a thought, this day and age, maybe the other guys got paid some to mention the schools name, and ours didn’t? Again, we are near the bottom in our conference in NIL being spent in many different ways.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
These guys being behind the program can change that, they have the money and the name recognition to help recruiting, we have some studs in the league and just seems like they aren’t worried about where they went to school, is it them, or the school, that’s my question?
I think its a you problem.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
A grown man on TV chose to participate in a long standing trend of naming a high school or area or some other random thing instead of their college and posters here just can't seem to not care.

How many players have yelled 'Wakanda Forever!' or 'Wakanda Tech'? over the last 6 years? That doesne't ven begin to address all the other random stuff said.

If a recruit gives a 17 about what an NFL player says on Sunday night football intros, let em sign with Ole Miss.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Has Cox donated one red cent to MSU? I don't think he has, but I may be wrong. Making hundreds of millions and can't even find some pocket change to throw at us.

Reactions: retire the banner

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Yea it’s all me. I just went to school here, I still wear my gear, just don’t make millions. We just need the best in the business to promote our school, and curious why some just don’t care enough to do so.
Not everyone feels the same way you do. And just like it’s your prerogative to be a walking model for Maroon and Company, it’s the prerogative of others not to be. Not sure why that bothers people so much.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Has Cox donated one red cent to MSU? I don't think he has, but I may be wrong. Making hundreds of millions and can't even find some pocket change to throw at us.
Why would you care what Fletcher Cox does with his money?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Yall can make excuses for it and say it doesn't matter but this school can use all the positive publicity it can get. If they don't call out their college like 99% of the other players do it seems to suggest they have a problem either the school. Some players emphatically call out either pride. THE Ohio State University or THE U.

Reactions: STATEgrad04

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
How would any random goob know if someone else has or hasn't donated money to MSU?
Genuinely, I don't know how I could ever tell, unless it was announced in a press release or something was named after him.

Also, criticizing how others spend their money? Boy thats a dicey stance to take.

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
Basically boils down to players (and coaches) simply aren’t fans like we are. Eric Dotson and Sleepy used to introduce me to former players by saying “ he’s a true FAN.” Meaning I was invested in wins and losses way more than them. The one player I know who was a big big fan was Johnie Cooks, may he rest in peace.
Johnie Cooks was active with almost all prior MSU players as he helped them get insurance that they needed due to injuries related to football.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login