Wifi Extender Suggestions

Jul 11, 2024
Will be inside an office. Brick building with cinder block walls between conference rooms.

Internet is from Verizon and relatively fast but the range isn't good outside of the main office room. Need to get it down the hall to several conference rooms.

TIA.

ETA: preferably in the $50 range but will pay more if you promise its worth it.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I bought the set of three Netgear Nighthawk extenders last year for our office and shop and they work great. They are extending wifi from our office inside a metal building into our shop in another metal building with zero issue. It comes with one primary that hooks into your router and the two secondary’s can mesh with it and be repeaters.

Reactions: ChE1997

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Get mesh. Wi-Fi extenders are cheap and slow and based on 8 year old tech not much different than a string and a cup.

Get the eero pro or similar. $350.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
These are good too.
That's what I have at my house also, main one in the middle and the other 2 on each end of the house and its been really good. The ends of the house were hard to reach with just the one in the middle but the auxillary ones on the ends have ended that.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I have this by by the backdoor and it extends across my garage to a workshop on the other side with zero signal lost.

TP-Link AX3000 WiFi 6 Range Extender Internet Booster(RE700X), Dual Band, AP Mode w/Gigabit Port, OFDMA, Beamforming, APP Setup, OneMesh Compatible (Renewed) https://a.co/d/fBpr0Sv

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I have this by by the backdoor and it extends across my garage to a workshop on the other side with zero signal lost.

TP-Link AX3000 WiFi 6 Range Extender Internet Booster(RE700X), Dual Band, AP Mode w/Gigabit Port, OFDMA, Beamforming, APP Setup, OneMesh Compatible (Renewed) https://a.co/d/fBpr0Sv
Wi-Fi extenders by design cut the speed in half. Engineering.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
eero pro provides remote management and a few other faster wifi (WiFi 7) features that can go as fast as your wifi devices can go. you may not need that speed and may not need extra features.

that Netgear mesh and this Eero mesh is about the same, Eero has just been recognized more as "editors choice, readers choice" etc

you may not need 3 devices, 2 might work fine

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
I bought the set of three Netgear Nighthawk extenders last year for our office and shop and they work great. They are extending wifi from our office inside a metal building into our shop in another metal building with zero issue. It comes with one primary that hooks into your router and the two secondary’s can mesh with it and be repeaters.
How far apart are they? My brother in law is looking to extend wifi to his shop from his house. It’s at least 75 yards away though.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
How far apart are they? My brother in law is looking to extend wifi to his shop from his house. It’s at least 75 yards away though.
If he’s going that far he might want a point to point system like this one. I have one set up that beams down to another building about 300 yards away. Works great. They do have some long range wifi extenders.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Get mesh. Wi-Fi extenders are cheap and slow and based on 8 year old tech not much different than a string and a cup.

Get the eero pro or similar. $350.
I got the Eero a few years ago based on a thread from this exact site (and maybe it was you?) and it has been GREAT ever since.
They also have some security features and interface is easy. I think I paid closer to $200 though, so may have been more basic package but it has 3 mesh units.

Reactions: onewoof

BluffParkDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Eero is the answer. Great mesh and great software to manage it right from your phone. If you want something more business-minded, check out Ubiquiti's UniFi platform.

Reactions: dgsmith15

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
If he’s going that far he might want a point to point system like this one. I have one set up that beams down to another building about 300 yards away. Works great. They do have some long range wifi extenders.

correct. if you have to go 75 to 150 yards, get a BRIDGE like DCD shows in the link above, not a extender/mesh. think "line of sight invisible laser beam" vs turning on a porch lamp at your house and hoping it lights up the barn door.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login