Will Elon buy Sixpack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
People storming the Capitol because you don’t like the election results is a threat to the democratic process. Elon Musk buying Twitter isn’t. The gnashing of teeth over this is silly.

In a well-functioning democracy, it wouldn't be much of a threat. But we aren't even close to one. We have one Party hellbent on fascist control and systematically proceeding towards it, and another too corrupt to do anything about it. EM's newfound ability to put his thumb on the scale, and his demonstrated propensity to do so, is a threat no doubt about it. It's one more shuffling step towards fascism, and I don't know how many more this govt can stand before it falls to it.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
No censorship means twitter = Craig's List

I am all for the reduction of bots too. Thing is though, Musk said he wants free speech and to not censor. That means you allow in everything- the good and the bad. He said free speech is the bedrock of a functioning society, so claims that are not proven yet also arent disproven would be allowed. Chaos and misinformation would rule.
To not censor would mean the very thing he wants to ban would be allowed- bots. Not censoring and banning cant coexist. To ban is to censor.

Now the argument can be made that no human users should be censored and no human users should be banned. Ok cool, but when human users spam the 17 out of everyone, does nothing negative happen to them?

I am eager to see how he plans to balance everything he has said he wants. I dont think it can happen and he will be ridiculed for whatever he chooses to forego.

There will be regulation of content and who can and cannot post. Unless he wants to lose $40 billion and then some. I don't care for the guy, but he's not dumb. He will clean up trash accounts. Probably charge for certain types of accounts. Probably end up a better product with the folks that like to yell the loudest or make **** takes continue to complain about speech standards on Twitter. Life goes on unchanged.

patdog

May 28, 2007
How is what Elon may or may not do when he owns Twitter any more of a threat than the censorship Twitter is enforcing today?

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
There will be regulation of content and who can and cannot post. Unless he wants to lose $40 billion and then some. I don't care for the guy, but he's not dumb. He will clean up trash accounts. Probably charge for certain types of accounts. Probably end up a better product with the folks that like to yell the loudest or make **** takes continue to complain about speech standards on Twitter. Life goes on unchanged.

He may not be dumb, but he for sure says some dumb crap, and often overestimates himself which puts him in some dumb positions. Him not realizing he can't both uncensor Twitter and clean up bots and spamming is highly on brand. But it's also hard to filter out when he's just grifting, such as the tunnel nonsense.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Sometimes I find myself staring into space

while wondering who it is that is presumably a grown adult, has bills to pay and responsibilities to attend to yet they have seemingly an infinite number of hours to debate specious philosophical positions with accounts that represent individuals who may or may not actually be real. The number of man hours that is flushed on that app is absolutely repulsive.

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Nah he believes in as much free speech as possible.

As I type that I hate myself bc I want Irish banned.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I am all for the reduction of bots too. Thing is though, Musk said he wants free speech and to not censor. That means you allow in everything- the good and the bad. He said free speech is the bedrock of a functioning society, so claims that are not proven yet also arent disproven would be allowed. Chaos and misinformation would rule.
To not censor would mean the very thing he wants to ban would be allowed- bots. Not censoring and banning cant coexist. To ban is to censor.

Now the argument can be made that no human users should be censored and no human users should be banned. Ok cool, but when human users spam the 17 out of everyone, does nothing negative happen to them?

I am eager to see how he plans to balance everything he has said he wants. I dont think it can happen and he will be ridiculed for whatever he chooses to forego.

I love how people are all the sudden people are deciding there is only one possible meaning of free speech. Like it isn't perfectly reasonable to equate a platform that refuses to engage in viewpoint discrimination as one that is committed to free speech.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
He realizes it. He's just talking out both sides of his mouth.

He may not be dumb, but he for sure says some dumb crap, and often overestimates himself which puts him in some dumb positions. Him not realizing he can't both uncensor Twitter and clean up bots and spamming is highly on brand. But it's also hard to filter out when he's just grifting, such as the tunnel nonsense.

If I had to wager, my money would be on him pulling out of the deal after a scrub of user data. He'll find that there's way more garbage on twitter than he anticipated and claim it doesn't support the offer price. Then, he'll counter with an absurd offer, while making his point about twitter being full of garbage, get the attention he seeks, and not have to commit to buying something at an overvalued price. As it stands today, the guy is going to add something like $1B in debt service costs to already thin margins? Doesn't pass the smell test. It's a stunt.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

Maybe you should learn to speak Zulu.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Elon is for free speech, until he isn't. I wouldn't treat him as a savior or beacon of free expression of ideas. You'll be disappointed. He'll have a TOS and a profit motive just like any other owner. He'll probably enforce the TOS in an inconsistent manner as well - unless you dog on Tesla...that'll get you banned every time.

If he can get rid of the bots, I'll take it. Otherwise, expect twitter to keep on twittering and be a cesspool of hot takes and bickering over nothing.

I can't imagine he will be half as bad as the current twitter. Just a "don't suppress news that hurts your favored political candidate" rule that is actually enforced would make twitter less evil. Twitter is probably not going to be a positive influence on the world, but it could be much less bad.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I use it as an information source for sports and work and stay out of the political crazy talk. It’s pretty useful for that.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
If I had to wager, my money would be on him pulling out of the deal after a scrub of user data. He'll find that there's way more garbage on twitter than he anticipated and claim it doesn't support the offer price. Then, he'll counter with an absurd offer, while making his point about twitter being full of garbage, get the attention he seeks, and not have to commit to buying something at an overvalued price. As it stands today, the guy is going to add something like $1B in debt service costs to already thin margins? Doesn't pass the smell test. It's a stunt.

Perhaps, but don't discount that people that are highly capable in one thing, can be quite dumb in others, and often their success in their niche field leads to overconfidence that makes their positions outside their field even dumber.

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
People storming the Capitol because you don’t like the election results is a threat to the democratic process.

People also stormed the Capitol protesting the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh. They were banging on the chamber doors trying to get in.

But I guess that is not considered a threat.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Name 4 actual threats to our democracy.

2 have to be anti conservative and 2 have to be anti liberal.

We’ll wait.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I’m curious which side you think would lose more if we made the US house and senate take an actual civics exam.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It’s called the mute button or block button or unfollow.

It’s crazy how easy that is to stop everything you just mentioned without having some dickhead decide what’s best for you.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Supposedly he agreed to a higher than typical break up fee. So something more than 3%. So something north of $1.32B. ($1.420B perhaps?) He may end up backing out, but I doubt he's intending to do a >$1.3B stunt.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
People also stormed the Capitol protesting the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh. They were banging on the chamber doors trying to get in.

But I guess that is not considered a threat.

It isn’t since it’s the same side as most media.

Oh, it's this comparison again. 17 Nugent for ever posting that false picture and popularizing this whataboutist attempt at normalizing J6.

- over 300 were arrested at the Kavanaugh protest.
- no guns were shot, no police were brutally beaten, no members of congress had to escape mere moments before possibly being assaulted or worse.
- no attempt to overthrow the government took place, based on what I have learned. It was a protest and arrests were made for reasons such as 'blocking the hallway' and 'unfurling a banner'.banner. A couple people blocked an elevator with someone in it, and that is wrong to do.

No, that was not a threat to our Democracy. It was not a violent insurrection.
It also was not the fully the correct way to protest and people were arrested.

Are we comparing that and J6 as somehow being equal in threat?

Also, Twitter allowed extensive coverage of the Kavanaugh protest, and traditional media covered it heavily.
I am just not sure what the point is on this.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Stopping bots isn’t censorship. Not in the form he is talking about anyways.

Sure it's censorship.

From wiki since it is more eloquent than I...
Internet censorship is the control or suppression of what can be accessed, published, or viewed on the Internet enacted by regulators, or on their own initiative.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I’m curious which side you think would lose more if we made the US house and senate take an actual civics exam.

A safe bet is that the majority would lose more than the minority, since they have more people that are possibly morons. So it would depend on which state or period in time we are talking about.
As for the current US Congress?...I don't think it would heavily swing one way or the other. There are a handful of outliers on the right that are straight fear mongering morons that feat on outrage politics and there are a handful of outliers on the left who would let their emotions guide their answers instead of actual reality.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
About once a month I am utterly convinced you’re a really slowly-played satire account and are giving us little tells.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login