Will MSU football ever recover?

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
Ole Miss has a med school, law school, and engineering school. We have one of those. Not sure how many State grads go to med school and law school there. Maybe we can recruit some more car dealers to be State fans. They like being donors.
I read somewhere recently that there were more State grads at UMMC than OM grads.

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
Then please explain Texas AM. They have more money than just about any school in the SEC. They bought the number one recruiting class several years ago and what have they done. They just lost to a team that has a lot less money. Explain teams like Tulane Arizona Missouri. They don’t have that much monies yet they are winning.

COACHING

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
This is incorrect as well. They don’t only allow UM grads into those schools. A lot of State grads have to swallow their pride and go to an ole miss professional school.
I didn't say they only allowed UM grads. This should have tipped you off: "Not sure how many State grads go to med school and law school there." Anyway, it's an advantage. Do any State grads who go to professional schools there marry UM grads and become Rebels? Or do our grads stay State fans and donate?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Ole Miss's endowment is about $140 million more than State's endowment. That's not chump change. So what's their NIL vs. ours? The answer isn't "well we could do the same as..." What's reality and not what ifs or what you want it to be?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Then please explain Texas AM. They have more money than just about any school in the SEC. They bought the number one recruiting class several years ago and what have they done. They just lost to a team that has a lot less money. Explain teams like Tulane Arizona Missouri. They don’t have that much monies yet they are winning.

COACHING
It takes more than money. Saban at A&M would have a couple of Nattys. Look at OU or Okie State or USC. Money is a factor, a major factor. It's not the only one. Ole Miss has more money than State and a better coach and recruiter.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Success at State is 7-9 wins. Get a coach who can do that and schedule some cupcakes like we did this year to guarantee 3-4 wins annually. Make sure season tix holders don't sit there and watch us lose more than win.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yes, the program can recover. But we definitely have some underlying issues.

We have a football culture problem at Miss. State, always have. Fans will bail anytime something goes wrong. We did it with Mullen too. The boosters aren't connected and committed enough, and there just aren't as many of them. Our ex-players seem to distance themselves from the program. I have no idea how to change this, other than to just go against the grain. We have to quit trying to be like other programs, and trying to appease other programs/media/conference/etc. We are way too worried about what people think. In other words, an inferiority complex, and it's not attractive.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

COACHING
What richer schools have those 3 teams beat? Missouri still lost to LSU and Georgia. NIL has just started. Wait till the schools really figure out how to best utilize it. We haven’t even gone thru a 4 year recruiting cycle yet.

A&M has done less with more for years now. Worst return on investment in college football.

Obviously coaches are always going to have an impact (and can certainly waste good talent) but point is it’s going to be near impossible to make even the expanded playoffs if you can’t spend top 25 money.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
They have MUCH deeper pockets from a Cigar-boys perspective, which is where it's at nowadays. They also have a proven coach who is having a great year. They are about to bury us in every respect, taking every recruit we both want.
It has and always will be about the money invested.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Some of you still have no clue how NIL is going to change college sports. Arguing how we compare to UM is pointless. We’re both going to be small fish in a few years. NIL is just getting started. Even UM is struggling to put together a top 25 class and we all know how obsessed they are with recruiting rankings. Neither of our schools have the money to keep up long term. Recruits will go where the money is. Like I said in another thread - look at Floridas current class. They suck balls and have one of the best classes in the nation. Results and coaches will be meaningless. Players are going to sign where they can get the most money.
This

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
With NIL, transfer portal and our inability to keep up with the rest of the SEC, is our football program toast? I know that sounds alarmist but think about it. We are not going to get a talented enough roster, and that means we will not get & keep a talented enough coaching staff. It just snowballs from here, each successive disastrous season just digging the hole deeper & deeper. Fans lose all interest...stop going to games. Alum who are willing to give eventually give up and stop caring as well.

What players would want to come here so much that they don't care about money and don't care about getting coached up by a staff that might help them get to the NFL? What coaches would want to coach here knowing they have almost no chance to compete for talent, etc.?

I knew in my bones NIL & loosened transfer rules would be really bad for us. Mike Leach gave us a puncher's chance due to being able to have some success with a less talented roster, winning enough to attract players who felt his system offered a better chance to put up big numbers, etc.

Did our football program die with Mike Leach? If the rules stay the same or get worse, I just get the feeling we are done.
Holy s h i t. Y’all are some dorks. WiLl ThE pRoGrAM evEr ReCovEr?! Lol

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I didn't say they only allowed UM grads. This should have tipped you off: "Not sure how many State grads go to med school and law school there." Anyway, it's an advantage. Do any State grads who go to professional schools there marry UM grads and become Rebels? Or do our grads stay State fans and donate?
UMC does not make you more likely to become a rebel. If you start out MSU it does the opposite actually.

Reactions: patdog
Sep 16, 2023
Oh my. If I had a dollar for every time we were gonna get left behind by Ole Miss, we’d have the largest NIL in the country. There are times that it looked like one or the other of us should for sure have a lot more long term success against the other but it’s never panned out that way. Even If they crawfish into Atlanta this season they are 25 years after we did. That seems behind. If they fail to take advantage of this weak slate of SEC teams this season, I don’t think we will see it at this level again soon
no one cares about what happened yesterday, only what happened today.

Anon1664561041

Sep 30, 2022
With NIL, transfer portal and our inability to keep up with the rest of the SEC, is our football program toast? I know that sounds alarmist but think about it. We are not going to get a talented enough roster, and that means we will not get & keep a talented enough coaching staff. It just snowballs from here, each successive disastrous season just digging the hole deeper & deeper. Fans lose all interest...stop going to games. Alum who are willing to give eventually give up and stop caring as well.

What players would want to come here so much that they don't care about money and don't care about getting coached up by a staff that might help them get to the NFL? What coaches would want to coach here knowing they have almost no chance to compete for talent, etc.?

I knew in my bones NIL & loosened transfer rules would be really bad for us. Mike Leach gave us a puncher's chance due to being able to have some success with a less talented roster, winning enough to attract players who felt his system offered a better chance to put up big numbers, etc.

Did our football program die with Mike Leach? If the rules stay the same or get worse, I just get the feeling we are done.
Yes

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Being “Mr. Moral High Ground” and “wanting to do it the right way” doesn’t overlap with being a great football program.
Is it an MSU culture thing? I mean Cohen left and hired freeze. Wonder if he had any input at all on that one. I don’t see him doing that at State if there were some candidate that offered a comparable situation

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Is it an MSU culture thing? I mean Cohen left and hired freeze. Wonder if he had any input at all on that one. I don’t see him doing that at State if there were some candidate that offered a comparable situation
I agree. We would never have hired Beard either. Having standards is a lost art in collegiate sports. Of course, we were accused of the same when we hired Jackie Sherrill.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I agree. We would never have hired Beard either. Having standards is a lost art in collegiate sports. Of course, we were accused of the same when we hired Jackie Sherrill.
And that hire paid off.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
All you guys declaring the end and how poor we are etc etc obviously don't notice how much parity is now in college football. It's the weakest SEC I can remember the last almost 20 years. It's not the end. It's not over. I am convinced we've got a bunch of miserable fans though.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Not from the running reads I have seen.
Talking about his athletic ability and running strength. It would take a good year or more for him to perfect it, but with the right coaching, he would be very dangerous running the option. Reminds me of USM's Reggie Collier back in the day.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Yes, the program can recover. But we definitely have some underlying issues.

We have a football culture problem at Miss. State, always have. Fans will bail anytime something goes wrong. We did it with Mullen too. The boosters aren't connected and committed enough, and there just aren't as many of them. Our ex-players seem to distance themselves from the program. I have no idea how to change this, other than to just go against the grain. We have to quit trying to be like other programs, and trying to appease other programs/media/conference/etc. We are way too worried about what people think. In other words, an inferiority complex, and it's not attractive.

Almost none of that is true. Boosters are controlling. They're connected but some like this to be their "toy" & more concerned with access and what they get instead of winning. Players are distant. They're on campus all the time in the offseason and even off weeks some.
You're right about the fans but that's not the actual program, and you're right about the "blue collar, good ole boy BS".

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Talking about his athletic ability and running strength. It would take a good year or more for him to perfect it, but with the right coaching, he would be very dangerous running the option. Reminds me of USM's Reggie Collier back in the day.
His play really seems like the result of poor coaching (shocker, I know), but I can't think of a reason that someone looks that indecisive/uncomfortable out there except he doesn't know what to do. Very non-committal, especially when it is clearly time to just take off and let that athleticism shine.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Mullen inherited a **** roster and had us going bowling his second year and he was one bad play away from beating LSU his first year and getting to a bowl. Now there is NIL. You can fix a bad recruiting class really fast these days.

Reactions: Dawgg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
They have MUCH deeper pockets from a Cigar-boys perspective, which is where it's at nowadays. They also have a proven coach who is having a great year. They are about to bury us in every respect, taking every recruit we both want.
I don't know that it's the cigar boys making the difference. I think it's all the people raking in $300k to $500k a year where their culture makes a difference. As someone mentioned, they like to brag about paying players a lot. Our alumni are much more likely to if not be bothered by it, not be interested in it. As far as I know, cigar boys are still ponying up. But I don't think our guys making $500k a year are nearly as likely to throw $5k-10k a year at NIL.

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022

have you not noticed the decade cycles that MSU football goes through since 1970. 70s up; 80s down; 90s up; 2000s down; 2010s up, and guess where we're heading this decade?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
have you not noticed the decade cycles that MSU football goes through since 1970. 70s up; 80s down; 90s up; 2000s down; 2010s up, and guess where we're heading this decade?
Through all that time the one constant was our membership in the SEC carrying us through the bad times. I'm just not sure that's something we can absolutely bank on going forward..... IE this potentially a really bad time for us to suck.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
And that hire paid off.
To be fair, in today's college football landscape, Jackie probably would have gotten fired in 1993, 1995, 1996, and maybe 1997 if there was a viable candidate ready to replace him.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I stand behind what I posted last year. A lot more of you agree these days.

mcfly.sixpack

Mar 21, 2009
And yet, they’ve been no better than us over the last 30 years. The real difference is they’re committed and are adapting to the new rules much better than we are. He’ll, we were better than them LAST year with all the new rules in place.
The last 30 years does not matter, the last 4 does and they are miles ahead of us.
Mullen inherited a **** roster and had us going bowling his second year and he was one bad play away from beating LSU his first year and getting to a bowl. Now there is NIL. You can fix a bad recruiting class really fast these days.
Yes you can but you actually have to do it and we haven’t been able to in the last 2 classes. We’ve been told time and time again our NIL is in the same neighborhood as the rest of the conference. Prove it. Can’t sit back anymore and watch kids go elsewhere. Spend 8-10 million and get a competitive roster. Again, we’ve been told we have it. Spend it. Lenny is a first year coach with a non competitive roster. He has no chance this year. Give him a real sec roster to work with and we’re still getting our asses kicked by Toledo that’s a whole other argument.

bannerdawg

Aug 15, 2013
And yet, they’ve been no better than us over the last 30 years. The real difference is they’re committed and are adapting to the new rules much better than we are. He’ll, we were better than them LAST year with all the new rules in place.
Uh, they won 11 games and beat us 17-7.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
My desire to be dirty like Ole Miss has a line. That line is castration of a bull. I truly don’t want to have character like Ole Miss. Ever.
I’d rather win. Morality doesn’t get you anywhere in this game. You’re either corrupt or you’re losing.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022

COACHING
They also don’t lose to Toledo

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login