Will MSU football ever recover?

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
With NIL, transfer portal and our inability to keep up with the rest of the SEC, is our football program toast? I know that sounds alarmist but think about it. We are not going to get a talented enough roster, and that means we will not get & keep a talented enough coaching staff. It just snowballs from here, each successive disastrous season just digging the hole deeper & deeper. Fans lose all interest...stop going to games. Alum who are willing to give eventually give up and stop caring as well.

What players would want to come here so much that they don't care about money and don't care about getting coached up by a staff that might help them get to the NFL? What coaches would want to coach here knowing they have almost no chance to compete for talent, etc.?

I knew in my bones NIL & loosened transfer rules would be really bad for us. Mike Leach gave us a puncher's chance due to being able to have some success with a less talented roster, winning enough to attract players who felt his system offered a better chance to put up big numbers, etc.

Did our football program die with Mike Leach? If the rules stay the same or get worse, I just get the feeling we are done.
It died as soon as the modern era of play college football to get to the league dawned. It’s just taken us this long to start burying it.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
I said this was going to happen way back when this NIL transfer thing was approved. Quit splitting our NIL with baseball and basketball and we can recover. That’s what Ole Miss did. Otherwise, we can’t compete in football. Not to mention we’ll just be average or worse in baseball and basketball.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Just look 90 miles northeast. There's nothing they're doing that we can't do if we commit to it.
Last 5 words are key and I don't necessarily disagree in premise but in practice meh. That school has really only cared about football forever and now it's finally paying off with a personality coach and money pouring in.....we are a different animal.

Reactions: patdog

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Clear sarcasterisks! A moment of levity on an otherwise crappy night/season. Unless we start seeing rules that do not apply across the board I see NIL as just another facet of college football that we deal with like every other team. It is possible that it is a death knell, however I find it more likely that AI might coach better than what we have at present.
Maybe we could be the first program with an AI coach and then funnel the salary savings into NIL for the people with their hands out ****

patdog

May 28, 2007
Last 5 words are key and I don't necessarily disagree in premise but in practice meh. That school has really only cared about football forever and now it's finally paying off with a personality coach and money pouring in.....we are a different animal.
Unfortunately, you’re right. We have the team & program we have today because this is the team & program the President, AD, head coach & staff, major donors, and a large part of the ordinary fanbase deserves. Unless there’s major changes in all of these, not much will change.

Reactions: HRMSU

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Oh my. If I had a dollar for every time we were gonna get left behind by Ole Miss, we’d have the largest NIL in the country. There are times that it looked like one or the other of us should for sure have a lot more long term success against the other but it’s never panned out that way. Even If they crawfish into Atlanta this season they are 25 years after we did. That seems behind. If they fail to take advantage of this weak slate of SEC teams this season, I don’t think we will see it at this level again soon
The worm always turns.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Some of you still have no clue how NIL is going to change college sports. Arguing how we compare to UM is pointless. We’re both going to be small fish in a few years. NIL is just getting started. Even UM is struggling to put together a top 25 class and we all know how obsessed they are with recruiting rankings. Neither of our schools have the money to keep up long term. Recruits will go where the money is. Like I said in another thread - look at Floridas current class. They suck balls and have one of the best classes in the nation. Results and coaches will be meaningless. Players are going to sign where they can get the most money.
They have always done that. What rock have you been living under?

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I didn't say they only allowed UM grads. This should have tipped you off: "Not sure how many State grads go to med school and law school there." Anyway, it's an advantage. Do any State grads who go to professional schools there marry UM grads and become Rebels? Or do our grads stay State fans and donate?
We don't become Rebels. You become more of a Dawg because of the abuse you have to take from them on a daily basis. You need to give up on this. It's not an advantage for them, not when it comes to sports.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login