Will Rogers Rumors

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
According to many people here, we won nine games despite having a schitty quarterback and an offense that sucks. So now that we will have a new offense that satisfies them and possibly a much better quarterback according to them, there is no excuse not to win at least the same number of games we did with the sucky offense and terrible QB.
That's exactly right. And with all the guys returning to this #35 rated defense they should dominate next year. So get a new QB and see how it goes. Should do just as well since they won't have to carry Will and CML

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
“I'm not going to pay a whole lot of attention anymore. It's not worth it.”

Same - I spend a lot of time and money going to the FB games driving up from the coast. I’m at 90% now on not renewing my season tix. If the players are not gonna be loyal, why the hell should I be?

I’ve “laughed” at posters that have mentioned that NIL and the transfer portal are ruining college football. I was wrong.

He was literally trying to get players out of the portal last week. 17 these 19-yr olds that are apparently entitled. If this crap keeps up the money will dry up because people similar to me will stop coming.
A lot already have. Just look at our home attendance average for the last several years. And see why we keep converting undesirable seating into comfortable premium sections. Might as well go ahead and bite the bullet and chairback the entire stadium, lower the capacity to around 50K. That's about what we average now anyway other than the BAMA & OM games. I wonder what Selmon will think about converting the stadium to a nicer more comfortable product vs losing capacity. This isn't the kind of problem he was used to facing at OK. And won't be the problem Cohen will face at Auburn either.

Reactions: mo7888

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I'm not going to pay a whole lot of attention anymore. It's not worth it.

It's Arnett's show now and he'll pay the price if his decisions result in a **** product next season. If it's a great product he'll reap the rewards.

I hope he's got some genius in him and he's making all the right moves. I am a little worried there's a level of Type A here that could be bad if there's not enough genius.
Not sure how the college football transfer portal or NIL is Zach Arnett’s fault

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I feel reasonably certain that he had been instructed not to run., Don't think we had a viable backup, And a serious injury would impact the rest of our season.
Hadn’t thought about that.

On another note, I do find it odd that he would try to bolt before giving the guy a chance. He doesn’t strike me as that kind of guy.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Hadn’t thought about that.

On another note, I do find it odd that he would try to bolt before giving the guy a chance. He doesn’t strike me as that kind of guy.

There were a few post game comments from CML where he questioned some QB decision making. I took some of those to mean he thought the QB should have run some more and not hold the ball so long. Maybe I didn't interpret those right. But if Will is looking to bail right off the bat with a new OC, maybe that is what CML meant.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Wait, I know this one! 2014 and 15.

But I absolutely agree with you that anyone expecting a 9 win season next year is just setting themselves up for disappointment, and that would be true even if we still had Leach with us.
Even though State returns a lot - my worry is the swing games (Auburn, Arkansas, A&M) are on the road. You have to think Auburn and Arkansas will be better. I even thought this if Leach was returning. Even years are better for us in the current setup of the schedule.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
And what are they going to replace it with?

While it isn’t surprising, it is disappointing to see the reaction of some adults when the athletes who are busting their asses want a piece of a very big pie.
Not sure about everyone else, but it’s pretty easy for me to replace it with hanging out with my kids. Honestly should have done it sooner…

ETA: Wanting a piece of the pie is not what’s going on here. They’re wanting the whole pie - every single one of them. And “the pie” is drying up. It took me 13-yrs to pay off my student loans. I’ll be Got Damned if I pay any money to pay for some kid besides mine to go to school moving forward. Just canceled by BI monthly…

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I was hoping Will and his experience was something we could count on.

I'm going to wait for this to all shake out before I examine it. We have the portal and we still have the Feb signing day as well and every defection adds a spot to offer someone. I dont want to get deep in the portal merry go round.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Even though State returns a lot - my worry is the swing games (Auburn, Arkansas, A&M) are on the road. You have to think Auburn and Arkansas will be better. I even thought this if Leach was returning. Even years are better for us in the current setup of the schedule.
Except Arkansas should be WAY worse…

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Will is not going to make any NFL money. A guy that just won his second natty, and he WAS the reason they won them, is not getting much NFL discussion. So this is Will's one chance to make some big money from football. It is the smart move for him .

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You probably aren’t trying to be myopic but next year isn’t the measuring stick. He should/will be given reasonable time to do his thing. I was exited to see a year 4 under CML. Hope arnett does well enough that I see year 4 under him.

This. We made our decision. Now it's time to get to work. Arnett will be given time along with the OC unless we have a total meltdown on the field.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I think this might be a good time to suggest everyone back away from the recruiting/NIL/portal rumors and tune back in sometime during July. You can't control any of it and at the end of the day all you get is a few more points added to your blood pressure reading. Just back away.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I was hoping Will and his experience was something we could count on.

I'm going to wait for this to all shake out before I examine it. We have the portal and we still have the Feb signing day as well and every defection adds a spot to offer someone. I dont want to get deep in the portal merry go round.

He hasn't left yet. I think there is a great chance of him staying and even Tulu returning. Just have to get the staff and them on the same page.

Reactions: NTDawg

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
A move to the PAC12 would be ideal for Will. They don’t play defense out there, and any benefit he provides is neutralized by average and above defenses.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I hate change and I'm sure most of the players hate change but it's always inevitable. By next fall camp everything will be smoothed out and starting to come together. Next year we will all be cheering for the team and hoping for all the success fir errbody

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
I love Will Rogers. I don’t blame him for doing what’s best for him, as we all would do the same. Likewise if we can get Walker Howard it could be a huge upgrade. I believe Walker Howard’s family is from Jones County Mississippi originally.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I made the comment the other day that we better hope Will doesn't get hurt. Now I think we better hope he doesn't leave.
We will be alright. The death of Leach 17ed up our upswing in our football team. Morehead 17ed up the last one, and congestive heart failure 17ed up this one. Rebuild is on. The rebuild is much easier with Will and Tulu, but between the two I want Tulu. Tulu has a ceiling, Will has reached his.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Don't we have a pretty good OL returning This Spring? Didn't they seem to be improving towards the end?

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
How many SEC games did we win this year because we had Rogers at QB and not because of our defense or the other teams QB being out?

How did Will do against LSU, KY, Auburn, BAMA, Ole Miss, Illinois, Georgia? The only decent games he had were against UPig and A&M and both of those games all he had to do is not lose the game.
I think much of the criticsm on will is fair game. But where you have a QB w/ "questions" you typically find WR's with "questions". Talent tends to cluster. That said, was I the only one that saw a 17-ton of dropped passes this year? Hell I could put a highlight reel together on # 0's time at state.

Edit: And for balance, notice that # 85 never so much as looked at the field again for punt returns after the lsu debacle.

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Not sure about everyone else, but it’s pretty easy for me to replace it with hanging out with my kids. Honestly should have done it sooner…

ETA: Wanting a piece of the pie is not what’s going on here. They’re wanting the whole pie - every single one of them. And “the pie” is drying up. It took me 13-yrs to pay off my student loans. I’ll be Got Damned if I pay any money to pay for some kid besides mine to go to school moving forward. Just canceled by BI monthly…
My question was what are the networks going to replace college football with?

Reactions: onewoof

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
We will be alright. The death of Leach 17ed up our upswing in our football team. Morehead 17ed up the last one, and congestive heart failure 17ed up this one. Rebuild is on. The rebuild is much easier with Will and Tulu, but between the two I want Tulu. Tulu has a ceiling, Will has reached his.
Good summation.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
I love Will Rogers. I don’t blame him for doing what’s best for him, as we all would do the same. Likewise if we can get Walker Howard it could be a huge upgrade. I believe Walker Howard’s family is from Jones County Mississippi originally.
Walker Howard???

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yes but I do think Will might actually benefit with this more balanced offense. High efficiency. Balanced. It might make him better and take the pressure off. He also won't be forced into threading the needle or throwing into triple coverage actually having a run game and play action. I could see more explosive plays with guys being wide open .

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Damn Will got you in your feelings today**

I hope Will decides to stay because I think a QB with as much experience as him will be a good thing. However, if he’s leaving because we told him we are exploring bringing him competition for him, then he should go. I don’t want a QB scared of competition

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Everyone knows that with Rogers at QB we'd never, ever, ever win 9 games.** Dude stepped up for us since he was a freshman. He's not always gonna throw for 400 yards/game.

Reactions: NTDawg

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I'm guessing we throw a bit less and may require a QB run depending on the defense. I love Will's heart, his reads on mid distance and how well he worked with Leach. You have to ask yourself though, if you get a true mobile QB and one that throws well down field, that can take a hit as well like it's nothing... You might say I don't like our offense being so heavily one dimensional.

Who knows. We will see

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login