World Cup: 2-0 halftime lead for Argentina…

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Just my 2 cents, but the PK setup does have a pretty big team element to it. You have to find 5 guys on your team who can kick with exact power and precision, can handle the pressure, can handle the mental goading from the GK, etc. It's not like Argentina can let Messi kick all 5 times.

Not to mention, you also must have a world class GK who can stop the other 5 guys from making all 5 of their "easy" shots. So it's at least 6 on 6 if it doesn't go past the original 5 shots.

Those are all fair points. But when I say team aspect I mean the players working together to achieve an objective. Its a given that it takes a deep roster of talented players to win in any OT format. Its just one on one as it is now that seems contradictory to the normal flow of soccer. You turn it more like baseball where there is almost like a batting order, and every result is either a home run or a strikeout.

Imagine if baseball games were decided by a “pitch-off”, where a pitcher on each team throws one pitch to each of 5 hitters. There are no fielders except the catcher, and no baserunners. If its a ball, the hitter wins. If its a strike, the pitcher wins. If its hit and lands in fair territory, the hitter wins. Foul ball, pitcher wins. Simple as that for as many iterations as it takes. You take out the team on both sides….can’t record an out in the field, can’t advance baserunners with base hits, can’t sac bunt, can’t steal bases, can’t hit and run, no double plays, no sac flys, no home runs or even base hits, no nothing. Just a binary result each time involving only 2 of 50 players combined in those two dugouts. Doesn’t seem right, does it?

Alexi_Lalas

May 7, 2014
I think it always just ends up coming back to PK’s no matter what solution they come up with.

I personally don’t think it’s necessary to start back further- as you can see if you watched a lot of the games (several went to kicks), plenty of stops/misses from that distance. The kicker usually has to put a lot of pace on the ball to get it by the keeper, and the harder you smash it the less accurate you get. Hence a lot of the misses. If everyone was making them and you rarely saw stops, I’d agree. As it is, though, several keepers had 2 saves in PK’s- that’s pretty damn good.
One option hasn't been discussed and is the only right answer:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think it always just ends up coming back to PK’s no matter what solution they come up with.

I personally don’t think it’s necessary to start back further- as you can see if you watched a lot of the games (several went to kicks), plenty of stops/misses from that distance. The kicker usually has to put a lot of pace on the ball to get it by the keeper, and the harder you smash it the less accurate you get. Hence a lot of the misses. If everyone was making them and you rarely saw stops, I’d agree. As it is, though, several keepers had 2 saves in PK’s- that’s pretty damn good.
There were a lot of PK saves in this World Cup. In one of the England cup finals last year (can't remember if League or FA Cup), the Liverpool-Chelsea match went to the 11th PK at 10-10, so the two goalkeepers had to kick against each other. Becker made his, the Chelsea keeper missed.

Reactions: CEO2044

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If the team that gets the ball first scored on opening possession, it’s over. Unless that changed recently.

Yes, that’s still the case in the NFL but only if the team possessing first scores a TD.

While the same principle would technically apply in a soccer sudden death OT, the chances of a team going down and scoring a goal on the opening possession of OT without the other team getting so much as a touch would be extremely low. In the NFL, I’d say without looking it up that they get the TD probably 20-25% of the time, maybe more.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This should ultimately be America's contribution to the game once the rest of the world realizes how good it is.
Did this actually happen? But it is not good enough for World Cup overtime? I'm starting to again to believe this is a communist sport after all.

Alexi_Lalas

May 7, 2014
Did this actually happen? But it is not good enough for World Cup overtime? I'm starting to again to believe this is a communist sport after all.
Lol, yep. From 1996-1999. If I remember correctly it was used for any game that ended in a draw not just playoffs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login