Wright/Rogers - Let's get this out of the way

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
All week I have seen the Will Rogneeshees spouting off things like "Now we get to see Cam Newton 2.0!", "Finally getting your wish, King Wright gonna save the day!" and other similar strawman digs at those who have called for more Mike Wright usage this season.

Just because we wanted to see Mike Wright get a shot at QB DOES NOT mean that we are saying he's gonna save the season or even that he's a "better" QB than Rogers. Wanting to see Wright play also does not mean "Will sucks, don't let him back on the field". The calls for Wright were/are all based on which player could be more effective given issues with OL and or schematic advantages. The Rogers injury is objectively bad as it puts all our eggs in one basket. I've wanted to see what Mike Wright can do if given more than a handful of plays per game, but I also wish we had the option of switching back to Rogers if it doesn't work. We've seen Rogers play well this year and we've seen him play awful.

If Wright plays poorly tomorrow, this board will be flooded with "I told you so" posts and I think that would be terribly misguided. No one has ever claimed he is our savior only suggested that if given the opportunity he could run a more effective offense than Rogers. After his Arizona, LSU and Bama performances, I don't think that's really a crazy suggestion. If he is out, we will never know how Rogers would have done vs Arky, regardless of how well Wright plays. I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears, but I wanted to at least throw it out there in preparation of the game in case Wright doesn't play well. And if he does play well, lot of folks on this board gonna get really quiet.

Last edited:

Ghostman

Apr 12, 2021
I would not be surprised to see the coaching staff put together a game plan that plays to Wright's strengths and him have a good game vs UPig. However, if he does indeed have to play for multiple games and other teams defensive coordinators see how the coaches want to use him, each game going forward could get more difficult. I hope he plays well in every game that he plays in.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
All week I have seen the Will Rogneeshees spouting off things like "Now we get to see Cam Newton 2.0!", "Finally getting your wish, King Wright gonna save the day!" and other similar strawman digs at those who have called for more Mike Wright usage this season.

Just because we wanted to see Mike Wright get a shot at QB DOES NOT mean that we are saying he's gonna save the season or even that he's a "better" QB than Rogers. Wanting to see Wright play also does not mean "Will sucks, don't let him back on the field". The calls for Wright were/are all based on which player could be more effective given issues with OL and or schematic advantages. The Rogers injury is objectively bad as it puts all our eggs in one basket. I've wanted to see what Mike Wright can do if given more than a handful of plays per game, but I also wish we had the option of switching back to Rogers if it doesn't work. We've seen Rogers play well this year and we've seen him play awful.

If Wright plays poorly tomorrow, this board will be flooded with "I told you so" posts and I think that would be terribly misguided. No one has ever claimed he is our savior only suggested that if given the opportunity he could run a more effective offense than Rogers. After his Arizona, LSU and Bama performances, I don't think that really a crazy suggestion. If he is out, we will never know how Rogers would have done vs Arky, regardless of how well Wright plays. I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears, but I wanted to at least throw it out there in preparation of the game in case Wright doesn't play well. And if he does play well, lot of folks on this board gonna get really quiet.
An actual coherent, well reasoned post. I'm not used to seeing this from State fans.

Season 1 Good Job GIF by PBS

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

If Wright plays poorly tomorrow, this board will be flooded with "I told you so" posts and I think that would be terribly misguided. No one has ever claimed he is our savior only suggested that if given the opportunity he could run a more effective offense than Rogers. After his Arizona, LSU and Bama performances, I don't think that really a crazy suggestion. If he is out, we will never know how Rogers would have done vs Arky, regardless of how well Wright plays. I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears, but I wanted to at least throw it out there in preparation of the game in case Wright doesn't play well. And if he does play well, lot of folks on this board gonna get really quiet.
Let's do be clear. Wright has been seen and evaluated from day 1 on campus. In fact, it started BEFORE he ever got here. So yes, he got his shot! Gets to prove himself daily.

Friggin WMU even knew what to do when he came in.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
2 QB systems aren't that great. I'm not saying they can't work, but you better know what you're doing. Mullen made it work with Leak/Tebow and Russell/Dak but you're talking about Tebow and Dak as the second option - those are insane talents who could get first downs anytime you had less than 5 yards to gain. Can't defend that. Wright is definitely fast but he doesn't have what they have. He doesn't fall forward and move the chains.

I am on record saying that I do not think Wright will make a difference at all, and that it's Rogers passing that is our biggest advantage. I hate the 'backup QB is the answer' crap, it's low hanging fruit. Mind-numbing lack of thought. But I acknowledge they are totally different players, so it's not exactly Todd Jordan/Derrick Taite, etc.. If we smoke Arkansas' defense with Wright, I'll be here to eat my crow.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I would not be surprised to see the coaching staff put together a game plan that plays to Wright's strengths and him have a good game vs UPig. However, if he does indeed have to play for multiple games and other teams defensive coordinators see how the coaches want to use him, each game going forward could get more difficult. I hope he plays well in every game that he plays in.
Our schedule isn't loaded with any really good teams. All can be beaten. Not must talent on those teams either or their coaching just sucks.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Will is 11th in the SEC in yards, 11th in comp %, 12th in ypa, 6th in sacks taken, 10th in QBR. But, he's not throwing a bunch of picks , he's 4th best there. So unless we throw picks, I don't see Wright being much worse.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022

Wr still have the same staff that took a QB who has played in an air raid type offense ever since he could grip a football and completely move away from that from game one?

Reactions: Ranchdawg

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Let's do be clear. Wright has been seen and evaluated from day 1 on campus. In fact, it started BEFORE he ever got here. So yes, he got his shot! Gets to prove himself daily.

So you are basing this off limited snaps, knowing that Wright wasn’t going to get legitimate playing time with Jesus Rogers in the picture. That’s bold, Cotton.

Reactions: pmack3641

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022

Never ceases to amaze me how people will jump from "The coaches know what they are doing" (by sticking with Rogers) to "The coaches don't know what they are doing" (by not running the Air Raid)

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Will is 11th in the SEC in yards, 11th in comp %, 12th in ypa, 6th in sacks taken, 10th in QBR. But, he's not throwing a bunch of picks , he's 4th best there. So unless we throw picks, I don't see Wright being much worse.
B-b-b-b-but Will is a gunslinger! Errrr Raid! If only we had retained Hollingshithead!!

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So the reverse of what Leach did with KJ Costello? Funny how I never see that brought up.
Here's a hot take I have, that I don't expect people to agree with.

I do think, if not for COVID, Costello would have been much better. I think once it started spiraling for him, it was what it was. Practices were all jacked up that spring/summer/fall, etc. And I think that LSU game was an illustration of what the Air Raid could be with talented players. We had Costello, 4 star Shavers, 4 start Hill, a 5th year Osirus and Javonta Payton, who's obviously pretty good. I know ole Pelini played man to man but with more practice, I think that team could have been much better.

I just hate that we will never see what the Air Raid could have been 5-6-7 years into it, especially with a guy like Parson. Just sucks.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
If so, why couldn't this staff find a way to play to Will's strengths? Based on the fact they totally abandoned what we all knew will was good at, I'm struggling to believe they'll do any different with Wright.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
None of that has to do with Rogers ability. It has to do with coaching within this system.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
So you are basing this off limited snaps, knowing that Wright wasn’t going to get legitimate playing time with Jesus Rogers in the picture. That’s bold, Cotton.
Either you are saying that the staff is incompetent or they are not. Which is it? Limited snaps is nowhere near it. He has years at Vandy where he got beat out by a freshman in 2022. He has been giving every opportunity at practice. That's not limited snaps. That's alot. He was throwing INTs to OUR defense every week in practice.

So no, I'm not basing that of limited snaps.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Wr still have the same staff that took a QB who has played in an air raid type offense ever since he could grip a football and completely move away from that from game one?
And yet he’s still been just as good….and the offense has been better.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Never ceases to amaze me how people will jump from "The coaches know what they are doing" (by sticking with Rogers) to "The coaches don't know what they are doing" (by not running the Air Raid)
This isn't that hard to grasp. We are tooled for AR. The HC lied and went in a totally different direction. They evaluate every day. And even this incompetent staff understands who gives us the best option. So it's 2 entirely different subjects.

AR or This system, our best option at QB was and is Rogers.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Here's a hot take I have, that I don't expect people to agree with.

I do think, if not for COVID, Costello would have been much better. I think once it started spiraling for him, it was what it was. Practices were all jacked up that spring/summer/fall, etc. And I think that LSU game was an illustration of what the Air Raid could be with talented players. We had Costello, 4 star Shavers, 4 start Hill, a 5th year Osirus and Javonta Payton, who's obviously pretty good. I know ole Pelini played man to man but with more practice, I think that team could have been much better.

I just hate that we will never see what the Air Raid could have been 5-6-7 years into it, especially with a guy like Parson. Just sucks.
Costello was hurt right after the LSU game. His arm was nowhere near the same. His injury, drop 8, Covid and Kylin getting his panties in a wad killed the remainder of the season. We just haven’t had a QB with arm talent since Dak that could push the ball down the field. Fitz could throw it a mile, but couldn’t hit the side of a barn with it.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
B-b-b-b-but Will is a gunslinger! Errrr Raid! If only we had retained Hollingshithead!!

If only the HC would not have lied about changing the offense. If only he had gone with what we are tooled for. Damn straight. This OL can not block in this system because our HC hired Friend and other OFFENSIVE staff members before even knowing who the OC was going to be.

Friend stated the week before the WMU game that we still don't know who to target in blocking.

YEP... Damn Straight he should not have made whole sale changes. Dumbest **** ever done by a MSU coach.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
If so, why couldn't this staff find a way to play to Will's strengths? Based on the fact they totally abandoned what we all knew will was good at, I'm struggling to believe they'll do any different with Wright.
Exactly

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

If Wright plays poorly tomorrow, this board will be flooded with "I told you so" posts and I think that would be terribly misguided. No one has ever claimed he is our savior only suggested that if given the opportunity he could run a more effective offense than Rogers. After his Arizona, LSU and Bama performances, I don't think that's really a crazy suggestion. If he is out, we will never know how Rogers would have done vs Arky, regardless of how well Wright plays. I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears, but I wanted to at least throw it out there in preparation of the game in case Wright doesn't play well. And if he does play well, lot of folks on this board gonna get really quiet.
BS a lot of fans were yelling about will rogers in the first 3 drives of LSU when we didn’t block a soul.

not blocked bc they were out talented or out hustled but bc we were lost.

Lot of morons say rogers has a weak arm. Same morons said he had a lot more zip on his all against South Carolina? Like he just woke up and said “I’m gonna throw it harder today”.

Yes there were some people saying they wanted to try something different and that’s ok but losing your mind after the Arizona game wasn’t the time.

Plenty of fans who were just being dumb or who are just dumb.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Fitz could throw it a mile, but couldn’t hit the side of a barn with it.
I'll always wonder what could have happened had we landed AJ Brown in 2016, and then had both him and Mullen in 2018. I think that would have opened up the pass game for Fitz a little bit.

Not to mention Brown accomplished nothing (win-wise) at Ole Miss. He would have been just as good, and drafted just as high, had he come to MSU. It's the one big piece we were missing.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Choo choo! The Rogers excuse train keeps a rollin.
Defend your position. Can you? Are you telling me that in this system the QB is protected? No you can't. But I can damn sure put videos and play by plays where the WRs were running the wrong routes and linemen blocking ghosts.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Agreed and by that same token we can also conclude that Roger's passing stats over the last three years "has to do with coaching within this system" and not his "ability".
BS! He still had to make the damn throws. He makes the throws in this system when giving time and the WRs are on the same page.

Again, that's coaching! Not players

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
BS a lot of fans were yelling about will rogers in the first 3 drives of LSU when we didn’t block a soul.

not blocked bc they were out talented or out hustled but bc we were lost.

Lot of morons say rogers has a weak arm. Same morons said he had a lot more zip on his all against South Carolina? Like he just woke up and said “I’m gonna throw it harder today”.

Yes there were some people saying they wanted to try something different and that’s ok but losing your mind after the Arizona game wasn’t the time.

Plenty of fans who were just being dumb or who are just dumb.
This... ALL DAY!

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Easiest prediction of the week.
Wright plays well and we win:
Arkansas has just given up after losing 5 straight. We’ll see what happens against a team that has a pulse
Wright plays well and we lose:
Rogers would have made that/those plays. Outcome would have been different.
Wright plays poorly:
You outlined it.

It is funny to me how all offseason everyone said all they cared about was the name on the front of the jersey not the names on the back because of transfers and NIL. Yet here we are.

Reactions: StateCollege

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Those will probably be drowned out by calls for the QB on the bench, who is clearly better than whoever is playing atm.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
By the end of the first quarter we are going to be having conversations about duck hunting.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Easiest prediction of the week.
Wright plays well and we win:
Arkansas has just given up after losing 5 straight. We’ll see what happens against a team that has a pulse
Wright plays well and we lose:
Rogers would have made that/those plays. Outcome would have been different.
Wright plays poorly:
You outlined it.

It is funny to me how all offseason everyone said all they cared about was the name on the front of the jersey not the names on the back because of transfers and NIL. Yet here we are.
Yeah, but what would anyone not named goat post?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Either you are saying that the staff is incompetent or they are not. Which is it? Limited snaps is nowhere near it. He has years at Vandy where he got beat out by a freshman in 2022. He has been giving every opportunity at practice. That's not limited snaps. That's alot. He was throwing INTs to OUR defense every week in practice.

So no, I'm not basing that of limited snaps.
Given every opportunity for what? Even you Rogers cultists knew that Wright wasn’t brought in to beat out your boy. The job was his regardless.
And just like last year, he has mostly stunk it up. But of course it is everybody else’s fault but Noodles.

• Haha

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
BS! He still had to make the damn throws. He makes the throws in this system when giving time and the WRs are on the same page.

Again, that's coaching! Not players
Well the answer should be clear cut then. If we don't change coaching staffs then Will should move on to the NFL and make some money.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Given every opportunity for what? Even you Rogers cultists knew that Wright wasn’t brought in to beat out your boy. The job was his regardless.
And just like last year, he has mostly stunk it up. But of course it is everybody else’s fault but Noodles.

You can chase your own tail in circles all you want. But I'm just going to point out that you can not refute with facts what's being stated. However... all I really need to do is post facts to refute yours..... because they are there.

1- 9 wins last season.
2- 70.33% in passes completed with a very large sample size. Did so while throwing 35/6 TDs in 2021 and 2022 to 8 ints.

Yep.. that's friggin horrible numbers!

WOW!

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The coaches have had 2 weeks to build a game plan that wright can execute… I’d hope they put something good out there. But I have my doubts.

Reactions: blitz2Win
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login