Wright/Rogers - Let's get this out of the way

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Yes, we are just as well coached as last year, by gosh you’ve convinced me, we need to give Arnett and this wonderful coaching staff an extension. let’s lock them in before a blue blood steals them.

So since we are comparing records, we should finish up 9-4 right ?
What do do think our record would have been last year with this year's defense ?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
What do do think our record would have been last year with this year's defense ?
Not nearly as good. This D is terrible. But eould Leach have hit the portal more ? Would Arnett be better as DC than Brock ? None of our portal guys from the offseason are contributing on D

Sep 16, 2023
Triple option with Wright, Tulu, and Marks. I think if we came out of the gates running it, we can catch some people by surprise

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
True… I think I’ve seen wright run about 5 plays… I sure hope he has more he can execute than that.
He’s thrown a few in games. Didn’t look good at all.
He’s thrown some in warmups. Didn’t look good at all.
I’m guessing he hasn’t looked good in practice.

Short of us installing the triple option in a week, I don’t think he’s going to do much if he can’t pass.

HOPEFULLY IM WRONG.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
R Kansas is very good in the turnover ratio. They have a few interceptions. If we fall behind and start trying to throw it around it could get ugly

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I'll always wonder what could have happened had we landed AJ Brown in 2016, and then had both him and Mullen in 2018. I think that would have opened up the pass game for Fitz a little bit.

Not to mention Brown accomplished nothing (win-wise) at Ole Miss. He would have been just as good, and drafted just as high, had he come to MSU. It's the one big piece we were missing.
Well, for most on here that's more important than being accurate. Personally, I don't care who QBs as long as we win. I have defended Will because our OL has been a revolving door for defensive players. Folks on here expect our QB to escape blitzes with ease and throw a 50 yard strike for a td on most plays. They just aren't realistic. Will and Mike are good, not great, QBs that have won big games in the SEC. That's not going to happen when the defense is giving up 42 points.

I've tried to change the narrative but we always come back to Mike vs Will. Everybody wants to say, "I called it!" None of this matters if the defense sucks.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I'll always wonder what could have happened had we landed AJ Brown in 2016, and then had both him and Mullen in 2018. I think that would have opened up the pass game for Fitz a little bit.

Not to mention Brown accomplished nothing (win-wise) at Ole Miss. He would have been just as good, and drafted just as high, had he come to MSU. It's the one big piece we were missing.
Well, for most on here that's more important than being accurate. Personally, I don't care who QBs as long as we win. I have defended Will because our OL has been a revolving door for defensive players. Folks on here expect our QB to escape blitzes with ease and throw a 50 yard strike for a td on most plays. They just aren't realistic. Will and Mike are good, not great, QBs that have won big games in the SEC. That's not going to happen when the defense is giving up 42 points.

I've tried to change the narrative but we always come back to Mike vs Will. Everybody wants to say, "I called it!" None of this matters if the defense sucks.

Reactions: StateCollege

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
All week I have seen the Will Rogneeshees spouting off things like "Now we get to see Cam Newton 2.0!", "Finally getting your wish, King Wright gonna save the day!" and other similar strawman digs at those who have called for more Mike Wright usage this season.

Just because we wanted to see Mike Wright get a shot at QB DOES NOT mean that we are saying he's gonna save the season or even that he's a "better" QB than Rogers. Wanting to see Wright play also does not mean "Will sucks, don't let him back on the field". The calls for Wright were/are all based on which player could be more effective given issues with OL and or schematic advantages. The Rogers injury is objectively bad as it puts all our eggs in one basket. I've wanted to see what Mike Wright can do if given more than a handful of plays per game, but I also wish we had the option of switching back to Rogers if it doesn't work. We've seen Rogers play well this year and we've seen him play awful.

If Wright plays poorly tomorrow, this board will be flooded with "I told you so" posts and I think that would be terribly misguided. No one has ever claimed he is our savior only suggested that if given the opportunity he could run a more effective offense than Rogers. After his Arizona, LSU and Bama performances, I don't think that's really a crazy suggestion. If he is out, we will never know how Rogers would have done vs Arky, regardless of how well Wright plays. I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears, but I wanted to at least throw it out there in preparation of the game in case Wright doesn't play well. And if he does play well, lot of folks on this board gonna get really quiet.

You are correct this 150th thread about the same subject is going to solve the issue.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Thank you for your input and interest in my thread.
You are welcome and while you're at it, won't you tell us how the defense is gonna play any better than they have just because we have a different quarterback. It wouldn't matter if we had Tom Brady at quarterback we can't stop the other team from scoring.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
You are welcome and while you're at it, won't you tell us how the defense is gonna play any better than they have just because we have a different quarterback. It wouldn't matter if we had Tom Brady at quarterback we can't stop the other team from scoring.
I assume that bleed you have is in your brain.

Please direct me to the post where I said the defense would play better or that we’re going to win. If anything, the tone of my original post was somewhat negative about tomorrow’s outcome.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I assume that bleed you have is in your brain.

Please direct me to the post where I said the defense would play better or that we’re going to win. If anything, the tone of my original post was somewhat negative about tomorrow’s outcome.
You really believe that, don't you? I don't have to read what you wrote because everyone of you guys has said the same thing. The defense is gonna become fired up and win the game for us because we're playing a different quarterback. I can tell you if we win, it won't have anything to do with our QB play. It's gonna have to do with us playing defense and whether we can actually stop the other team from scoring.

We have given up 24, 41, 37, 40, and 28 points for an average of 34 points a game. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure the attitude of our defense will not fix that. Our offense. is not gonna score more than 34 points a game, no matter who's running it.

ETA -. I'm really sorry I don't have a good comeback for your ibleed comment but I'm not used to writing sophomoric statements and I left the junior high recess a long time ago

Reactions: Ibdancin

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I would not be surprised to see the coaching staff put together a game plan that plays to Wright's strengths and him have a good game vs UPig. However, if he does indeed have to play for multiple games and other teams defensive coordinators see how the coaches want to use him, each game going forward could get more difficult. I hope he plays well in every game that he plays in.
But that State defense though !

patdog

May 28, 2007
He’s thrown a few in games. Didn’t look good at all.
He’s thrown some in warmups. Didn’t look good at all.
I’m guessing he hasn’t looked good in practice.

Short of us installing the triple option in a week, I don’t think he’s going to do much if he can’t pass.

HOPEFULLY IM WRONG.
And yet, his QB rating is 11 points higher than Rogers and he looked fine in warmups for the Arizona game (only one I saw live). He'll probably never be a great passer, but the story line that he just sucks is just wrong.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Pretty sure we have scored more than 34 points a few times. 7 times last year and twice this year so far. Outscoring people is the only way we ever win

Last edited:

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
You really believe that, don't you? I don't have to read what you wrote because everyone of you guys has said the same thing. The defense is gonna become fired up and win the game for us because we're playing a different quarterback. I can tell you if we win, it won't have anything to do with our QB play. It's gonna have to do with us playing defense and whether we can actually stop the other team from scoring.

We have given up 24, 41, 37, 40, and 28 points for an average of 34 points a game. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure the attitude of our defense will not fix that. Our offense. is not gonna score more than 34 points a game, no matter who's running it.

ETA -. I'm really sorry I don't have a good comeback for your ibleed comment but I'm not used to writing sophomoric statements and I left the junior high recess a long time ago
Since you are either unwilling or unable to read my posts in this thread, let me help you out.

"The Rogers injury is objectively bad as it puts all our eggs in one basket"

"I've wanted to see what Mike Wright can do if given more than a handful of player per game, but I also wish we had the option of switching back to Rogers if it doesn't work"

"Defense was good last year, terrible this year"

I don't expect us to win tomorrow and I think the defense will be just as bad as its been, if not worse. I've never stated or inferred otherwise. No idea why you tried to force me into a box, but swing and a miss.

A word of advice, next time you judge a book by its cover - at least take a peak at the cover.

Reactions: patdog

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Since you are either unwilling or unable to read my posts in this thread, let me help you out.

"The Rogers injury is objectively bad as it puts all our eggs in one basket"

"I've wanted to see what Mike Wright can do if given more than a handful of player per game, but I also wish we had the option of switching back to Rogers if it doesn't work"

"Defense was good last year, terrible this year"

I don't expect us to win tomorrow and I think the defense will be just as bad as its been, if not worse. I've never stated or inferred otherwise. No idea why you tried to force me into a box, but swing and a miss.

A word of advice, next time you judge a book by its cover - at least take a peak at the cover.
I know I have no problem reading a new book, but when I see a book that has the same subject matter that I've already read, I usually don't read it again sorry. I could tell this means a lot to you. I'll leave you alone,.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Or his stats were propped up by the system he was in before with 60 attempts s game with most behind the line of scrimmage
That's been proven wrong so many times. Why even try to stand on....well.. a lie? It's simply not true.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
That's gonna happen when you passing down field or hold on to the ball too long
No! That's a coaching issue no matter how you slice it.

It's either they can not teach this offensive blocking scheme that our OC spent a total of 1 YEAR IN (ie coaching problem) or he is too stupid to stop doing those things that don't work and put in those plays that DO work.

One way or the other, he isn't and has not done what he stated he could and would do.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Everyone keeps wanting them to simplify the playbook for rogers. Leach ran 4 plays so weight can run one more than will. That would be the rpo where the qb runs or can pass. He's done that pretty well
Again, BS. Nobody has suggested that he simply anything for Rogers. But either the OL can block for what you are calling or they can not. They can not... so why are we forcing a square peg in a round hole?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Not nearly as good. This D is terrible. But eould Leach have hit the portal more ? Would Arnett be better as DC than Brock ? None of our portal guys from the offseason are contributing on D
We did not miss on all of those 4 star players on this defense. It is coaching. Leach was a master at teaching and training players. We saw that with several 3 stars. You can not convince me that MSU missed on every friggin player we have on defense.

It is coaching

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

It's not Mike Vs Rogers. It's coaching staff vs coaching.

If you can not block it, it does not matter who you put back there. So why keep doing those things? Instead, if he would do what he stated clearly that he was going to do, we would not be where we are now.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
It's not Mike Vs Rogers. It's coaching staff vs coaching.

If you can not block it, it does not matter who you put back there. So why keep doing those things? Instead, if he would do what he stated clearly that he was going to do, we would not be where we are now.
Naw man. You WR cultists haven’t turned it into a Will vs Mike issue at all!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
And yet, his QB rating is 11 points higher than Rogers and he looked fine in warmups for the Arizona game (only one I saw live). He'll probably never be a great passer, but the story line that he just sucks is just wrong.
Well???

he sucks

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
We did not miss on all of those 4 star players on this defense. It is coaching. Leach was a master at teaching and training players. We saw that with several 3 stars. You can not convince me that MSU missed on every friggin player we have on defense.

It is coaching
Yes we did. Not one defensive player is going to get drafted before the 4th round.

not one

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm waiting on y'all to start calling for the back up QB. It will happen before the game is over.
I know you're joking, but I think if we're not gonna play Will, we should be playing Parson and taking our lumps. He can't do much worse, throwing the ball for sure.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I know you're joking, but I think if we're not gonna play Will, we should be playing Parson and taking our lumps. He can't do much worse, throwing the ball for sure.
No, I actually was not joking. We had people on here wanting Wright late in the first half of the SELA game! They have gone from 2-3 games to 1/2 game. Our fans think the QB is more important than the coach. :)

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login