Wright/Rogers - Let's get this out of the way

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
The coaches have had 2 weeks to build a game plan that wright can execute… I’d hope they put something good out there. But I have my doubts.
I don’t think this staff is capable of coming up with a good game plan, or coaching the players well enough to execute it.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I don’t think this staff is capable of coming up with a good game plans, or coaching the players well enough to execute it.
Because they are not all on the same page. From Top down... we are in a bad position.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Rogers is just an extension of Leach to the mouthbreathers. They hated Leach as coach because we didn’t RuNDaBaWl!!! enough. Now that Leach is dead, the only thing linking us to him is Rogers. So all the venom that went to Leach last year (as we were winning nine games and the Egg Bowl) is now solely going to Rogers. If Wright goes 9/22 for 78 yards with two picks against Arkansas, I predict they will be very quiet.

Reactions: blitz2Win

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Rogers is just an extension of Leach to the mouthbreathers. They hated Leach as coach because we didn’t RuNDaBaWl!!! enough. Now that Leach is dead, the only thing linking us to him is Rogers. So all the venom that went to Leach last year (as we were winning nine games and the Egg Bowl) is now solely going to Rogers. If Wright goes 9/22 for 78 yards with two picks against Arkansas, I predict they will be very quiet.
Yea this 4-8 stuff is so much better than that crappy 9-4 season last year, now we use a tight end.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
If only the HC would not have lied about changing the offense. If only he had gone with what we are tooled for. Damn straight. This OL can not block in this system because our HC hired Friend and other OFFENSIVE staff members before even knowing who the OC was going to be.

Friend stated the week before the WMU game that we still don't know who to target in blocking.

YEP... Damn Straight he should not have made whole sale changes. Dumbest **** ever done by a MSU coach.
A head coach hiring position coaches before the coordinator is just unheard of right?

Except when Leach did it when he hired Arnett :confused:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm just glad we have a game tomorrow where we might learn something about this team and staff. I honestly can't wait to watch. High drama.

Gonna be funny if we lose and coaches complain about not having their starting QB. Well - you never used him correctly to begin with.

Reactions: blitz2Win

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Yea this 4-8 stuff is so much better than that crappy 9-4 season last year, now we use a tight end.
Sweet dancing Jehovah, I don't know how many times I have to say it. Comparing records is completely irrelevant when comparing the offenses. Statistically, the offenses are pretty similar with a smaller sample size this year. Defense was good last year, terrible this year. It really, really isn't that hard to understand with only a modicum of thought.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
All week I have seen the Will Rogneeshees spouting off things like "Now we get to see Cam Newton 2.0!", "Finally getting your wish, King Wright gonna save the day!" and other similar strawman digs at those who have called for more Mike Wright usage this season.

Just because we wanted to see Mike Wright get a shot at QB DOES NOT mean that we are saying he's gonna save the season or even that he's a "better" QB than Rogers. Wanting to see Wright play also does not mean "Will sucks, don't let him back on the field". The calls for Wright were/are all based on which player could be more effective given issues with OL and or schematic advantages. The Rogers injury is objectively bad as it puts all our eggs in one basket. I've wanted to see what Mike Wright can do if given more than a handful of plays per game, but I also wish we had the option of switching back to Rogers if it doesn't work. We've seen Rogers play well this year and we've seen him play awful.

If Wright plays poorly tomorrow, this board will be flooded with "I told you so" posts and I think that would be terribly misguided. No one has ever claimed he is our savior only suggested that if given the opportunity he could run a more effective offense than Rogers. After his Arizona, LSU and Bama performances, I don't think that's really a crazy suggestion. If he is out, we will never know how Rogers would have done vs Arky, regardless of how well Wright plays. I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears, but I wanted to at least throw it out there in preparation of the game in case Wright doesn't play well. And if he does play well, lot of folks on this board gonna get really quiet.
I agree with much of this, but there are definitely some of our fans that "know" with certainty that Rogers is the biggest issue with the offense and switching to Wright would be an improvement despite the coaches - who see them both every day - thinking otherwise.

I don't think those are the loudest voices anymore, but just like we shouldn't straw man people with the "Mike Wright the savior" thing, we shouldn't ignore the fact a vocal group of our fans have pinned the majority of our offensive issues on Will Rogers for much of the season.

That said, it would be awesome if Mike is the spark that turns things around, I'm just not expecting it.

Aug 11, 2015
All week I have seen the Will Rogneeshees spouting off things like "Now we get to see Cam Newton 2.0!", "Finally getting your wish, King Wright gonna save the day!" and other similar strawman digs at those who have called for more Mike Wright usage this season.

Just because we wanted to see Mike Wright get a shot at QB DOES NOT mean that we are saying he's gonna save the season or even that he's a "better" QB than Rogers. Wanting to see Wright play also does not mean "Will sucks, don't let him back on the field". The calls for Wright were/are all based on which player could be more effective given issues with OL and or schematic advantages. The Rogers injury is objectively bad as it puts all our eggs in one basket. I've wanted to see what Mike Wright can do if given more than a handful of plays per game, but I also wish we had the option of switching back to Rogers if it doesn't work. We've seen Rogers play well this year and we've seen him play awful.

If Wright plays poorly tomorrow, this board will be flooded with "I told you so" posts and I think that would be terribly misguided. No one has ever claimed he is our savior only suggested that if given the opportunity he could run a more effective offense than Rogers. After his Arizona, LSU and Bama performances, I don't think that's really a crazy suggestion. If he is out, we will never know how Rogers would have done vs Arky, regardless of how well Wright plays. I'm sure this post will fall on deaf ears, but I wanted to at least throw it out there in preparation of the game in case Wright doesn't play well. And if he does play well, lot of folks on this board gonna get really quiet.
sad thing is even after you posted this, there will still be "I told you so" posts.

Reactions: StateCollege

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Sweet dancing Jehovah, I don't know how many times I have to say it. Comparing records is completely irrelevant when comparing the offenses. Statistically, the offenses are pretty similar with a smaller sample size this year. Defense was good last year, terrible this year. It really, really isn't that hard to understand with only a modicum of thought.
I stopped reading after your statement that comparing Wins and Losses is irrelevant. if you aren’t selling used cars for a living, you missed your calling.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If so many fans know that Rogers is what is holding the offense back and that Wright will be a big improvement they should be ecstatic tomorrow because obviously if that is true surely we can beat a team that has lost 5 straight games. No more noodle armed feet in concrete system QB. If a mobile QB is the cure we will have it. Mike has all the intangibles and should run the RPO like a pro. By 3 pm tomorrow we should know. If the offense looks good I will admit I was wrong. I doubt anyone else here has the balls to tho.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
Ole Thomas has been wearing out the Leach/Rogers man crush. He's just a troll.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If so many fans know that Rogers is what is holding the offense back and that Wright will be a big improvement they should be ecstatic tomorrow because obviously if that is true surely we can beat a team that has lost 5 straight games. No more noodle armed feet in concrete system QB. If a mobile QB is the cure we will have it. Mike has all the intangibles and should run the RPO like a pro. By 3 pm tomorrow we should know. If the offense looks good I will admit I was wrong. I doubt anyone else here has the balls to tho.
Would you mind quoting some posts where people say they "know" this ? I've seen numerous people saying want to see Wright play/give him a chance but I haven't noticed anyone saying he was a sure "cure" for our problems.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
What you don't understand is that with so many returning pieces on offense (QB, RB, bunch of WRs, entire OL), we should have taken another step on offense. And with the losses on defense, it's not entirely out of the question to take a step back on defense. But instead, we have made no improvement on offense (according to your stats), and went off the cliff on defense. And I would venture to say that any objective eye test view of the offense would yield that we were, in fact, better last year.

Arnett goes and changes the offense, disallowing the natural improvement from getting a year older, and allows the defense to badly regress. That's on him.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Agreed and by that same token we can also conclude that Roger's passing stats over the last three years "has to do with coaching within this system" and not his "ability".
Or his stats were propped up by the system he was in before with 60 attempts s game with most behind the line of scrimmage

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
If only the HC would not have lied about changing the offense. If only he had gone with what we are tooled for. Damn straight. This OL can not block in this system because our HC hired Friend and other OFFENSIVE staff members before even knowing who the OC was going to be.

Friend stated the week before the WMU game that we still don't know who to target in blocking.

YEP... Damn Straight he should not have made whole sale changes. Dumbest **** ever done by a MSU coach.
Let's not get crazy our line wasn't that great last year neither. The run blocking had gotten better each game outside of lsu. Our passing game sucked against lsu and bama

Reactions: pmack3641

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Would you mind quoting some posts where people say they "know" this ? I've seen numerous people saying want to see Wright play/give him a chance but I haven't noticed anyone saying he was a sure "cure" for our problems.
See River city dawg about 4 posts up

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Let's not get crazy our line wasn't that great last year neither. The run blocking had gotten better each game outside of lsu. Our passing game sucked against lsu and bama
But remember it's the same exact players. Same guys that are almost all seniors. Which is another point about next year. Not one returning starter on the OL. A couple guys who have played but no starters

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I really enjoyed our 9 wins and and wish coach Leach could have coached many more years here. Having said that, how many wins do you think we would have had last year with this year's defense ?

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Let's do be clear. Wright has been seen and evaluated from day 1 on campus. In fact, it started BEFORE he ever got here. So yes, he got his shot! Gets to prove himself daily.

Friggin WMU even knew what to do when he came in.
Whatever WMU did don’t work very well against him.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
You can chase your own tail in circles all you want. But I'm just going to point out that you can not refute with facts what's being stated. However... all I really need to do is post facts to refute yours..... because they are there.

1- 9 wins last season.
2- 70.33% in passes completed with a very large sample size. Did so while throwing 35/6 TDs in 2021 and 2022 to 8 ints.

Yep.. that's friggin horrible numbers!

WOW!
We scored 7 offensive points last year in 40 % of our power 5 games. We won the Ole Miss and Illinois games in spite of his **** tastic play. Overall wins aren’t a quarterback stat. We are losing this year from horrendous defensive play with the same offensive output.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I stopped reading after your statement that comparing Wins and Losses is irrelevant. if you aren’t selling used cars for a living, you missed your calling.
I know you didn't read the whole post because you missed the last sentence about giving it a modicum of thought. It's pretty clear your analytical skills are non-existent so let me break this down for you in simple terms.

A football record incorporates a combined performance in Offense (that's when we have the ball), Defense (that's when the other team has the ball) and Special Teams (that's when the kicking stuff happens). You can have a good record and have a bad offense/good defense and vice versa. The discussion at hand is the performance of the offense, thus rattling off a team's record doesn't tell you how good or bad the offense is. If you are still confused, let me refer you to the 6-1 Iowa Hawkeyes.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
And let's say we play your game for a second. Please refer to the chart below comparing last year's opponents (or equivalent) to this season.

ETSUWSELAW
ArizonaWArizonaW
LSULLSUL
KentuckyLSouth CarolinaL
AlabamaLAlabamaL
Bowling GreenWWestern MichiganW

I'll let you check my math to confirm, but I count 3-3 for both?

Reactions: patdog

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Don’t know if MW will be successful or not, he does have a strange throwing motion. Considering our offensive line hasn’t been good for the last several years and the defense has been bad this year I’d keep our expectations very low tomorrow. It’s worth a shot at changing QBS, even it it’s due to an injury.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
1 sack in 24 passing attempts last year. This year is 1 in 10

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Ark is pumped for this game.
I dnk if they are or not.... but they fought Bama and LSU tooth and nail. I was surprised arkansas lost to OM. But even that was a respectable game.

We were never close with LSU and Bama. I'm afraid of the games we have left, this game is our smallest chance to win.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
No game plan will ever work if a player can’t execute.

80% of fans can’t understand that he difference.
True… I think I’ve seen wright run about 5 plays… I sure hope he has more he can execute than that.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We scored 7 offensive points last year in 40 % of our power 5 games. We won the Ole Miss and Illinois games in spite of his **** tastic play. Overall wins aren’t a quarterback stat. We are losing this year from horrendous defensive play with the same offensive output.
Are you counting FGs? I’m not pulling up the schedule from last year but that sounds wrong. We scores 7 offensive points or less in 4 P5 games?

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
And let's say we play your game for a second. Please refer to the chart below comparing last year's opponents (or equivalent) to this season.

ETSUWSELAW
ArizonaWArizonaW
LSULLSUL
KentuckyLSouth CarolinaL
AlabamaLAlabamaL
Bowling GreenWWestern MichiganW

I'll let you check my math to confirm, but I count 3-3 for both?
Yes, we are just as well coached as last year, by gosh you’ve convinced me, we need to give Arnett and this wonderful coaching staff an extension. let’s lock them in before a blue blood steals them.

So since we are comparing records, we should finish up 9-4 right ?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Yes, we are just as well coached as last year, by gosh you’ve convinced me, we need to give Arnett and this wonderful coaching staff an extension. let’s lock them in before a blue blood steals them.

So since we are comparing records, we should finish up 9-4 right ?
I’m beginning to wonder if you are literally made of straw at this point.

Reactions: ETK99

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
I would not be surprised to see the coaching staff put together a game plan that plays to Wright's strengths and him have a good game vs UPig. However, if he does indeed have to play for multiple games and other teams defensive coordinators see how the coaches want to use him, each game going forward could get more difficult. I hope he plays well in every game that he plays in.
I would be surprised to see this coaching staff put together a good game plan.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
True… I think I’ve seen wright run about 5 plays… I sure hope he has more he can execute than that.
Everyone keeps wanting them to simplify the playbook for rogers. Leach ran 4 plays so weight can run one more than will. That would be the rpo where the qb runs or can pass. He's done that pretty well

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I don’t think this staff is capable of coming up with a good game plan, or coaching the players well enough to execute it.
I’ve given up on good. I’d accept a game plan, period

There really isn’t any facet of the game, on or off the field, that I feel like this coaching staff has covered

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login