WW III. Biden sending troops to Ukraine Border

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It doesn't work that way for mass troop movement. You clear the path ahead before moving large groups. The Russians would use crippling airstrikes to gain ground and then file in down the roads once it's safe setting up new forward areas until the next stretch is cleared via air, the same way we did in Iraq in 03. Straight up the poop shoot known as MSR Tampa from Kuwait to Baghdad in a couple of weeks. Air superiority cleared the way.

Even without the mud, terrain is way too difficult in the eastern Europe part of the world not to use roads for 95% of the way. Same as it was in WW2. Mountains, trees, rivers, cities, etc. The mud was a problem for the Germans invading Russia because the roads are unpaved and there were no other options. I have to imagine there are tons of paved roads in the Ukraine these days.

The desert of Southern Iraq doesn't have that problem. You guys were able to spread out as far as the horizon could see and drive straight ahead for days I imagine. If Russia invades the Ukraine, they will have to come right down the roads. And the artillery hanging around waiting on them better be dug in as hell considering the size and capabilities of Russia's Air Force... Infrared capable drones can spot a tick on a dog's *** from 50 miles away.**"

To your point, if there was a Desert Storm or WW2 style battle of armor/mech infantry on line in the fields, the muck would be a problem. I don't foresee that ever happening again though in major combat ops. The amount of change in tactics from when I joined in the late 90's to the mid 00's was massive.

Armor and artillery are still very valuable in the broad scope of combat, but I would imagine an artillery battery has a very short life expectancy trying to take on the Russian Air Force.

I don't disagree with what you're overall idea is. This would be the most significant global conflict Since Vietnam or Korea. But if Russia decides to go all in, it would be a rout in the conventional warfare unless NATO steps in. Similar to Desert Storm. Ukraine vs Russia in 2022 is not much different than Iraq vs US in 1991. Now we start talking about insurgency etc, that's a whole other ballgame. You can't win that **** for decades.

Ukraine has not been sitting back idle since the last time Russia did this. Most of thier modernization has been to the radar for their SAMs. It's not like Russia planes are going to go unabated. Ukraine does not need artillery. It is useless against moving tanks anyways. It would be a lucky shot. The best you could do is drop some WP hoping you catch the fuel drums on fire before they drop them. How ever artillery uses what is called, Shoot, move, Communicate. Russian will probably not know where it is. What Russia has to worry about is small man teams, dug in, camouflages with light armor defense weapons like our M19. England has sent a bunch of this stuff to them and the Canadians special forces are training them how to use it. It will not be a route. You act like Ukraine has no military. It is the third largest behind France and Russia. NATO has been aiding it for years now and they are defending not attacking. Attacking put's a lot of stress on military. Logistics alone is a pain in the ***. Now if I was a Ukrainian I would be more worried about my corrupt goverment making deals with the Russians.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
China is still pretty aggressive with their words and actions about Taiwan. Nothing has changed there.

Wasn't clear there, but I was referring to the comment about Ukraine, not Russia. It was the former Ukraine regime that Biden was de facto allied with. This regime, if not adversarial with Biden, is adversarial with the people that were cutting Hunter checks.

MrKotter

Aug 22, 2012
Too late for that, obviously with the misinformation spewed here.

Imagine if p45 was in charge, we would be learning Russian now.

You think anybody in the world is scared of this **** administration or our military with what they've been reduced to? The entire world is laughing at us.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
How about everyone in this fight state what the appropriate responses and outcomes would be so we can be objective later to determine if he 17's it up or not.

I'll go first: I don't know what the best answer is. There are no good ones.

One good answer would have been to not 17up the afghanistan withdrawal. If we had managed an orderly withdrawal from Afghanistan, that would have signaled some mild competence. Not a solution by any means, but it would have helped.

Another would have been to go fire anyone with brass that is more worried about pronouns and DEI than preparing to win wars. Again, not a solution, but it would signal seriousness, which would help a lot.

Another would have been to not sign off on the Nord Stream 2 pipeline and to develop contingency plans, probably involving LNG shipments, in the event Russia tried to shut off pipelines (which would be very painful for Russia also, because they need that money almost as much as europe needs the gas).

But yes, ultimately, these standoffs are difficult, which is why it's a bad idea to have incompetents undermining your position before you even get to the difficult parts.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
PirateDawg:"I'm more worried about China taking Taiwan than what is going on with the Ukraine."
Serious quesiton: Why are you worried about that? If it happens I suspect it won't affect my life or the lives of almost all Americans in any significant way. America has more pressing problems that affect my life, the lives of my family and friends and the lives of ordinary American citizens. Let China have have it. Why should I really care about this? I'll still buy stuff made in China, American coporations will still make stuff in China and China will be a still major trading partner because our economic and political elites want it to be one. Taiwan isn't Australia. It's a minor country and conquest of minor countries has happened throughout history. I'm not losing sleep over China taking over Hong Kong. My life goes on and I'll watch Super Bowl and go about my daily affairs regardless. I don't want it to happen but I'm not interested in spending a dime or sacrificing the lives of any friends and family to prevent it.

That would at least be a defensible position if it would not be catastrophic for the US if China held up the export of microchips for a quarter. If we had a coherent national policy on supply chain security and maintaining production capabilities for critical products/components, Taiwan might not be so critical. Of course, if we tried to have a coherent national policy on supply chain security it would pretty quickly devolve into tariffs and/or domestic production quotas for sugar, timber, steel, biodiesel, ethanol, and high fructose corn syrup.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
There are 200 US military personal in Ukraine training their army., We know it's at least that many because they are National Guard from Florida. There's probably even more that is not being reported. The military treats the media like mushroom. They feed them **** and keeps them in the dark.

Thank god.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Meh.... He's a yellow ribbon around the tree, airport clapper.

Nobody that has ever served has a problem with females in the military... Except for the betas that either were outperformed by them or tried to get laid and couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login